An Interesting conversation

Earlier today, I got into a conversation with three people I know fairly well. Initially we started talking about religion, and we all agreed that we were not members of any faith.

We would have moved on to another topic, but I cautiously introduced the subject of NDE's as evidence that reality was not purely materialistic. It turned out that one had a pretty classical NDE when he was very seriously ill. He also said he felt he now experienced some ESP - possibly subsequent to his NDE. Another had an NDE, but he didn't go into much detail beyond saying he was looking down on himself, and the third had a very interesting OBE as a child of about 10. He said he was in a shop with his grandma and it was crowded, noisy and stuffy. Suddenly he found himself in a peaceful state, looking down on the scene. He said that this experience seemed to last a lot longer than the few seconds that presumably elapsed before his grandma shouted at him, asking him if he was OK - and he 'came round'. Interestingly, he didn't collapse during the incident - though his grandma obviously became concerned! I was the only one with nothing to contribute!

There is nothing very unusual here by SKEPTIKO standards, but the fact that three ordinary men had separately had these experiences, brought home to me just how common these really are! I got the feeling that all three were a bit reluctant to broach the subject initially, and clearly a lot of such experiences end up not being recorded.

David

Earlier today, I got into a conversation with three people I know fairly well. Initially we started talking about religion, and we all agreed that we were not members of any faith.

We would have moved on to another topic, but I cautiously introduced the subject of NDE's as evidence that reality was not purely materialistic. It turned out that one had a pretty classical NDE when he was very seriously ill. He also said he felt he now experienced some ESP - possibly subsequent to his NDE. Another had an NDE, but he didn't go into much detail beyond saying he was looking down on himself, and the third had a very interesting OBE as a child of about 10. He said he was in a shop with his grandma and it was crowded, noisy and stuffy. Suddenly he found himself in a peaceful state, looking down on the scene. He said that this experience seemed to last a lot longer than the few seconds that presumably elapsed before his grandma shouted at him, asking him if he was OK - and he 'came round'. Interestingly, he didn't collapse during the incident - though his grandma obviously became concerned! I was the only one with nothing to contribute!

There is nothing very unusual here by SKEPTIKO standards, but the fact that three ordinary men had separately had these experiences, brought home to me just how common these really are! I got the feeling that all three were a bit reluctant to broach the subject initially, and clearly a lot of such experiences end up not being recorded.

David

Fascinating, David. You don't say, but as a matter of interest, what was the opinion of the three on materialism?

Fascinating, David. You don't say, but as a matter of interest, what was the opinion of the three on materialism?
Well I think before my intervention, all three more or less said, when you are dead that is the end (implicitly because mind=brain).

Afterwards, they all seemed to think that the universe is a bit stranger than that! I didn't try to dump my thoughts on them - partly because I do keep my interest in these topics rather to myself in real life.

David

Back