At Home OBE experiment?

First off let me say I'm glad I have found this forum and this is my first thread..I have found myself really being interested in NDE & OBE experiences lately, and I've seen accounts of being able to induce these OBE at home when falling asleep. My question is why doesn't someone who has honed this technique have maybe a family member or significant other place an object or random numbers on a sheet of paper in the room after the experiencer falls asleep and then see if you can recall and correctly reveal the number?

It is exceedingly rare for an OBE generated by a "technique" to be able to produce that kind of verifiable information. Even the people who write the books only rarely produce verifiable information. I suspect the techniques produce lucid dreams. (I don't have an opinion on whether or not lucid dreams are a spiritual phenomena.) Most OBEs that do produce verifiable information are either spontaneous or done by talented psychics.

http://ncu9nc.blogspot.com/2012/10/out-of-body-experiences-real-and-fake.html

There has been OBE research with talented psychics that has produced evidence some type of paranormal phenomenon. These included Ingo Swann, Keith Harayry and Alexander Tanous.

I read some of the results from Ingo Swann and to me it seemed that he was clairvoyant and not necessarily having an OBE - but he called it an OBE so I can't really contradict his statements. The research I am familiar with involving Keith Harary studied whether he could influence an animal at a remote location. I'm not sure how Alexander Tanous was tested.

Some of the military remote viewers felt they were bi-located, they felt that they were present at the remote location as well as the testing facility.

But I think a big problem for this type of research is distinguishing between clairvoyance and OBEs. The distinction is important because a real OBE is clear evidence for the afterlife. While clairvoyance is also evidence for the afterlife, the argument is more complicated.

If anyone else knows more about studies of OBEs that produced good results I hope they will post here.

Sorry I don't have more info.

Last edited:
It is exceedingly rare for an OBE generated by a "technique" to be able to produce that kind of verifiable information. Even the people who write the books only rarely produce verifiable information. I suspect the techniques produce lucid dreams. (I don't have an opinion on whether or not lucid dreams are a spiritual phenomena.) Most OBEs that do produce verifiable information are either spontaneous or done by talented psychics.

http://ncu9nc.blogspot.com/2012/10/out-of-body-experiences-real-and-fake.html

There has been research with talented psychics that has produced evidence some type of paranormal phenomenon. These included Ingo Swann, Keith Harayry and Alexander Tanous.

I read some of the results from Ingo Swann and to me it seemed that he was clairvoyant and not necessarily having an OBE - but he called it an OBE so I can't really contradict his statements. The research I am familiar with involving Keith Harary studied whether he could influence an animal at a remote location. I'm not sure how Alexander Tanous was tested.

Some of the military remote viewers felt they were bi-located, they felt that they were present at the remote location as well as the testing facility.

But I think a big problem for this type of research is distinguishing between clairvoyance and OBEs. The distinction is important because a real OBE is clear evidence for the afterlife. While clairvoyance is also evidence for the afterlife, the argument is more complicated.

If anyone else knows more about studies of OBEs that produced good results I hope they will post here.

Sorry I don't have more info.
Thank you so much for the response! This is something I've been struggling with lately, and I thought to myself if I could do the "Rope Technique" and then have my girlfriend place numbers on a sheet of paper in the room after I was asleep then this would be clear evidence for a soul/afterlife.
But alas as you alluded to; if it were that easy we would already have all of the evidence we could possibly need or hope for.

Thank you so much for the response! This is something I've been struggling with lately, and I thought to myself if I could do the "Rope Technique" and then have my girlfriend place numbers on a sheet of paper in the room after I was asleep then this would be clear evidence for a soul/afterlife.
But alas as you alluded to; if it were that easy we would already have all of the evidence we could possibly need or hope for.
If you want to try something, I could recommend a different technique, one that can produce clairvoyance.

Also, numbers are not a good target. A picture from a magazine or the internet, that you have never seen and know nothing about, would be better. If you know anything about the target, such as "it's a number" your mind is likely to fill in a guess, or a memory, or an association and that will likely drown out any faint psychic perception. The military remote viewers called this "analytic overlay".

Here is the technique I recommend, it is written for spirit communication but I have used it for remote viewing (clairvoyance) of images on a computer screen.
http://sites.google.com/site/chs4o8pt/natural_mediumship

If you can work with your girlfriend that could help produce better results. (I could make suggestions on how she could select good targets but you should not know what the suggestions are.) If you have an affinity with her she might be able to "send" the target to you by looking at it herself and thinking of if. A human connection often produces a stronger effect than just one person alone.

