Afterlife - Documentary

Questions about the afterlife are scientifically explored through modern research into near-death experiences. Through interviews with noted researchers like best-selling authors on the subject, Raymond Moody MD. PhD. and Jeffrey Long MD., and testimonials from people that have had near-death experiences, this documentary explores the evidence of the afterlife using insightful interviews, case studies, event re-enactments and rich rendering of classic spiritual art on the subject. Afterlife is a provocative and inspirational examination of the science, and evidence, of life after death
http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/afterlife

Here are two videos, one really quite annoying one with Chris French and his usual take on NDE and then there's the second one which is worth watching even though the picture kept breaking up into green squares for some reason ??

The first one could have been so much more interesting if it had been assembled or edited better. I really wanted to hear the chap tell us about his NDE from a cardiac arrest but we only got a tiny little snippet of it as though hell, that's not very, interesting, we'll cut that out and give them an extra large portion of French fancies. Annoying.

http://www.dailygrail.com/Spirit-World/2016/4/Life-After-Life-Discussion-the-Near-Death-Experience

The first one could have been so much more interesting if it had been assembled or edited better
Annoying that French named Susan Blackmore as someone who has researched this stuff, what he doesn't say is it was years ago! Is she the best that they have?There is no comparison between an NDEr saying 'it was more 'real' than life on earth' and some g- loc experience in a centrifuge, but French insists that they're 'similar'.
I know Ray OBrian quite well, but we recently seem to have fallen out, we met at an NDE group meeting.

Annoying that French named Susan Blackmore as someone who has researched this stuff, what he doesn't say is it was years ago! Is she the best that they have?There is no comparison between an NDEr saying 'it was more 'real' than life on earth' and some g- loc experience in a centrifuge, but French insists that they're 'similar'.
I know Ray OBrian quite well, but we recently seem to have fallen out, we met at an NDE group meeting.
I agree, Steve. Listening to French taking us through the stages of the classic NDE I was so bored I passed the time trying my best to overlay the flimsy sceptical explanations upon what he even admitted were incredibly profound events.

The OBE for instance (sceptical explanation disassociation and disruption of the angular gyrus) the journey up the tunnel (sceptical explanation reduced blood flow to the eye) ..brilliant light ( cells at the centre of the brain firing and dying last) deceased relatives (wishful thinking) life review (that just occurs naturally)

That's interesting Steve, that you know Ray O'Brien. Did he tell you his story ? Have you had a NDE ?

That's a very good point re Blackmore. Firstly, exactly what research has she done herself? As far as I can see very little since her PhD which was years ago.

Secondly, even if we accept it was genuine research,what does her research show? Nothing. It seems akin to me saying that I have researched survival for ten years and not seen a materialised form, therefore no one else has and it's impossible.

Thirdly why accept her research showing precisely nothing but discredit the much more substantial body of research, much of it by eminent scientists and reliable witnesses, showing that something of interest does happen? Bias.

Last edited:
No, I haven't had an NDE, not in this life anyhow.:) Interestingly enough, Ray was the only person to say to me that he thought that I had, although where he got that idea from was unknown to me.

Yes, we all met up a few times in London and those who had NDEs told their stories more than once. What I remember of Ray's was that he saw a man in robes in front of him saying "Ray's here" to a different man standing next to him who was looking at a 'book' he was holding. Looking up and seeing Ray one of them said something like "He shouldn't be here?". Lurking behind Ray was 'death', but I don't think he actually saw 'him', but he knew that he was there. I'll contact him and see if he has a transcript of the whole thing.

He's on Facebook, but I didn't feel that his posts were doing me any good, so I blanked them, he must have seen that, and de-friended me - which is fair enough. It's a shame though, as we communicated well about things, I've no problem with him really. I think he'd have a lot in common with some people on the forum.

"He shouldn't be here?". Lurking behind Ray was 'death', but I don't think he actually saw 'him',
Thanks, Steve. "Death" as the grim reaper figure or "death" as the knowledge that it was time for him to checkout ?

I'll contact him and see if he has a transcript of the whole thing.
That would be good, thanks

What I remember of Ray's was that he saw a man in robes in front of him saying "Ray's here" to a different man standing next to him who was looking at a 'book' he was holding. Looking up and seeing Ray one of them said something like "He shouldn't be here?".
I was able to get this true recollection from an emergency room doctor in the USA

" We did have medical student maybe 10 years ago who had chest pain and died suddenly in the ER. He was defibrillated and brought back to like. He did have a fascinating after death experience of seeing a hand pull open the curtain (he could not see anyone else) and two bald men in robes with a purple sash holding boxes came and stood at the foot of his bed. One went off to the side and started doing something with the box. He remembers going from abject fear with his severe chest pain to sudden peace as he died. He remembered waking up to see the defibrillation paddles over him."

Steve, can you remember if he elaborated on the OBE he appears to have experienced ? He was perched over his own physical head ? Did he say anything else.

Thanks, Steve. "Death" as the grim reaper figure or "death" as the knowledge that it was time for him to checkout ?
More the grim reaper figure.

Steve, can you remember if he elaborated on the OBE he appears to have experienced ? He was perched over his own physical head ? Did he say anything else
He was resuscitated around nine or ten times, so his NDE is not one part, but lots of disjointed parts as I recall. I can't remember him saying much about OBE, but just 'arriving on a train' I think, before jumping down and seeing the cloaked pair I mentioned earlier. I remember him saying something about feeling the sand/earth(?) with his feet/toes.

When he woke up in hospital, he was a different guy, I'm sure that he didn't recognise his family. It appears that before the NDE he walked more on the dark side of life, now he's changed that around somewhat. I've sent him an email, so hopefully he will respond.

I can't remember him saying much about OBE, but just 'arriving on a train' I think, before jumping down and seeing the cloaked pair
So not following the classic pattern but nevertheless, very real to him. It's difficult to correlate people's previous behaviour with the content of their NDE but when you say dark side I suppose we have no business in revealing anything further on a public forum so lets leave that if we can. I presume it wasn't a train to hell though ;)

Tim
Ray has replied and he hasn't got a transcript of his NDE, but I found an email of his and asked if he'd mind if I forwarded it to you, he was ok with that. I had forgotten about it. If you want to give me your email by PM.

So not following the classic pattern but nevertheless, very real to him. It's difficult to correlate people's previous behaviour with the content of their NDE but when you say dark side I suppose we have no business in revealing anything further on a public forum so lets leave that if we can. I presume it wasn't a train to hell though ;)
Tim, Steve, I think most NDE's from India have that theme of some dude with the book, naming the experiencer, than claming it's been an error and he shouldn't be there. There are also spirits who come to guide the dead into afterlife. This guy's NDE sounds a lot like Indian ones,