As a species, are we special, or not?

In this thread, Someone made the curious point that we are "nothing special" as a species. A viewpoint which I've seen before (usually from yes diehard materialists), and one which has utterly astonished me anytime I have seen it. [And deeply puzzled me too, in the same way that seeing "Take Our Country Back!" on someone's bumper does. From who, again?]

If I deeply consider the breadth of what we have created as a species, it utterly amazes me. Not only in terms of science and technology, but also in terms of arts, music, philosophy, culture, etc. etc. And if we bring in how refined our consciousness & awareness has become, well, that counts, too. Yes, we've also caused a lot of suffering and destruction as well, but for good or bad that has to be included also.

To say then that we are "nothing special" would fly in the face of a span of accomplishments which is utterly staggering. I thus have no undestanding of why someone would make such a statement, or the (ostensibly hidden) point they are trying to make by saying something like that. Seems like there are lot of unstated (or perhaps even unconscious) assumptions upon which said statement is apparently based (as appears to be the case with my bumper sticker example)...

[The "Rare Earth" hypothesis, although I alluded to it in said thread, is rather beside the point. Whether there is another technological civilization 100 ly away, or 100 million, wouldn't really diminish all of our accomplishments-they in the end stand on their own. Perhaps our most incredible accomplishment is to be nothing more than the luckiest species within X ly. But Rare Earth is a topic for another thread...]

In this thread, Someone made the curious point that we are "nothing special" as a species. A viewpoint which I've seen before (usually from yes diehard materialists), and one which has utterly astonished me anytime I have seen it. [And deeply puzzled me too, in the same way that seeing "Take Our Country Back!" on someone's bumper does. From who, again?]

If I deeply consider the breadth of what we have created as a species, it utterly amazes me. Not only in terms of science and technology, but also in terms of arts, music, philosophy, culture, etc. etc. And if we bring in how refined our consciousness & awareness has become, well, that counts, too. Yes, we've also caused a lot of suffering and destruction as well, but for good or bad that has to be included also.

To say then that we are "nothing special" would fly in the face of a span of accomplishments which is utterly staggering. I thus have no undestanding of why someone would make such a statement, or the (ostensibly hidden) point they are trying to make by saying something like that. Seems like there are lot of unstated (or perhaps even unconscious) assumptions upon which said statement is apparently based (as appears to be the case with my bumper sticker example)...

[The "Rare Earth" hypothesis, although I alluded to it in said thread, is rather beside the point. Whether there is another technological civilization 100 ly away, or 100 million, wouldn't really diminish all of our accomplishments-they in the end stand on their own. Perhaps our most incredible accomplishment is to be nothing more than the luckiest species within X ly. But Rare Earth is a topic for another thread...]

I think that is ridiculous. The fact that we are seen as not special, not your post. Those diehard materialists have a real tangible self-loathing for everything it seems...the neo-Atheist crowd mostly gives me that vibe.

If I deeply consider the breadth of what we have created as a species, it utterly amazes me. Not only in terms of science and technology, but also in terms of arts, music, philosophy, culture, etc. etc. And if we bring in how refined our consciousness & awareness has become, well, that counts, too.
Everything you mention is arbitrary. So if this thread is firmly about sharing opinions then cool. But if you're attempting to make a case for your opinion there's nothing in your post. "how refined our consciousness & awareness has become" Really? And just how refined is that? And what does the "has become" point to?

My opinion is that in this now, humankind (though a worthwhile and wondrous expression of consciousness) has a status-quo accepted level that's of a relatively backward species. Humankind does have a tremendous amount of potential and many are becoming aware of more of it

The case I'd make is that there's not enough info to do any solid evaluation of what/where humanity is as a species.

If we take "special" to mean "unique" then I share that opinion and would make a case for it.

Last edited:
We know so little of our universe and the future that I have trouble concluding we are nature's "last word".

Edit: ... let alone "special".

