Mod+ 265. DR. GREGORY SHUSHAN ON CROSS-CULTURAL COMPARISON OF NEAR-DEATH EXPERIENCES

Yes, good point. But then I can't stand the New Atheism anyway. The whole idea that we can make the world a better place by replacing organized religion with scientific materialism is obviously ridiculous. But unlike you, I also think it's ridiculous to think that Psi and NDEs can make the world a better place.
That some part of us will survive death wouldn't bring solace to millions if it was scientifically established? Good god really? Can anyone be this ... stupid?

Last edited:
A 1907 NDE

In Kurt Leland's 2002 book The Unanswered Question, there is an account of a Hopi Indian's near-death experience which considerably predates the publication of Raymond Moody's Life after Life in 1975. It was Life after Life that brought the NDE to public attention and made it part of pop-culture awareness. NDEs reported before that time can hardly be explained in terms of New Age memes.

The NDE in question follows the standard pattern of many NDEs but with culturally specific elements. In certain respects it reminds me of the NDEs reported by Hindus in India. As Leland himself points out, the account both underlines the cultural consistency of the core features of the NDE and provides an example of cultural variations in terms of iconography and narrative.

Back