A Neuroscientist Uncovers A Dark Secret

S

Sciborg_S_Patel

From the link:

Fallon's being tongue-in-cheek — sort of. He doesn't believe his fate or anyone else's is entirely determined by genes. They merely tip you in one direction or another.
and

Diane probably does not need to worry, according to scientists who study this area. They believe that brain patterns and genetic makeup are not enough to make anyone a psychopath. You need a third ingredient: abuse or violence in one's childhood.
In any case, MysticG seems to have already offered a rebuttal in the other thread. But I'd note that it is important to acknowledge the physical brain does effect us, as we can see by people suffering from clinical depression. As one of my friends who was abused for years said, "I broke the cycle where abused become abusers", so we know people can change.

On the other hand, we should entertain the possibility that there are immaterial means to helping said people while ensuring they don't opt out from the science based medicine they're ideally given access to. And there should be judicial reform, as IMO the system is too focused on profit for private prisons and retribution over rehabilitation.

But that just takes us back to hating the sin and not the sinner.

As one of my friends who was abused for years said, "I broke the cycle where abused become abusers", so we know people can change.
I thought neuroplasticity officially established that a person was able to change their own structure.

On the other hand, we should entertain the possibility that there are immaterial means to helping said people while ensuring they don't opt out from the science based medicine they're ideally given access to.
I'm going to assume "immaterial means" means occultic for the purpose of argument; that would require some kind of organization from occult practitioners, and occultists aren't really big on the whole being indexed in a database and bothered all the time thing. Regardless of whether one believes their work is placebo or has even the faintest air of legitimacy the obscurity (which, occult is quite literally named to be) isn't going to help.

Recently on TV there was an ER show where a man shoved an icepick in his head to silence voices he claimed came from demons. What occultic potential would one recommend for that?
  • A church exorcist? There aren't that many to bother about it.
  • A medium? How do you find a good one if you don't already personally know someone?
(I am assuming for the sake of argument that the psychologist option has already been tried and that telling him "demons aren't real you are just being psychotic" didn't make him feel any more cured.)

And there should be judicial reform, as IMO the system is too focused on profit for private prisons and retribution over rehabilitation.
Maybe, but that's a massive and separate debate.

S

Sciborg_S_Patel

I'm going to assume "immaterial means" means occultic for the purpose of argument; that would require some kind of organization from occult practitioners, and occultists aren't really big on the whole being indexed in a database and bothered all the time thing. Regardless of whether one believes their work is placebo or has even the faintest air of legitimacy the obscurity (which, occult is quite literally named to be) isn't going to help.
Oh I just meant stuff like prayers or even just trying to will one's self out of mental illness, but I suppose shamanic healing practices and such would also apply here. I just figure acknowledging the brain influencing mind is important as people do need treatments our current medical community provides.

Maybe, but that's a massive and separate debate.
Agreed, I just wanted to note that one of the big free will skeptic points is prison reform but this same impetus for reform is covered by spiritual tradition. But definitely not a conversation for CD, more like an "Other Stuff" thing.