Considering that the universe is somewhat 14 billion years old, and the Earth is around 4 billion years old, the argument that we are "the first one on the field" is, I think, pretty absurd. The human race is around 200,000 years old, and modern man's development to where we are today - with what we know, and what we can do - dwarfs to what an intelligent species, somewhere else in the universe might have developed to, if they only had a mere 100 000 years "head-start". Imagine an intelligent species who have one billion years "head-start"?

I so want my rabbit to show me love. Turns out she is mostly interested in following her instincts.

If we tell a person he is acting like an animal, it's usually because we see the person acting on his instincts.

Instincts is really another way of describing the determinism of the "biological robot". IMO, one important thing that sets us apart, is that we are more than that; we go against our instincts, and create new paths and ways of life.

Every species is special.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orphan_gene
Orphan genes are genes without homologues in genomes of other organisms. Estimates of the percentage of genes which are orphans varies enormously between species and between studies; 10-30% is a commonly cited figure

http://ncu9nc.blogspot.com/2015/03/video-privileged-species-how-cosmos-is.html
A Privileged Species
  • The human brain has powers including mathematical reasoning that far surpass the abilities of other animals.
  • The physical design of the human larynx enables us to utilize a much broader range of sounds than any other mammal, facilitating sophisticated verbal communication of complex ideas.
  • The human hand is better adapted than any other known appendage for the intelligent manipulation of the physical environment.
  • The human body and mind seem to be optimized in a variety of ways to make us the only animal who can harness the use of fire, which opened the doors to technology.
http://www.livescience.com/15689-evolution-human-special-species.html
Top 10 Things that Make Humans Special
  1. Speech
  2. Upright Posture
  3. Nakedness
  4. Hands
  5. Extraordinary Brains - Without a doubt, the human trait that sets us apart the most from the animal kingdom is our extraordinary brain. Humans don't have the largest brains in the world — those belong to sperm whales. We don't even have the largest brains relative to body size — many birds have brains that make up more than 8 percent of their body weight, compared to only 2.5 percent for humans. Yet the human brain, weighing only about 3 pounds when fully grown, give us the ability to reason and think on our feet beyond the capabilities of the rest of the animal kingdom, and provided the works of Mozart, Einstein and many other geniuses.
  6. Clothing
  7. Fire
  8. Blushing
  9. Long Childhoods
  10. Life after Children

http://ncu9nc.blogspot.com/p/62014-contents-evidence-for-afterlife.html#articles_by_subject_ufo
Astronauts Say UFOs are Real
http://ncu9nc.blogspot.com/2013/04/astronauts-say-ufos-are-real.html

High Ranking Government and Military Officials Say UFOs are Extraterrestrial Craft Visiting the Earth
http://ncu9nc.blogspot.com/2013/09/high-ranking-government-and-military.html

Unidentified Flying Objects Briefing Document The Best Available Evidence by Don Berliner with Marie Galbraith Antonio Huneeus, Presented by CUFONS, FUFOR, MUFON December 1995
http://www.openminds.tv/wp-content/uploads/Rockefeller-Briefing-Document.pdf

Video: "Debunking the UFO Debunkers" in which Stanton Friedman explains why you cannot trust the "skeptics".

UFO Witness Testimony
http://ncu9nc.blogspot.com/2014/02/ufo-witness-testimony-from-csetiweb.html

UFO Experiencers Speak
http://ncu9nc.blogspot.com/2014/03/video-highlights-of-ufo-experiencers.html

Exopolitics Lectures from the 2010 X-Conference
http://ncu9nc.blogspot.com/2014/03/exopolitics-lectures-from-2010-x.html

http://www.macroevolution.net/hybri...//www.macroevolution.net/human-origins-2.html

