246. DR. MICHAEL GRAZIANO LIKENS NEAR DEATH EXPERIENCE RESEARCH TO ASTROLOGY RESEARCH

Oh, I would agree philosophy isn't going to convince people the way empirical data would. I think the largely agreed upon intrinsic randomness of the quantum world shows philosophy hits limits when describing the physical world. There's no logical reason that I can see to ever believe in acausal events that AFAICTell randomness entails.
Now that you mention this, are you familiar with this article?
https://www.bigquestionsonline.com/content/what-does-quantum-physics-have-do-free-will

I am digressing, I know :)

Now that you mention this, are you familiar with this article?
https://www.bigquestionsonline.com/content/what-does-quantum-physics-have-do-free-will

I am digressing, I know :)

Digression often leads to the best conversations!

A friend sent this to me last year. I've seen a few interesting takes on the QM & Free Will question, though I lack the physics knowledge to really judge any of these arguments.

I think belief in free will is always a reality gamble as from the outside you can only ever see the outcome of decision. Though perhaps our relationship to time isn't what we perceive with our limited senses...

Is it all deterministic/indeterministic? Is all our life written in the Book o' Fate? If the universe is timeless from the outside, or time simply doesn't exist, or there are forward and backward Arrows of Time, or reality is ultimately acausal patterns in the Platonic Math, what does it mean to even ask a question about free will?

Throw in questions about consciousness and I contend the distance between skeptic and proponent should get smaller.

Throw in questions about consciousness and I contend the distance between skeptic and proponent should get smaller.
Thanks for the articles, interesting material.

Indeed it should be the case, but in reality it doesn't seem so.
The philosophical questions that you pose are certainly interesting for anyone who's looking into the big questions: skeptic, agnostics, proponents...etc... but that's because all those questions sit on an intellectual plane. When you bring Ψ to the table, many of them will flee :) I did it myself for years.

I too tend towards an intellectual approach and I have learned, the hard way, that without the "experiential factor" one can spend an entire life running the analytical hamster in our mind at full speed :) I am all for philosophical questions but I had experiences that no specific philosophical approach could help me with. So I directed my attention to evidence for an existence of certain type of phenomena, and lo and behold there's aplenty, even though most of the "authorities" in the society around me says the contrary.

We're too much intellectually stuck on one specific philosophical position. It has many historical reasons to be what is, it is the result and continuation of our cultural evolution and it's part of our identity (maybe not all, but some) etc... etc...

Nonetheless we're filtering out an incredible amount of knowledge because it is at odds with the culture war between religion and science and the materialistic/reductionst approach of science.

But again I digress... :)

We're too much intellectually stuck on one specific philosophical position. It has many historical reasons to be what is, it is the result and continuation of our cultural evolution and it's part of our identity (maybe not all, but some) etc... etc...

Nonetheless we're filtering out an incredible amount of knowledge because it is at odds with the culture war between religion and science and the materialistic/reductionst approach of science.

But again I digress... :)

I think it'll be interesting if there's a general acceptance of Psi. IMO a lot of arguments about the odd nature of certain aspects of mind will come to public knowledge as I strongly suspect something like telepathy can't be explained in mechanist terms. (Possibly no human communication can -> See Feser's 'Hayek, Popper, and the Causal Theory of the Mind'.)

The paternalistic, paranoid position of organizations like JREF really seems like a melodramatic, delusional belief in a Chaoskampf to me, designed for ego inflation and elevation of trolling the internet into supposedly important work.

Massimo's made note of this, that many people join the skeptical movement for a chance to call others idiots. This Gossip Girl status playing seems very prevalent among internet skeptics.

Gary Wolf also discussed these issues in a Wired Article about his examination and ultimate refusal to join the New Atheists :

Prophecy, I've come to realize, is a complex meme. When prophets provoke real trouble, bring confusion to society by sowing reverberant doubts, spark an active, opposing consensus everywhere – that is the sign they've hit a nerve. But what happens when they don't hit a nerve? There are plenty of would-be prophets in the world, vainly peddling their provocative claims. Most of them just end up lecturing to undergraduates, or leading little Christian sects, or getting into Wikipedia edit wars, or boring their friends. An unsuccessful prophet is not a martyr, but a sort of clown.

