Mod+ 276. DR. ALAN HUGENOT, IANDS AND THE FUTURE OF NDE RESEARCH

I was responding to an NDE experience that claimed to have had an experience with God, it wasn't you I was aiming at, if you are not into God as a topic then skip my posts, about God, I'm not forcing you to read my posts, I was responding to a specific comment where God was the theme.

Rather than attack my willingness to discuss God, why not attack the ideas instead. Or just skip my posts.

You've addressed that post to Bertha and yet you are addressing me !

I haven't attacked your desire to discuss the concept of God. Where did I do that ? Discuss away, by all means, Johnny and the best of British luck with it. Tatta !

If you find a comment as innocuous as this one a problem...then you need to develop a thicker skin. Strange ......

Personally, I try to leave the who is God bit out of NDE research. (My comment)

I was responding to an NDE experience that claimed to have had an experience with God, it wasn't you I was aiming at, if you are not into God as a topic then skip my posts, about God, I'm not forcing you to read my posts, I was responding to a specific comment where God was the theme.

Rather than attack my willingness to discuss God, why not attack the ideas instead. Or just skip my posts.
Sorry Johnny. I was just agreeing with Tim. God is a subject I generally avoid discussions about - primarily because often this is what ensues!

Cheers Mate,
Bertha

If you find a comment as innocuous as this one a problem...then you need to develop a thicker skin. Strange ......

But I

My initial engagement wasn't with you and my discussion was about the NDE experiencer who met God. If you personally have no interest in discussing God, then why engage with me, ?

You then state in other comments you don't think the topic of God can be approached, to which I already gave rebuttals. But again if you have no interest in the topic please feel free to skip my posts. There is no need for us to argue.

I found some info about him here. He is not a theoretical physicist as an occupation as it seems, but he studied physics and mechanical engineering at the Oregon Institute of Technology. He holds a doctorate of science in mechanical engineering, and has had a successful career in marine engineering, serving on committees that write the ship-building standards for the United States, and has a pretty impressive CV in his field of engineering.
http://www.experts.com/Profile/ResumeClick?ResumeID=6075

As a "nationally recognized expert in physics"; I would say he is more of a nationally recognized expert in the physics of engineering than theoretical physics. But that's not to say that he isn't a expert in physics in general.

thx for pointing out. my bad. I wasn't too focused on this because I knew his background didn't relate to his NDE, but I should have made that more clear.

To clarify: I should have formed my question a bit differently. "Are you sure about his expert status in physics?" would be a more precise and correct formulation. This is an important addition, since I do not question Hugenot's expertise in engineering and technology - I did read his CV, and found it quite impressive.

But I

My initial engagement wasn't with you and my discussion was about the NDE experiencer who met God. If you personally have no interest in discussing God, then why engage with me, ?

You then state in other comments you don't think the topic of God can be approached, to which I already gave rebuttals. But again if you have no interest in the topic please feel free to skip my posts. There is no need for us to argue.

" !If you personally have no interest in discussing God, then why engage with me, ? "

Well, I thought you appeared friendly so I was just passing the time of day, you know the kind of thing, Johnny .....maybe I was misled by your avatar. If I was you I'd change it to Yosemite Sam. Oh wait, some other hot head has grabbed that :)

I'm sorry if I misunderstood you Tim. Seriously I don't want to do that.

I'm out for the night. Catch this thread later.

Reactions: tim
Frustrating is the word for it!
I don't really know where to start - from Sam Parnia's point of view, with friends like Alex, who needs enemies?
Parnia's quote about seeing Jesus was perfectly reasonable, as Hugenot explained, the evidence is that people see what they expect to see ...otherwise Buddhists would be seeing Jesus and Christians would be seeing Buddha.
Does Alex really think every god ever invented is waiting around to greet their faithful followers?
Forget paradigm change - I'm wondering if Alex is about to turn born again Christian.
Parnia is the closest NDE science has come to gaining any kind of respect in the mainstream world - why on earth do you think Alex that he worked so hard organising the AWARE study if he didn't ultimately believe that something is going on?
The quote about when pushed Parnia said something about it might turn out to be traditionally explainable, was in all probability something to persuade his critics that he hadn't made up his mind and was biased....maybe a way to persuade them to release funding.
I admired Hugenot for keeping calm faced with your constant mocking Alex.
Why is Parnia's idea of images above beds so ridiculous in your view? It might be a long shot but if it finally pays off with just one solid case, it could move NDE science forward in one leap - and where will you be then Alex? Still criticising Parnia for moving to the materialistic 'dark' side?
Of course mainstream science is clinging on desperately to its old ideas and it won't change overnight but for goodness sake, without people like Parnia and Hugenot, it will take another hundred years.

I agree with your comment in part, but I don't see how you conclude that Alex is about to turn born again Christian , I found nothing in this interview that indicated that, in fact it was the opposite, I found Alex to have no concern regarding any religious association. He just wants bare facts.

I also understand Alex's frustration with the aware study model, and that it hasn't produced any conclusive information.

My only response would be what does Alex suggest as an improvement or a better model.?

