Mod+ A Third State of Consciousness?

A new study suggests the existence of a state of mind called dysanaesthesia, which is neither consciousness nor unconsciousness.

With anesthetics properly given, very few patients wake up during surgery. However, new findings point to the possibility of a state of mind in which a patient is neither fully conscious nor unconscious, experts say.

This possible third state of consciousness, may be a state in which patients can respond to a command, but are not disturbed by pain or the surgery, according to Dr. Jaideep Pandit, anesthetist at St John's College in England.

http://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-w...-of-consciousness-could-exist-say-researchers

What may explain this phenomenon?

Here we again see the "problem" with the term consciousness. This meaning - which is akin to "standard human waking state" - is not nearly the one that I, or many who express that "consciousness is primary", have in mind by the term.

I don't know what you mean by "consciousness is primary", but I also take issue with how "they're" using the word consciousness there.

When it comes to mental states that are not "unconscious", I think there are many of them. Dreaming, lucid dreaming, sleep paralysis with hallucinations, highway hypnosis, deja-vu type states, etc, etc.
I definitely agree with you.

I don't know what you mean by "consciousness is primary", but I also take issue with how "they're" using the word consciousness there.

When it comes to mental states that are not "unconscious", I think there are many of them. Dreaming, lucid dreaming, sleep paralysis with hallucinations, highway hypnosis, deja-vu type states, etc, etc.
I mean that all physical, all things, events, etc are expressions of consciousness. IOW consciousness is primary. This is one case where my usage of a term is not in line with some of the standard definitions. I don't often use "consciousness" as meaning "human awareness"

BTW I also hold that most of what people term "hallucinations" are actual events.