Where does this leave us, we who have been called upon to join this uncompromising war against faith? What shall we do, we potential enlistees? Myself, I've decided to refuse the call. The irony of the New Atheism – this prophetic attack on prophecy, this extremism in opposition to extremism – is too much for me.

The New Atheists have castigated fundamentalism and branded even the mildest religious liberals as enablers of a vengeful mob. Everybody who does not join them is an ally of the Taliban. But, so far, their provocation has failed to take hold. Given all the religious trauma in the world, I take this as good news. Even those of us who sympathize intellectually have good reasons to wish that the New Atheists continue to seem absurd. If we reject their polemics, if we continue to have respectful conversations even about things we find ridiculous, this doesn't necessarily mean we've lost our convictions or our sanity. It simply reflects our deepest, democratic values. Or, you might say, our bedrock faith: the faith that no matter how confident we are in our beliefs, there's always a chance we could turn out to be wrong.

[Quoting Gary Wolf]:
Prophecy, I've come to realize, is a complex meme. When prophets provoke real trouble, bring confusion to society by sowing reverberant doubts, spark an active, opposing consensus everywhere – that is the sign they've hit a nerve. But what happens when they don't hit a nerve? There are plenty of would-be prophets in the world, vainly peddling their provocative claims. Most of them just end up lecturing to undergraduates, or leading little Christian sects, or getting into Wikipedia edit wars, or boring their friends. An unsuccessful prophet is not a martyr, but a sort of clown.
This immediately called to mind the doomsayers to whom you sometimes link, with their apocalyptic visions of a future where materialism/atheism is widely accepted.

Pat

This immediately called to mind the doomsayers to whom you sometimes link, with their apocalyptic visions of a future where materialism/atheism is widely accepted.

Pat

Let's hope those guys end up being clowns, but it wouldn't change the incompetence and lack of foresight of the morons running the materialist evangelist movements that masquerade as skeptics. They already claim there's genetic connections leading people toward immaterialism, perhaps they might have thought to project what happens if those religiously inclined people can't handle the conclusions of materialism?

The studies, after all, are already out there and they don't appear to offer an optimistic conclusion.

Let's hope those guys end up being clowns, but it wouldn't change the incompetence and lack of foresight of the morons running the materialist evangelist movements that masquerade as skeptics. They already claim there's genetic connections leading people toward immaterialism, perhaps they might have thought to project what happens if those religiously inclined people can't handle the conclusions of materialism?
Maybe they have thought it through, I don't know. In my view, people who are strongly inclined towards a particular belief system are likely to go with their inclination regardless of what someone else says. I think that often emotional/psychological drivers override clear-headed analysis. (And I'm not singling out religious believers; I think that can apply to anyone.)

There's another reason I'm not too worried about the doom and gloom scenarios. We seem to have an inborn capacity to persevere regardless of circumstances (within limits, of course). What is some existential angst compared to, say, the Great Depression? People tend to pick themselves up, dust themselves off and get on with their lives. I may contemplate the crushing meaninglessness of the prospect of a finite life, devoid of free will, in a purposeless universe, but come suppertime I still enjoy a good steak, and I still appreciate a beautiful sunset. :)

Pat

I may contemplate the crushing meaninglessness of the prospect of a finite life, devoid of free will, in a purposeless universe, but come suppertime I still enjoy a good steak, and I still appreciate a beautiful sunset. :)

Pat

I thought you weren't a materialist? Curious as to your views as you seem to present a rather unique P.O.V. around these parts given your more skeptical posts. (Don't get me wrong - you're obviously more educated than the typically typical JREF lackee who runs between here and there for simplistic talking points.)

In any case I admire the optimism, but not everyone will have the assets necessary to enjoy creature comforts in the brave new world of the materialists, unless one is suggesting New Atheist victory is quickly followed by some kind of global utopia.

If anything, I suspect most people will be victims as corporations, criminal enterprises, & governments incorproate/internalize a rather uncomfortable conclusion made by Peter Hankins -

"If people are just machines, why can't we treat them like machines?"

Hench the Live lyrics in my sig. <<insert appropriate smiley>>

Last edited by a moderator:
I

Sure, we could do that: but what would it be like living in such a society?