A list of traits distinguishing humans from other primates (and shared with pigs)
DERMAL FEATURES
Naked skin (sparse pelage)
Panniculus adiposus (layer of subcutaneous fat)
Panniculus carnosus only in face and neck
In "hairy skin" region:
- Thick epidermis
- Crisscrossing congenital lines on epidermis
- Patterned epidermal-dermal junction
Large content of elastic fiber in skin
Thermoregulatory sweating
Richly vascularized dermis
Normal host for the human flea (Pulex irritans)
Dermal melanocytes absent
Melanocytes present in matrix of hair follicle
Epidermal lipids contain triglycerides and free fatty acids

FACIAL FEATURES
Lightly pigmented eyes common
Protruding, cartilaginous mucous nose
Narrow eye opening
Short, thick upper lip
Philtrum/cleft lip
Glabrous mucous membrane bordering lips
Eyebrows
Heavy eyelashes
Earlobes

FEATURES RELATING TO BIPEDALITY
Short, dorsal spines on first six cervical vertebrae
Seventh cervical vertebrae:
- long dorsal spine
- transverse foramens
Fewer floating and more non-floating ribs
More lumbar vertebrae
Fewer sacral vertebrae
More coccygeal vertebrae (long "tail bone")
Centralized spine
Short pelvis relative to body length
Sides of pelvis turn forward
Sharp lumbo-sacral promontory
Massive gluteal muscles
Curved sacrum with short dorsal spines
Hind limbs longer than forelimbs
Femur:
- Condyles equal in size
- Knock-kneed
- Elliptical condyles
- Deep intercondylar notch at lower end of femur
- Deep patellar groove with high lateral lip
- Crescent-shaped lateral meniscus with two tibial insertions
Short malleolus medialis
Talus suited strictly for extension and flexion of the foot
Long calcaneus relative to foot (metatarsal) length
Short digits (relative to chimpanzee)
Terminal phalanges blunt (ungual tuberosities)
Narrow pelvic outlet

ORGANS
Diverticulum at cardiac end of stomach
Valves of Kerkring present in small intestines
Mesenteric arterial arcades
Multipyramidal kidneys
Heart auricles level
Tricuspid valve of heart
Laryngeal sacs absent
Vocal ligaments
Prostate encircles urethra
Bulbo-urethral glands present
Os penis (baculum) absent.
Hymen
Absence of periodic sexual swellings in female
Ischial callosities absent
Nipples low on chest
Bicornuate uterus (occasionally present in humans)
Labia majora

CRANIAL FEATURES
Brain lobes: frontal and temporal prominent
Thermoregulatory venous plexuses
Well-developed system of emissary veins
Enlarged nasal bones
Divergent eyes (interior of orbit visible from side)
Styloid process
Large occipital condyles
Primitive premolar
Large, blunt-cusped (bunodont) molars
Thick tooth enamel
Helical chewing

BEHAVIORAL/PHYSIOLOGICAL
Nocturnal activity
Particular about place of defecation
Good swimmer, no fear of water
Extended male copulation time
Female orgasm
Short menstrual cycle
Snuggling
Tears
Alcoholism
Terrestrialism (Non-arboreal)
Able to exploit a wide range of environments and foods

RARE OR ABSENT IN NONHUMAN PRIMATES:
Heart attack
Atherosclerosis
Cancer (melanoma)​

Last edited:
When materialists try to explain why humans are not special they contradict themselves...

http://www.scilogs.com/guest_blog/insights-of-evolutionary-psychology-humans-are-not-special/
Insights Of Evolutionary Psychology: Humans Are Not Special
We are obviously somewhat strange and different to most other animals in traits such as communication, habitat alteration and the care and education of our young, but in each case we are merely an extreme along a given spectrum.
Homo sapiens are not a special case of animal, but they do exhibit traits that are rarely found in the rest of the natural world.
we may be unique in choosing to down-regulate reproduction, care for our elderly and question the very fabric of the universe.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/allergicpagan/2014/10/09/we-are-not-special/
We Are (Not) Special: Anthropocentrism and the Evolving Universe
From my perspective, one of the problems with the “Not Special” model of evolution is that it fails to account for the way in which human are special, i.e., our self-consciousness as an emergent property of a complex evolutionary system. And perhaps even more importantly, it fails to offer a compelling motivation for humans to identify with anything other than our own species. In the “Special” model of evolution, human beings might at least think of themselves as “stewards” of the earth. But if there is really nothing distinguishing us from bacteria, as in the “Not Special” model, then why should we care about other species except to the extent that we need them in order to survive?

