Afterlife Debate: Hitchen's, David Wolpe

Red

New
I really enjoyed this debate and would be interested in what some of the atheists on the forum think about it since most of you have as much, if not more, knowledge of the near death studies than Hitch and the gang.

I am particularly impressed with the way that Wolpe and Shavit handled themselves. They seem more than secure with their positions on the afterlife , exhibit good humour and also hold their ground when the straw men are being thrown at them. Their frustration only started to show after a full hour of the usual fallacies. I would definitely like to listen to those two again in the future.

Sam Harris' performance I found a little lacking, but I suspect it was because he was in the beginning processes of an understanding of spirituality and the afterlife as evidenced in his book Waking up; A guide to Spirituality without Religion (2014). That book is on my shelf waiting to be read - I'll get back to you on that.

Hitchens has a real problem accepting the possibility that someone could believe in an afterlife for any other reason than personal comfort and fear relief. Reminds me of some prominent forum members :)
RIP Christopher. He died the same year this was filmed.

I really enjoyed this debate and would be interested in what some of the atheists on the forum think about it since most of you have as much, if not more, knowledge of the near death studies than Hitch and the gang.

I am particularly impressed with the way that Wolpe and Shavit handled themselves. They seem more than secure with their positions on the afterlife , exhibit good humour and also hold their ground when the straw men are being thrown at them. Their frustration only started to show after a full hour of the usual fallacies. I would definitely like to listen to those two again in the future.

Sam Harris' performance I found a little lacking, but I suspect it was because he was in the beginning processes of an understanding of spirituality and the afterlife as evidenced in his book Waking up; A guide to Spirituality without Religion (2014). That book is on my shelf waiting to be read - I'll get back to you on that.

Hitchens has a real problem accepting the possibility that someone could believe in an afterlife for any other reason than personal comfort and fear relief. Reminds me of some prominent forum members :)
RIP Christopher. He died the same year this was filmed.

Interestingly enough I find myself in agreement with Hitchens' criticism of monotheism, or the assumption there is one true belief that everyone must follow.

Edit: And so are Wolpe and Shavit :)

Edit Edit: Sorry I missed the part about being an atheist. I'm not an atheist. Not sure what I am, but I know I'm not an atheist.

Last edited:
Back