We could also say: if we're just part of a universal consciousness having experiences should we consider any one experience to be better or worse than any other? Should we relish the idea of living in a society where we treat everyone like machines - miserable though it may be - just so we can have the experience?

I may contemplate the crushing meaninglessness of the prospect of a finite life, devoid of free will, in a purposeless universe, but come suppertime I still enjoy a good steak, and I still appreciate a beautiful sunset. :)
And there you have it, my friends.

Now, should you feel like some introspection, you could ask yourself:
  • How does an infinite life provide meaning, and what the hell will I do with myself forever?
  • How can libertarian free will possibly work?
  • If purpose isn't chosen by me, then why would I want it?
You know, just in case the existential angst is getting to you.

~~ Paul

I thought you weren't a materialist? Curious as to your views as you seem to present a rather unique P.O.V. around these parts given your more skeptical posts.
I consider myself a skeptic, but I'm agnostic on most issues like materialism/dualism/idealism, theism/atheism, free will/determinism, etc.
In any case I admire the optimism, but not everyone will have the assets necessary to enjoy creature comforts in the brave new world of the materialists, unless one is suggesting New Atheist victory is quickly followed by some kind of global utopia.
It strikes me that the people who have the assets (and especially the free time) to enjoy creature comforts are the ones most likely to wring their hands over the implications of philosophical issues. :)

The New Atheists are no more representative of materialism or atheism than Young Earth Creationists are representative of religion.
If anything, I suspect most people will be victims as corporations, criminal enterprises, & governments incorproate/internalize a rather uncomfortable conclusion made by Peter Hankins -

Do you really believe that's how materialists think?

Pat

How does an infinite life provide meaning, and what the hell will I do with myself forever?
Read Eastern philosophy :)

How can libertarian free will possibly work?
There are more interesting ways to conceive free will.
Highly recommended read --> Rudolf Steiner's "The Philosophy of Freedom"

If purpose isn't chosen by me, then why would I want it?
It all depends on how "me" is defined. If it's just "ego mind/consciousness", then we're talking about a component of "me". Not the full picture.
Again Eastern philosophy goes in much more depth and sophistication on this subject.

Read Eastern philosophy.
I have read some. Care to explain it in your own words?

There are more interesting ways to conceive free will.
Highly recommended read --> Rudolf Steiner's "The Philosophy of Freedom"
I'll check it out.

It all depends on how "me" is defined. If it's just "ego mind/consciousness", then we're talking about a component of "me". Not the full picture.
Again Eastern philosophy goes in much more depth and sophistication on this subject.
Again, I read a bunch during my Transcendental Meditation years. I guess I'm just not very good at going with the flow.

~~ Paul

I consider myself a skeptic, but I'm agnostic on most issues like materialism/dualism/idealism, theism/atheism, free will/determinism, etc.

Gotcha.

It strikes me that the people who have the assets (and especially the free time) to enjoy creature comforts are the ones most likely to wring their hands over the implications of philosophical issues. :)

But the people exploiting those who don't have those creature comforts will probably be tapping into philosophies that provide opportunity for rationalization. And those who don't have comforts are also more vulnerable to criminals.

The New Atheists are no more representative of materialism or atheism than Young Earth Creationists are representative of religion.

Too bad they write the books, do interviews, make movies.

Do you really believe that's how materialists think?

It's how corporations, governments, and criminal enterprises think. It's hard to build morality up from the mere assumption of evolutionary wiring.

I've set out my basis for morality a few times here. It's'a mix of subjective and objective as i dont think you can have pure objective.

We start off by assuming three basic goals for humans: to survive, thrive and be happy. These are subjective but i suspect there is probably pretty massive agreement on these. We also recognise that humans are not self sufficient - we need othersto help achieve those goals. From those starting points i think you can derive a pretty broad based relatively objective moral system.

Example: i could treat everyone like shit but what is likely to happen: it doesnt make me feel good to do that, it hurts others and in return it may cause others to retaliate and hurt or refuse to help me. * society where everyone did that would be a prettty crummy place to live.

It's'not that simple of course and there is plenty of room for debate and at times there will be conflict that requires compromise.

I'm sure there are holes and aspects i havent thought of so i welcome constructive feedback - probably in its own thread though.

The thing is with basing morality on what we're made of is that its pretty easy most of the time to argue it multiple ways. Particularly with we are all one versions.

Back