Mod+ 262. WILL STORR ON THE ENEMIES OF SCIENCE

Huh. Interesting. So . . okay . ya got issues then? lol. Seriously I don't know what motivates that. I'd offer that you play with it. Objectively play with coming up with more expanded possibilities in the basic day-to-day. For instance you could, while drinking something, muse on the energy within the atoms and on how those atoms can be in more places than one at the same time, etc . . .

Perhaps without the mystery we'd all be bored out of our minds right? I suppose I'm meant to question.

My Best,
Bertha

Perhaps without the mystery we'd all be bored out of our minds right? I suppose I'm meant to question.
I don't know about "all." I see it as your path is your path and as good as any other. Enjoy, question, peek into the crevices, boldly go where . . .;)

Alex's questions at the end of the podcast:

Do you have a way of checking whether others, or you yourself, are going too far in support of favoured beliefs? Of evaluating whether emotion rather than evidence is the driving force? Do you have any recommendations for avoiding "crossing the crazy line"?

This problem infests all aspects of life not just scientific and metaphysical beliefs. A good illustration of the problem is the archetypal stepmother in fairy tales. Stepmothers see all the good qualities and none of the bad qualities in their natural children, but they see only the bad qualities and none of the good in their stepchildren. Their bias filters their perceptions and influences how they judge the children. This is perceptual bias. It illuminates the controversy over materialism. It afflicts us in our relationships with other people - friends, acquaintances, and coworkers, and in our political and economic opinions. People who voted for the current president only see good in what he does and make excuses for or ignore criticisms of him, but they only have criticism for the previous president. People who voted for the previous president only see the good that he did and only have criticism for the current president. On a single topic in science or metaphysics you might be able to look at both sides objectively, but I think as a general problem it would be extremely difficult to root this out wherever it occurs in your life. You have to first recognize the problem and desire to try become objective and then you would have to work at it, watch for it in your thinking and feelings and try to let go of your emotional attachments and try see the situations objectively. The great difficulty is that if you assume there is good and bad, right and wrong - how do you know your discernment is really objective and not biased by your emotions or other preferences? Even with objective criteria, bias will influence how you apply them.

Last edited:
Back