Mod+ 255. IAN MCCORMACK’S EXCLUSIVELY CHRISTIAN NEAR-DEATH EXPEIENCE

That was quite the interview to listen to, there was no point in the interview where Ian even remotely considered his own fallibility. Even though it was pretty obvious almost right from the start that there are holes in his interpretation. I think that Alex, you were right in immediately jumping on the lucifer remark and I totally agreed with you, the guy was absolutely going there; saying that everybody who didn't match with his interpretation were deceived by satan. Ian was quick to say that Alex put words in his mouth instead of admitting to an error on his part. His remark followed immediately after a different interpretation, a different story that contradicted his own. It was so obvious that he meant to say that this woman was deceived. His backpedaling on this was interesting because he said in more words that people that experienced the love of God didn't interpret it correctly namely that this love of God is the Christian God and that you can get to know this 'fact' through reading the bible.

I think that in this lies his justification in saying that the thousands of people that he spoke to all shared the same experience. Because the NDE literature is pretty clear that he is wrong about the majority of reports being Christian. The majority do actually talk about the 'being of love' in some form or another. It is just his own personal 'mission' to convince himself and others that this love means what the bible says it means. He later on confirms my suspicion after you, Alex, pushed him on this. He, Ian, said that the majority of NDE experiencers "pointed them to Christ" and "they have met Christ himself and had an incredible encounter of this love". He personally equates this love with Christ, that is his own personal interpretation.

So in terms of strangeness of NDE's, or the question you asked at the end of the interview, I think that this account fits actually perfectly in the overall picture of love, compassion, kindness and NDE in general. Ian sounded to me like a looney bin, he didn't exactly came across as a mentally healthy and stable person to me. Why take him seriously? All we should do is try to detach Ian's personal opinions and interpretation, those are clearly logically inconsistent and rely on fire and brimstone fear mongering. Obviously that is inside the bible, but outside of what we know from the NDE data that is available to us. Follow the data? Wasn't that your personal motto Alex? :)

I'm very glad that you stepped away from the idea that NDE's are somehow of a higher truth value, or as you put it 'unfiltered' accounts. People who had NDE's consistently told us that they did not lose their personality, their own personal thoughts, their own personal perspective. They did not turn into somebody else. They had to interpret and had no other option than to interpret their sudden realisation of being in a different environment through their own perspective as themselves. We have in this reality, in our everyday world, invented 'science', invented ways of investigating to get around this exact problem. If NDE's are part of reality, we should continue applying these investigative models. Subjective experience is not interchangeable with shared objective reality, has never been that way and will never be that way. We know that there is a shared objective reality within NDE, which is more in terms of archetypes or an underlying structure. Our understanding of NDE's is going to be abstract and has to be extrapolated from personal experiences. We're better off applying what we know from the social sciences, like psychology or anthropology, to get an idea of what this underlying structure is. For me the interesting part is not the personal experience, but exactly that underlying shared structure or archetypes of all experiences.

I have to say though that this interview was a fantastic insight into the religious fanatic part of NDE, glad you added it.

Well, then one goes beyond the veridical phenomena - such as ESP, psychokinesis and disembodied/non-local consciousness in general, one should remember not to conflate the Common, the Mythic and the Ineffable.

The Mythic (collective unconscious) is an inevitable transitory area between the Common (personal consciousness) and the Ineffable (global supraconsciousness).

Only a few people had dwelled really deep into the Ineffable during their transformative experiences - most of them perceived just a glimse of it, staying most of their time in the realm of the Mythic. Probably it was good for them, since the shock of leaving the consensual reality too far away might have blasted their sanity (or, maybe, their spiritual guides or other higher entities decided to stop them before their psyche start to shatter under the impact of the immence grandiosity of their journey).

Anyway, one of the features of the very deep NDEs is the barrier; when NDEr reachs it, (s)he understands (or being told?) that if this barrier is crossed, there would be no way back into the body. So, to be able to tell, (s)he has to return, satisfied by the mythically coloured spiritual message that (s)he received.

thx for this and the great quote from Jan Holden.

I might want to nitpick a little with the first part of what you said... I mean, MAYBE... but I don't think we know this, and I don't think we have to tools/methods to ever really know this.

Hot off the presses, E. Alexander's sequel book prefaced Time magazine Online.
http://time.com/3449990/proof-of-he...-being-forced-to-take-the-afterlife-seriously
exciting! thx for sharing. liked:
“The existing scientific concepts,” wrote German physicist Werner Heisenberg, “cover always only a very limited part of reality, and the other part that has not yet been understood is infinite. Whenever we proceed from the known into the unknown we may hope to understand, but we may have to learn at the same time a new meaning of the word ‘understanding’.”

