(Article) Trying to simulate the human brain is a waste of energy

Bucky

https://aeon.co/opinions/why-trying-to-simulate-the-human-brain-is-a-waste-of-energy

These simulations look like a waste of money, but the real danger is that they quietly embed unspoken assumptions about the brain and draw talent and resources away from the original thinking and research that we really need. Instead of trying to simulate the human brain we should be using it.
Besides the hyperbole and grandiose claims about solving the mystery of consciousness, I think there's still value in trying to learn new stuff from these simulations.

As for those who dream to backup their consciousness and plug it into a synthetic body when their time comes... enough with the sci-fi bs... :eek::D

I thought that article was the usual "no fun allowed" drivel, personally.

https://aeon.co/opinions/why-trying-to-simulate-the-human-brain-is-a-waste-of-energy

These simulations look like a waste of money, but the real danger is that they quietly embed unspoken assumptions about the brain and draw talent and resources away from the original thinking and research that we really need. Instead of trying to simulate the human brain we should be using it.
Besides the hyperbole and grandiose claims about solving the mystery of consciousness, I think there's still value in trying to learn new stuff from these simulations.

If nothing else, they're good at red-teaming for neurology.

I suspect a bit more interaction between both disciplines would be greatly beneficial for the both of them. My brief experience with neurology papers suggests they tend to be keen on declaring victory before all the facts are in--claiming one is simply a pack of neurons before the effects and necessities of glial tissue was even acknowledged, for instance. Put together the comp-sci side of the house can build from the principals and models of neurologists to determine if that model is even viable. Which they need, because it's not like they're allowed to crack open brains and poke around very often.

As for those who dream to backup their consciousness and plug it into a synthetic body when their time comes... enough with the sci-fi bs... :eek::D

Through a backup? Heavens no. Transference, perhaps. The Ship of Theseus still requires parts of the old ship to be around throughout the process, afterall.

I like this article
It’s as though we decided to build a Tardis immediately, on the basis of the knowledge we have about it now – call it the ‘Blue Box’ project. We know it’s blue, squarish, probably uses electricity for some purposes, makes a whooshy noise, travels in time and is bigger on the inside; let’s get started!

The only difference I would have with the author, is that I would like to persuade him that the brain probably doesn't do the main job anyway - i.e. it does not create consciousness.

I have seen another very critical article about this project in Scientific American (I can't find the link right now). It is an EU flagship project, which probably says it all!

In a way it reminds me of the days of the AI revolution when everyone started getting grants to create AI, and yet nobody had any idea how the damn thing would work!

David

Back