What's not to understand? My point is very simple-we are an AMAZING species, likely one of a kind. Do you disagree with that, the first part at least? If so, why? In the face of all that we are, all that we have accomplished?

I already stated that I agree we are amazing or special. Humans are self-absorbed narcissists, after all. That wasn't the question, though. The question was about our relationship to a universe in which we are an almost invisible blip amongst untold billions of almost invisible blips in net entropy. Does any one of those blips make a difference to the universe, one way or the other. And if so, what makes you think it's us?

Linda

What are we talking about here? Do you mean special in the way we are different from other species? Who is going to argue with how we are different? Unique? Who will argue that we are not unique in so many ways? Have we accomplished amazing things that other species may not? Yes. Can we not do things other creatures can do? Yes. Do you honestly believe materialists don't agree with this? Or do you mean something else entirely.

For example, do you mean we are special because we are endowed with a gift from God? Do you mean that we are entitled to something more than other life for some reason? Or by special do you mean that the cosmos designed for us?

Well said.That reminds me of a book that was written by a materialist scientist : "Are we unique : A scientist explores the unparalleled intelligence of the human mind." By James Trefil :

Grosso -modo: He says that we are unique indeed , despite the fact that many of our human faculties that we though were unique to us were/are not in fact .

We are unique thus , but not that unique , since we share many things with other non-human animals or species , in the sense that we are just evolved animals : there are allegedly human and non-human animals.

But that's just a materialistic point of view.

The Cambridge declaration on consciousness follows the same line of thinking or paradigm .

I tried to post links to the above , but i see i cannot do that yet , since this is just my first post ...

It's a kind of circular thinking or confirmation bias , in the sense that since we are just animals who were /are subject to evolution through the natural selection like the rest of the animal kingdom was/ is , then , it follows from that that there is nothing special about us and that we were /are just "privileged " by evolution or just Lucky to have evolved through stages that were/are not available to other species .

But , if one would abandon the materialist point of view or world view on the subject , one would get a wholly different picture regarding what it means to be human or what the nature of man might be , what man's place in the universe might be ....

Well said.That reminds me of a book that was written by a materialist scientist : "Are we unique : A scientist explores the unparalleled intelligence of the human mind." By James Trefil :

Grosso -modo: He says that we are unique indeed , despite the fact that many of our human faculties that we though were unique to us were/are not in fact .

We are unique thus , but not that unique , since we share many things with other non-human animals or species , in the sense that we are just evolved animals : there are allegedly human and non-human animals.

But that's just a materialistic point of view.

The Cambridge declaration on consciousness follows the same line of thinking or paradigm .

I tried to post links to the above , but i see i cannot do that yet , since this is just my first post ...

It's a kind of circular thinking or confirmation bias , in the sense that since we are just animals who were /are subject to evolution through the natural selection like the rest of the animal kingdom was/ is , then , it follows from that that there is nothing special about us and that we were /are just "privileged " by evolution or just Lucky to have evolved through stages that were/are not available to other species .

But , if one would abandon the materialist point of view or world view on the subject , one would get a wholly different picture regarding what it means to be human or what the nature of man might be , what man's place in the universe might be ....

What if we flip it. Is every species that is not human not special? Is every other species somehow less deserving or less important than humans? This perspective is actually quite alarming to me. I'm a bit surprised to see it so strongly stated here. Unless I'm missing something. Are we talking about God?

What if we flip it. Is every species that is not human not special? Is every other species somehow less deserving or less important than humans? This perspective is actually quite alarming to me. I'm a bit surprised to see it so strongly stated here. Unless I'm missing something. Are we talking about God?