I think that in this lies his justification in saying that the thousands of people that he spoke to all shared the same experience.

thx. interesting point here... kinda brings into focus the discussion we were having about Jeff Long's work. Do you want to rely on a medical doctor and trained scientist to collect and analyze responses to a 150 question survey, or do you want to depend on Ian to collect stories from the people he meets?

I once emailed Mccormack asking (politely) if he could direct me to any medical evidence or hospital medical staff who could confirm that this ever took place. I received a reply from his "secretary" to the effect that "we don't do that" but...that she'd be happy to help me book him as a speaker.

End of our exchange. But useful. I was able to take my pen and put a red line straight through his account.

The whole subject & experience of NDEs is fascinating, though I personally really don't have a grasp on what it all means. My conceit is I'm not entirely sure anyone else does either ;)

Anyway, I think there is a mainstream narrative version of a "classic" NDE in our current age, but that not everybody is fully aware of how that narrative differs, quite substantially, across cultures and times.

I think the following book is a good starting place to get a slightly different angle on how this narrative can vary:

http://www.amazon.com/Otherworld-Journeys-Accounts-Near-Death-Experience/dp/0195056655

Searching for this book, I came across the following video (I haven't yet seen, but will surely do soon) by the author. The description makes it seem highly relevant in several ways to the current thread of discussion "The World to Come: The Afterlife in Christian Thought" Carol Zaleski; Professor of World Religions, Smith College; Author, "Otherworld Journeys: Accounts of Near-Death Experience in Medieval and Modern Times" and "The Life of the World to Come" - Gordon College - Faith Seeking Understanding Series - Thursday, April 26 2012":

255. IAN MACCORMACK’S EXCLUSIVELY CHRISTIAN NEAR-DEATH EXPEIENCE

Interview with scripture-quoting Near-Death Experiencer, Ian MacCormack about his Christian interpretation of NDEs.

Alex great job in the interview. Hard to see how you could have handled it better!

As others have already said: my gut tells me this guy had the experience he claims (I don't think he is part of some Christian conspiracy as has been suggested) ,,, it's just that I'm having a hard time deciding if this guy is sincerely communicating how this thing has effected him,, or if he is just being an obstinate jerk...

I suppose both could be equally and simultaneously true. Yikes.

Alex's question at the end of the interview:

What do you make of the strangeness of NDE accounts?

As I've said in earlier posts: I think what we are grappling with here is one more example of a "non-physical" interaction between: some unexplained but very obvious non-physical aspect of all humans, and some as-yet unexplained and utterly non-understood "greater power" than our everyday selves, which may or may not be separate and apart from us.

Is it really surprising that just as the normal rules governing physics don't apply in the dream state (another non-physical realm which needs to be more fully figured out), our normal rules governing verbal communication perhaps don't apply in these cases as well? After-all, how many times do we need to be told that communication in these non-physical environments are purely mental, not physical?

So re: the fact that there is some sense of interpretation or even personalization that goes on in these situations? Well, it feels like par for the course for me. In other words- I think it could be a fundamental aspect of how we as physical humans must interact with this rather unfamiliar (for most living people) environment.

Not trying to shove this down anyone's throat. Just the way it looks from my perspective.

Shhhh. You're not supposed to say that in the land of make believe.
The is presumably supposed to be ironic, and it is.
If you believe that all this stuff is bullshit, then why are you here? How did you get un-banned? Did you have to lie to get back in? Are you just a troll?

The facts are that people do have near death experiences. We are meant to believe that we have an afterlife, either because of nature or because it is really true. Furthermore, I still can't get an answer from you skeptic trolls about the deeper laws of physics about how the physics constants are enforced, as they would give more detail about what else might exist.

If you believe that all this stuff is bullshit, then why are you here? How did you get un-banned? Did you have to lie to get back in? Are you just a troll?

The facts are that people do have near death experiences. We are meant to believe that we have an afterlife, either because of nature or because it is really true. Furthermore, I still can't get an answer from you skeptic trolls about the deeper laws of physics about how the physics constants are enforced, as they would give more detail about what else might exist.

There are many mansions in my father's house. But where is the mansion?!

On another forum, I am arguing that there could exist another Higgs field such that the particles do not interact with our standard model, but the wave-functions from each Higgs field might interact. In other words, the wave-functions between our known Higgs field and another, unknown/undetected Higgs field, would interact. So far, they are just waving me away by saying "it's unlikely". But that doesn't mean it's not actually happening in nature.

Last edited:

Mod intervention

Former DRS isn't a troll, he's now part of the furniture around here. We need Austrian hay barns full of lovely frauleins to keep our feet on the floor, if you see what I mean. He gets to stay.