Too much emphasis appears to be given to what exactly the being of light is. I recall that one of IANDS' own newsletters reported a group NDE where each of its members saw "something" meaningful to them, yet they were aware that they were not seeing the same thing. One saw the Buddha, another an angel and the last one a family member. If you think that trying to explain the anecdotal differences is bad, try actually experiencing it.

Too much emphasis appears to be given to what exactly the being of light is. I recall that one of IANDS' own newsletters reported a group NDE where each of its members saw "something" meaningful to them, yet they were aware that they were not seeing the same thing. One saw the Buddha, another an angel and the last one a family member. If you think that trying to explain the anecdotal differences is bad, try actually experiencing it.
In a few cases (perhaps many) the light-being may have no identifiable features, it is recognised only by the love, compassion and wisdom which is emanated. I'm sure I've seen cases where the experiencer has later used earthly knowledge and logical deduction to assign a label to the being afterwards.

I think another of the problems is our reliance on the use of words to describe something which cannot be put into words. The experience is often summarised as impossible to describe, and yet we depend upon descriptions.

Well, I got around to listening to the podcast. I must say it had me cringing a bit and shouting at my computer at the start.

First, Alex started off on the wrong foot by asserting (incorrectly) that the original AWARE study had used a computer screen displaying images. In fact there were shelves installed upon which were placed a printed image (or possibly some other object). It kind of suggested that Alex hadn't really done his homework, which could weaken any arguments made. Of course Alan responded politely and tolerantly. This might account for a tendency later for the two to speak past one another (which was a comment made earlier in this thread).

Second what was it supposed to achieve? Well, NDErs report floating outside their body. The experiment was hoping to test whether that was an objective experience, or simply a mentally imagined experience. More broadly I suppose the aim was to pin down the experience in both time and space, but even if it can only be pinned down to a particular time (as was done in the AWARE study) that represents a positive result, in that an experience was reported at a time where according to conventional theories the patient could not have been conscious.

I think Alex's statement "He [Parnia] did get kind of a no-result from it" suggests that Alex has succumbed to the sceptical spin, portraying a positive result as a zero.

Then Alex goes on to state that the NDE defies any materialistic explanation. Now that is stating a conclusion which the AWARE study was/is aiming to prove. Perhaps this may be self-evident to Alex, but I guess that simply means he wasn't in the target audience for this particular study. Luckily there are many other researchers looking into NDEs, all using their own particular perspective to bring some light to the subject.

I could say more, I have a fair amount of sympathy with Alex's views, but I don't find myself fully in agreement, perhaps talking to too many sceptics has induced a certain pessimism which in my opinion may be colouring his viewpoint.

In particular I don't see the unknowable nature of some of the deeper NDE content as 'placating the atheists'. I don't describe myself as an atheist, but I don't feel nearly as uncomfortable as Alex appears to be with some of the ideas which were discussed.

What is exactly a group NDE? You mean a shared death experience, or is it something else?

Here are much less frustrating-to-sit-through interviews with Alan Hugenot:

Unfortunately, I think these two videos illustrate that Alex doesn't always get the best out of some of his interviewees.

Alex, I would urge you to watch these videos to see the point. At one point Alan Hugenot sounded quite frustrated with the interview - I guess he hoped to talk more freely.

David

Well, I found it frustrating for a different reason. Alex had what he wanted to talk about, and Dr. Hugenot, what he wanted to talk about. They rarely engaged. Just one of those things!
this is a fair critisim... but I was kinda peeved... I mean, the folks as IANDS recommended Alan in order to spread the word about the conference, so I wanted to talk about NDE research. I was dissatisfied with the way he handled the topic.

When Parnia says "of course he'll see that" I don't know what he means.
agreed... I don't know what he means either. then again, I never really understood what he meant when he said NDEs are probably a trick of the brain.

Sam Parnia is kind of frustrating but one thing seems kind of apparent to me, towing the mainstream line is much more likely to get funding than making it obvious that your thinking is outside the mainstream.
agreed. but this leaves all having to read tea leaves in order to figure out what he really means.

[/QUOTE]I found the interview frustrating, Alex has definite opinions and Dr Hugenot frustrated him I think by returning to things about NDE's and consciousness that Alex has long since moved past here on Skeptiko. Even I squirmed a little when Dr Hugenot quoted Shermer and Susan Blackmore as evidence that 'we' we're making progress. Although fair does to Dr Hugenot, he only let Alex push so far without pushing back. You know that he's basically given up when Alex goes quiet. :)[/quote]
you're right... Alan pushed my buttons... I'm sure I pushed his. despite everything, I'm still an optimist... I like to think that organizations like IANDS can make a difference... and advance science. I get frustrated when I don't see that happening.

Personally, I try to leave the who is God bit out of NDE research. Whatever is so, is so ( wow, ain't I smart ! ) . I posted the Art Bell interview with Pam Reynolds recently. If you listen to it all the way through she makes a lot of sense, IMHO and she tells us some extraordinary things.
Hi Tim... can you provide a link. thx.

Back