Let's put it this way then : To say that man is unique or special does not mean that non-human species do have no intrinsic value .
Human life has also more value than those of non-human species , i think.
In my humble opinion, non-human species are indeed less unique and less special than man , but that does not exclude the fact that they have their own levels or degrees of specialness and uniqueness .

I can compare that to the degrees of consciousness, for example , at the level of humans and non-human species :
They are all conscious , but they have their own degrees or levels of consciousness : that of man is the highest , but then again , even humans individuals do have their own degrees or levels of consciousness too .

I was not implying anything about God though , i was just rejecting the materialist world view ,which is just 1 among many by the way .
The problem is : the materialist world view has been ,so erroneously, taken for granted as the scientific world view .
Thanks.

Let's put it this way then : To say that man is unique or special does not mean that non-human species do have no intrinsic value .
Human life has also more value than those of non-human species , i think.
Well I'd say good luck trying to convince any other species of that!

In my humble opinion, non-human species are indeed less unique and less special than man , but that does not exclude the fact that they have their own levels or degrees of specialness and uniqueness .
I disagree with this with every fiber of my being. Degrees of difference, of course. But the word "special" here again implies some kind of gift or something. If you're not talking merely about degrees of difference between species, what is it that you mean by special?

I can compare that to the degrees of consciousness, for example , at the level of humans and non-human species :
They are all conscious , but they have their own degrees or levels of consciousness : that of man is the highest
How could you possibly know this?

I was not implying anything about God though , i was just rejecting the materialist world view

What is the materialist view? It might be helpful if you could elaborate in your own words what you think it is.

I can tell you what the materialist view is not: We are all meat robots in a meaningless universe with no morality. At least that's what Alex thinks materialists are all about. This kind of bloated parody of the materialist perspective is an intellectual cul-de-sac.

What are we talking about here? Do you mean special in the way we are different from other species? Who is going to argue with how we are different? Unique? Who will argue that we are not unique in so many ways? Have we accomplished amazing things that other species may not? Yes. Can we not do things other creatures can do? Yes. Do you honestly believe materialists don't agree with this? Or do you mean something else entirely.

For example, do you mean we are special because we are endowed with a gift from God? Do you mean that we are entitled to something more than other life for some reason? Or by special do you mean that the cosmos designed for us?

Not necessarily yes to the latter questions. I was mainly wondering on what grounds it can be argued that we are not.

Not necessarily yes to the latter questions. I was mainly wondering on what grounds it can be argued that we are not.

I suppose that comes down largely to definition. The word "special" is loaded. I would agree that human beings are not special if it means we are gifted with something transcendent of other living things, as if granted by God; we are endowed with something that puts us in a higher or more important place in the cosmos than other living beings. But if it means different, unique, something that we can fully appreciate and admire with a sense of awe, then sure! We're special! But is anyone really arguing that materialists don't agree with this? Why is it so difficult to understand how someone can simultaneously hold a reverential respect for humanity while still maintaining that we are not somehow better or more deserving than other life?

="bishop, post: 64353, member: 64"]Well I'd say good luck trying to convince any other species of that!

Why Should I ? They wouldn't understand ayway. lol

And of course human life has more value than those of other species : A self-evident fact.

I disagree with this with every fiber of my being. Degrees of difference, of course. But the word "special" here again implies some kind of gift or something. If you're not talking merely about degrees of difference between species, what is it that you mean by special?

I thought i was clear enough : special , in the sense that man has something special other spiecies do not have : the unparalleled intelligence of the human mind,for example.

Why are we disussing these obvious issues is beyond me.

How could you possibly know this?

Isn't that obvious ?

What is the materialist view? It might be helpful if you could elaborate in your own words what you think it is

Does that need any elaboration?

Matter is all there is: The universe ,including ourselves thus,is allegedly made of 1 "substance" : "Matter" (materialist monism),so everything,including the human mind , can be explained by just material processes,physical causes...and hence man is just sort of hardware run by software, like the rest of the other non-human living spiecies are= there is nothing special about man, simply put.