The book "Mental Radio" by Upton Sinclair is about this type of experiment.
http://scottywalsh.com/wp-content/u...Sinclair-and-Addendum-by-Dr.-W.-F.-Prince.pdf

The easiest way to have a psychic experience is to keep a dream log which is likely to show many precognitive dreams.
http://ncu9nc.blogspot.com/2012/04/keeping-dream-log-as-means-of-having.html
The book mentioned at the above link, "An Experiment with Time", is here:
https://ia800805.us.archive.org/17/items/AnExperimentWithTime/Dunne-AnExperimentWithTime.pdf

If you are interested, I have described my experiences with other type of spiritual practices ... some that worked some that didn't:
http://ncu9nc.blogspot.com/2013/03/spiritual-practices-and-their.html

The first time I went to a medium I asked her if I should take classes in psychic devleopment. She said that psychic development should be part of spiritual development. I have found a meditation technique that I highly recommend for spiritual development:
https://sites.google.com/site/chs4o8pt/meditation-1#meditation_serenity

Last edited:
I've had the same questions as the OP. From what i've gathered, it seems that just because you go OBE doesn't necessarily mean you are at your original physical location - called the Real Time Zone. Jurgen Ziewe has some interesting accounts of this in his books. Many times, one or more details are off. Seems you have to be quite experienced to actually "stick around here". At least thats what they'll tell you as to why these experiments don't work.

Check this out, even James Randi had an OBE:

First off let me say I'm glad I have found this forum and this is my first thread..I have found myself really being interested in NDE & OBE experiences lately, and I've seen accounts of being able to induce these OBE at home when falling asleep. My question is why doesn't someone who has honed this technique have maybe a family member or significant other place an object or random numbers on a sheet of paper in the room after the experiencer falls asleep and then see if you can recall and correctly reveal the number?
If you correctly recalled the target, you wouldn't be able to say for sure whether you had an OBE, or gained the information by some other means, the information may even have been gained directly from those who placed the target into position (telepathic). You've really got to make the target, hidden, secret and realtime.

But you could run up something yourself pretty easily, which would deal with most of that. But I have to say, I think you would probably be wasting your time. I suspect the target information needs to be available (seen by somebody), and not secret.

Better perhaps to go to sleep, then whilst your asleep, let your partner stare at a random target (which is secret and hidden from you), whilst feeling strongly at the same time (loving, fear etc.). Even better, try to do it using a similar process to the Sony ESPR method. Get your partner to write the target, scrunch it up, and place it in your ear. Something about the act of making the target, and the act of giving the target to you seems to improve the odds.

I wouldn't dismiss the techniques. I have managed to induce vibrational state by using William Buhlman's lucid dream technique. Unfortunately I was too afraid to leave my body, but it was still a very powerful experience and it proved to me that the vibrational state is real and it is not merely some biological reaction when body goes asleep. I have had about 120 lucid dreams, and I'm still trying to develop some details of the technique so that I can convert the dream into OBE.

About 10 years ago I put a playing card on a table (with eyes closed so I couldn't see it). Then I tried some OBE technique (I don't remember what technique it was). Suddenly I realized that I was out of my body and near the table. I looked at the card and then I woke up. After awakening I checked the card but it was a wrong card. This experience was clearly lucid dream. Since then I have had one spontaneous OBE, which proved to me that OBEs are definitely not lucid dreams.

I agree with Jim that OBEs are rare and it is difficult to induce them. Nevertheless, I'd recommend trying some techniques.

I don't know if Randi account is reliable. I read a history that he once said he had a NDE and the "bright light" was just the hospital lights.
Also, even if Randi encountered something paranormal, I doubt that he will go public and say that. He likes to be a god among skeptics, even respected scientists bow down to him because of his apparent "supreme rationality". So if he says "well, once I had this weird experience that I cannot explain" he will lose a lot of credibility among his fans.

Please put future replies about Randi in another thread, because from past experience we know threads tend to get derailed horribly once Randi comes up. We have (had?) a kind of unwritten? rule to put Randi in his own thread.

UPDATE: I've created a thread for discussion of Randi:
http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/threads/universal-randi-thread.3718/

Thanks

Update ... this is the universal Randi thread from the old site:
http://forum.mind-energy.net/forum/...st/5041-the-randi-mdc-bin?p=204288#post204288
All Randi posts go here by default

Due to numerous requests, this catch-all Randi/MDC thread has been created. All Randi related posts will be sent here upon request. All new Randi threads will be merged with this one unless there is a specific reason not to, such as a new podcast on the subject.

AP

Last edited:

Brian_the_bard

Lost Pilgrim
http://www.robertpeterson.org/amazon-interview.html

"Peterson: Well, as I stated in the book, I tried for a while to obtain concrete proof that my OBEs were objective and not just hallucinations.

Unfortunately, most of my efforts to establish "proof" were done in my first few years of having OBEs, so I wasn't too coordinated or adept at it. Consequently, I didn't get as much proof as I wanted. I did have a few experiences that were convincing enough to me, but they wouldn't hold any water with the scientific community. Eventually, I decided that I no longer needed to prove anything to myself--I'd been doing it long enough to be convinced they were real.

I also decided that I could never convince the skeptics, because they are too closed-minded and can always come up with reasons to invalidate a test. Likewise, I knew that scientists wouldn't be satisfied unless my experiments were predefined tests done under laboratory conditions. So far, I haven't found anyone doing serious scientific study under those conditions, but I'd gladly be the first person in line to try to reproduce the OBE under laboratory conditions if anyone asks me to."