Anybody tried a psychomantium (mirror gazing)?

So far nothing.

Sat in the bathroom with the candle, holding a hand mirror at an angle.

Is there a good way to do this? I tried looking it up on the net but most of the articles are about Moody's mirror rooms.

So far nothing.

Sat in the bathroom with the candle, holding a hand mirror at an angle.

Is there a good way to do this? I tried looking it up on the net but most of the articles are about Moody's mirror rooms.

I think you need a long mirror... shop type one that can be angled and is free standing. I doubt it's very good to hold it, as I'd think you would be concentrating on the mirror and holding it, rather than relaxing into a comfortable chair, and ignoring the mirror itself and concentrating on looking deeply into it, and accepting you are looking into a real space behind the plane in which the mirror lies, any movement of the mirror would defeat that. I think if you hold it, you would be accepting that it is a 'mirror', and be unable to let go into and accept a real space behind the mirror? At least that's the way I theorise it might work...

Thanks Max - was hoping to do this without buying a mirror.

Will try to get one at Target, or see if I can borrow one.

Thanks Max - was hoping to do this without buying a mirror.

Will try to get one at Target, or see if I can borrow one.

Well I wouldn't go to any trouble... if things just appeared in mirrors, we would be seeing them all the time. I was just interested in anybody on here had an experience... and frankly, I was amazed by MasterWu's response... Perhaps he can outline the setup he used?

Well I wouldn't go to any trouble... if things just appeared in mirrors, we would be seeing them all the time. I was just interested in anybody on here had an experience... and frankly, I was amazed by MasterWu's response... Perhaps he can outline the setup he used?

Oh I'm admittedly curious to see if it works.

Oh I'm admittedly curious to see if it works.

There are some descriptions that the walls of the room are 'shrouded' in the same hangings, (black in this case), so that you can't distinguish the mirror from the foreground.

Here's one experience (link at the bottom)... Lol...

Participant C
Employment: Firearms Instructor
Religion: None
Believes in Spirit Contact: Maybe
Believes they will have a positive experience: Y
Wants to contact a deceased relative or friend: N

Session #1

Participant C was skeptical about mirror-gazing and suggested it was probably used historically to scare enemies into believing their army had certain mystical powers. He explained that was probably the case with the Ancient Greeks. He did not wish to contact any specific deceased relatives or friends and was simply open to the idea of trying the Psychomanteum and seeing what, if anything, would come forward to him. The session was broken up several times as the large pillar candle used for lighting was blown out. There was no breeze or draft that would have caused the candle to blow out and the participant said they had no intention of disrupting the process and wished to continue. Eventually, the candle was replaced by a stationary flashlight angled up towards the mirror. The Participant said it took a long time before they were in a comfortable state of mind and “let their imagination flow”. Suddenly, and without warning the Participant walked out of the Psychomanteum and said they were done. At that time the Participant said, “Its just too freaky.” Later in a follow up conversation to ask he would like to participant in a second session, they suggested that they saw what appeared to be a dark brown cloaked figure would seemed to have “come out of the mirror toward me”. The participant said they felt fear and wanted the vision to end, but it did not. Instead the figure appeared to be standing closer to the participant and then “what felt like behind and in front.” The Participant says they are unsure if there was two figures or just one. He tried to remain calm and see the face for details, but said he could not see the face. He felt as if the figures were not to be trusted, and decided to stand up and exit the Psychomanteum ending his session. He decided not to try another session and indicated he now has a “fear of mirrors”.

http://psican.org/alpha/index.php?/...earch-Experiments/Psychomanteum-Research.html

I never got much traction with this.

Anyone else want to give it go?

Don't have much time to post - quite annoying as there's so many excellent threads I have questions for...maybe later.

But couldn't resist this one!

I first tried the mirror gazing technique some 23 or so years ago as a young teenager. I got the method from Osho's (he of multiple Rolls Royce fame :) "Orange Book" or some such, a small book of hundreds of meditation methods. In it I believe he describes the mirror gazing technique perhaps as a means to recall "past lives" or some such (going from memory, haven't read that book for decades now!). I think the main thing was to focus without blinking?

Anyway, I personally clearly saw my face morph into that of a lion....very clearly.

Several years later, I tried the same method but under the influence of LSD.....again my face changed into that of a lion very clearly, but this time can be excused as I was clearly under the influence of very strong psychedelics!! :)

The only connection I have with lions is that I am a member of the Sikh religion by birth, and male sikhs are called "Singh" which means lion. Perhaps that is why I saw lions, who knows!

Also, I told my experience from the first (non-drug induced) experience to a very close friend.....he immediately tried the method whilst I was still there. After a few minutes he freaked out a bit then stopped staring into the mirror. He said a saw a pole or staff with 2 snakes wrapped around it, one red one black (if I recall correctly). He had no idea what that was, and at the time neither did I. His experience I found more interesting than my own (for a start, I know with 100% certainty he saw what he said he saw.....we are still very close friends 20+ years later, and he still occasionally recalls the experience, and I know he wouldn't lie or exaggerate!).....the reason I found his experience fascinating is because years later I found out the obvious symbolic significance of a snake or 2 snakes wrapped around a pole or staff as in the staff of caduceus or typical indian symbology surrounding "kundalini"....seeing as I would have a kundalini "awakening" myself some 10 years after my friend's experience....

Finally, I believe there is a very informative, detailed & well respected "mirror skrying" method, in full, available online somewhere dating back to when the internet had just started by a well known western occultist...I believe it is Poke Runyon or some such...I highly recommend searching and reading that if anyone is truly interested in giving this method a go!

Cheers.

Back