Archie E. Roy's "The Eager Dead"

C

Chris

Has anyone read Archie E. Roy's book about the cross-correspondences, "The Eager Dead" (2008)?

If so, would they recommend it?

Has anyone read Archie E. Roy's book about the cross-correspondences, "The Eager Dead" (2008)?

If so, would they recommend it?
Yes I have read it. I'd say it's a well-researched book and packed with a lot of historical information. There are also a great many references to the key individuals who played leading roles in the development of parapsychological research. Some of the insights into the individuals and their character is interesting.

Overall I would describe it worth reading but not as an introduction to the subject. For those who understand the signficance of Cross Correspondence and know some of the history already it adds detail. For those who don't, I would say it is a slow read in many places and toward the end contains a lot of correspondence which I found dull and difficult to determine the reason for inclusion.

C

Chris

Thanks very much for your thoughts. I have recently read the older studies by Saltmarsh and Salter, so I wasn't looking for a first introduction to the subject. But having managed to find Roy's book in a library (it's extremely expensive to buy second-hand) I am a bit discouraged by its length, its style and the large number of lengthy documents printed verbatim (not just mediums' scripts, but personal correspondence - as you mention). Unfortunately I'm doubtful whether I have the stamina to read it.

Thanks very much for your thoughts. I have recently read the older studies by Saltmarsh and Salter, so I wasn't looking for a first introduction to the subject. But having managed to find Roy's book in a library (it's extremely expensive to buy second-hand) I am a bit discouraged by its length, its style and the large number of lengthy documents printed verbatim (not just mediums' scripts, but personal correspondence - as you mention). Unfortunately I'm doubtful whether I have the stamina to read it.
Hi Chris
You're welcome :). If you've an interest in the Cross Correspondences it's worth a look. You could always skip the bits that are heavy going but if you do I'm not sure how much it will add as it sounds like you've already done some reading on the subject.