Deeper laws? Like meta laws? But then you have an infinite regression of meta-laws.

That's why I don't think the laws of physics should be invoked to exclude possibilities. As to what can stop this regression...seems like the best answer is a big question mark.

Many of the better mediums of the last century placed the spheres(vibrations) around the earth ( for us Earth dwellers at least )

Those of us discarnates being of a grosser nature occupying a level/state closest to the present incarnates ( & most easily placed to obsess/possess/influence ).

here are a few relevant Q&A's from On the Edge of the Etheric

Q.Here on earth we can only appreciate the physical, namely, the earth, the sun and stars. What is contained in what we call space?

A.I can only answer you so far as my knowledge permits me. Interpenetrating your world is another world of substance in a higher state of vibration to the one you sense. The universe is one stupendous whole, but you only appreciate what you see and hear and feel. Believe me, there are other worlds of substance, finer than physical matter, in which life exists and of which you on earth can form no conception. Connected with your earth is this world to which I came after what you call death. Encircling your world are planes of different density, and these move in rotation with the rotation of the earth.

Q. Is your world, then, a real and tangible world?

A. Yes, it is very real to us, but the conditions in which we find ourselves depend on the condition of our mind. If we wish it we can be surrounded by beautiful country, Our mind plays a large part in our life here. Just as we live in surroundings suitable to our mental development, so we also attract to ourselves minds of the same type as our own. Like attracts like in this world. So also like attracts like so far as your world and our world are concerned. The evil-minded here are attracted by the evil-minded in your world, and the good here by the good with you. We can, at will, take on earth conditions by lowering our vibrations. Our bodies become heavier and more perceptible to the human eye, which accounts for our being seen at times by those who have the faculty on earth of sensing our vibrations.

Q. You told me your world revolved with this world. How does this happen, and also, do you travel with the earth round the sun?
A.The spheres nearest the earth do so because we belong to this planet. We cannot see your world revolving in space, because we revolve with you. We cannot see your world until we take on earth conditions. In taking these on, we slow down our vibrations, and come through from one plane to another, until we get our vibrations down more to a level with those of which your world is composed. We can all come down, but we cannot go up beyond our own plane until we are prepared for the change.

Q. What would happen to you if this earth cane into collision with another star or planet and was destroyed?

A. It would make no difference to us, our world is quite independent in physical matter.

Last edited:
I saw the movie about his experience and have read quite a bit about it. As NDEs go, his is the gold standard in many ways. Despite this, I found his answers in the interview to be disappointing. For full disclosure, I should point out that a couple years ago on a trip to London I wanted to visit his church to hear him in person thanks to how impressive his NDE was. It turned out I was there on a holiday of some kind so I missed him, but the point is, I thought he'd be an interesting person to hear speak. Indeed, he normally is a very good speaker, with good humor and excellent story-telling skill. However, this interview reminds me of the odd one with the elderly female skeptic who kept pretending she'd been cut off.

There were several moments when I wanted to jump in and mention some of my dreams of God to him (with the possible result he would be horrified). My gut feeling is that his NDE is untouchably solid as far as these go, and his interpretation is quite possibly correct to a point--as it relates to him. In other words, just as my 'path' in life is to be an artist, and someone else is a telephone repairman, his 'path' may be interpret this in a strictly Christian way and he may be right to do so, but that doesn't mean it is the same for everyone. Where his examples fall apart (apart from his non-existent arguments, but if we give him a hand) are with reincarnation studies. When you have Christians reincarnated into Muslim, Hindu, Atheist, etc families (and vice versa) the whole 'one true religion' idea falls apart.

AP

how about this:
- first, I gotta be a decent human being (secular democracy)
- then, I gotta get better at this love/compassion/connection thing that I'm much better at talking about than practicing.
- everything else is in some way or another a distraction/illusion/not-that-important stuff along the way. So if Jesus (or in my case Neem Karoli Baba) helps me sleep better at night, or helps me be better at the first two, then great... but it's ultimately about me discovering/realizing me.

I was just talking about this with a friend last night in connection to a friend of mine who is, in my opinion anyway, a very generous, kind, and helpful person. He is also an atheist and has written many anti-psi, anti-religion stories in the media. My feeling is that the way he behaves trumps what he believes. He says he doesn't believe in God, but he behaves in a way that makes it clear that beneficence is very close to his heart. Which is more important? I've met some Christians who are quite nasty on a personal level, the opposite of this other friend. Frankly, I doubt their profession of 'belief' counts anywhere near as much as an atheist's good and generous behaviour to others.

AP

Back