I can tell you what the materialist view is not: We are all meat robots in a meaningless universe with no morality. At least that's what Alex thinks materialists are all about. This kind of bloated parody of the materialist perspective is an intellectual cul-de-sac.

See above.
Then, Alex should know about the so-called evolutionary ethics which has been THE root of most evil on earth, not to mention all that materialist non-sense at the level of the so-called evolutionary biology/psychology....

P.S.: I would appreciate it very much, if you would use a more pleasant tone.Thanks.Cheers

Why Should I ? They wouldn't understand ayway. lol

And of course human life has more value than those of other species : A self-evident fact.
Do you mean objectively, as in human beings are intrinsically more valuable in the cosmos? Or do you mean that we as human beings value our own species more than others? There's a big difference, and I'm not sure exactly what you're saying.

I thought i was clear enough : special , in the sense that man has something special other spiecies do not have : the unparalleled intelligence of the human mind,for example. Why are we disussing these obvious issues is beyond me.
We're discussing these other issues because I don't believe people are being forthcoming about the word "special". If all you mean by "special" is that we can do things other animals cannot, then there is no disagreement.

Isn't that obvious ?
You stated that man has the highest level consciousness. I don't think that's obvious at all. I'm not sure how you know this.

Matter is all there is: The universe ,including ourselves thus,is allegedly made of 1 "substance" : "Matter" (materialist monism),so everything,including the human mind , can be explained by just material processes,physical causes...and hence man is just sort of hardware run by software, like the rest of the other non-human living spiecies are= there is nothing special about man, simply put.
This is what I'm talking about. What is the other thing (besides matter), and how exactly does it relate to how we're special? To me this is the most interesting part of this discussion, and I would very much appreciate a specific elaboration.

Then, Alex should know about the so-called evolutionary ethics which has been THE root of most evil on earth
No. That's like saying gravity is evil because people have dropped things on other people's heads. But I don't think we should get into a discussion on evolution.

P.S.: I would appreciate it very much, if you would use a more pleasant tone.Thanks.Cheers
Just imagine that everything I'm saying is with a smile. :)

="bishop, post: 64380, member: 64"]Do you mean objectively, as in human beings are intrinsically more valuable in the cosmos? Or do you mean that we as human beings value our own species more than others? There's a big difference, and I'm not sure exactly what you're saying.

Objectively ? Is there really such a thing? I don't think so,but tha's anothe subject.
Anyway,we're talking here only about man's specialness and uniqueness on earth,that is.
I was clear in saying that man is above and more valuable than all other species , on earth,that is, despite the materialist evolutionary non-sense on the subject.

We're discussing these other issues because I don't believe people are being forthcoming about the word "special". If all you mean by "special" is that we can do things other animals cannot, then there is no disagreement.

Man is special , in the sense that man is unparalleled and above all other species .

You stated that man has the highest level consciousness. I don't think that's obvious at all. I'm not sure how you know this.

Well, if that was not the case, you would have seen other species having a hisory, building civilizations, producing and enjoying music, literature and other art , building systems of thought, practicing science....and a lot more...

This is what I'm talking about. What is the other thing (besides matter), and how exactly does it relate to how we're special? To me this is the most interesting part of this discussion, and I would very much appreciate a specific elaboration.

A non-physical non-local separate human mind and consciousness the nature , function and level of which are the ones that have been enabling us to do , think, feel, imagine,create ,say .....what other species cannot : that's mainly what makes us human , not our physical part , biology or DNA....

No. That's like saying gravity is evil because people have dropped things on other people's heads. But I don't think we should get into a discussion on evolution.

Evolutionary ethics has been shaping the modern world through Darwinism that led to Nietzsche's ethics , to utilitarianism, contratarianism and other liberal ethics , .....not to mention to nazism and other fascism,Marxism, communism ....

Just imagine that everything I'm saying is with a smile. :)

Ok, deal.Thank.Cheers.

Back