Mod+ 250. DR. JEFFREY SCHWARTZ, SCIENCE’S INABILITY TO EXPLAIN PERSONHOOD

. There are many reactions going on in the cell but the cell has a highly organized internal structure and compartmentalization. It isn't just a vat of chemicals it is like a factory with assembly lines.

http://umdberg.pbworks.com/f/Alberts-Cell-1998.pdf

Cell, Vol. 92, 291–294, February 6, 1998

The Cell as a Collection Overview of Protein Machines
Bruce Alberts
President, National Academy of Sciences
We have always underestimated cells. Undoubtedly we still do today. But at least we are no longer as naive as we were when I was a graduate student in the 1960s. Then, most of us viewed cells as containing a giant set of second-order reactions: molecules A and B were thought to diffuse freely, randomly colliding with each other to produce molecule AB—and likewise for the many other molecules that interact with each other inside a cell. This seemed reasonable because, as we had learned from studying physical chemistry, motions at the scale of molecules are incredibly rapid.

But, as it turns out, we can walk and we can talk because the chemistry that makes life possible is much more elaborate and sophisticated than anything we students had ever considered. Proteins make up most of the dry mass of a cell. But instead of a cell dominated by randomly colliding individual protein molecules, we now know that nearly every major process in a cell is carried out by assemblies of 10 or more protein molecules. And, as it carries out its biological functions, each of these protein assemblies interacts with several other large complexes of proteins. Indeed, the entire cell can be viewed as a factory that contains an elaborate network of interlocking assembly lines, each of which is composed of a set of large protein machines.​

Here is a video of Dr. Schwartz from 2019

Jeffrey Schwartz: You Are More than Your Brain - Science Uprising

16:49
... so once you have a goal, yeah, the brain has a lot to do with pursuing that goal and especially keeping your attention on track of that goal. What neuroscience doesn't have a whole whole whole lot to say about is how you choose these goals.

19:09
Well if you're just your brain you're really not very different than a robot and people who are really dedicated to believing it's on the brain will say yes I'm basically just a robot. But a lot of people who think that they want it to all be the brain will go actually I don't really want to think I'm a robot

19:55
The other big argument philosophical dispute that you get in with - with people who think that way is that they genuinely want to be committed to the the belief that science can answer every question. So a lot of the cultural battle that goes on is around the issue of whether science can answer every question. And in our current culture that's a hard battle that is really being fought out every day in the culture at large. And and so a lot of the difference between the two sides really boils down to do you think science can answer absolutely every question and and and people who really want to believe in genuine choice and want to believe that human beings are intrinsically different than robots do not believe and I do not believe that science can answer every single question that that science can totally describe what a human being is.

Last edited:
Back