244. RUSS BAKER, THE TAINT OF CONSPIRACY THEORIES

I am a pretty hard core skeptic when it comes to conspiracy theories and I would like to get a debate going on the subject.

I define conspiracy theories as theories which postulate large scale conspiracies involving numerous people to explain publicly significant events. It is my contention that in the modern age such conspiracies would be nearly impossible to maintain for any significant period of time.

I do not deny the feasibility of small scale conspiracies and I do not deny the feasibility of conspiracies that do not involve publicly signficant events.

Did you mean to start a thread on the conspiracy guy interviewed before Russell?

I suspect the need for conspiracies involving corporations are mostly false, because corporations are already excessively free to act with minimal repercussions in global affairs.

I am a pretty hard core skeptic when it comes to conspiracy theories and I would like to get a debate going on the subject.

I define conspiracy theories as theories which postulate large scale conspiracies involving numerous people to explain publicly significant events. It is my contention that in the modern age such conspiracies would be nearly impossible to maintain for any significant period of time.

I do not deny the feasibility of small scale conspiracies and I do not deny the feasibility of conspiracies that do not involve publicly signficant events.
To be clear, there have certainly been conspiracies. As I understand it a "conspiracy theory" has to predict a conspiracy in advance of there being generally accepted evidence for it.

To be clear, there have certainly been conspiracies. As I understand it a "conspiracy theory" has to predict a conspiracy in advance of there being generally accepted evidence for it.

I do not think that there has ever been a conspiracy, in a country with a free press, of the type I described, i.e. large scale conspiracies involving numerous people to explain publicly significant events that last for significant periods of time before being revealed.

I do not think that there has ever been a conspiracy, in a country with a free press, of the type I described, i.e. large scale conspiracies involving numerous people to explain publicly significant events that last for significant periods of time before being revealed.

I suspect there might be covers ups where politicians turn a blind eye to corporate corruption.

Back