AWARE Update - Peer Review Complete

EthanT

Juts came across this on the Human Consciousness Project page on Facebook (which linked to HRF). Sounds like it won't be much longer ;-)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Horizon-Research-Foundation/90278377281?fref=nf

Thanks, Ethan,

Goodness me it's taken a long time, I wonder why. Parnia has said that he's been able to demonstrate something along the lines of consciousness continues in the first period after death....but he confuses me by then adding that it's like a switch. it just switches off and then comes back on again
so it's not annihilated. However to me, that enables the materialists to say that the brain is just re-booting, doesn't it.

I hope it's not all going to be a big anti-climax, I did actually think that the research would be thrown out of peer review as being too controversial.

...it just switches off and then comes back on again so it's not annihilated. However to me, that enables the materialists to say that the brain is just re-booting, doesn't it.

Oh, Tim, it will definitely enable the materialists to say that, but they were saying stuff prior to this without this evidence lol But maybe this is proof that will end up being for the materialist explanation. Maybe people were expecting these to be game changing results in favor of non-local consciousness, or something along those lines, but perhaps the results didn't turn out as expected and it will weigh in for the opposite side.

Oh, Tim, it will definitely enable the materialists to say that, but they were saying stuff prior to this without this evidence lol But maybe this is proof that will end up being for the materialist explanation. Maybe people were expecting these to be game changing results in favor of non-local consciousness, or something along those lines, but perhaps the results didn't turn out as expected and it will weigh in for the opposite side.

Perhaps, lets wait and see, I guess.

But you haven't seen the results yet :)

I'm not arguing that consciousness per se is produced by the brain. But as I sympathise with NM. Like Sam Harris. I think the contents of consciousness are perhaps a brain thing. That said, throw psi and the GCP in and you have a mother of problems.

I think it's going to be underwhelming, no matter what happens. It sounds like there's an indication of cortical activity a little bit longer than medics supposed. Other than this, without any psi-tight information, it's frankly difficult to see what the study can really show about the question of survival of consciousness.

I read an article recently with Judy Bachrach here, http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...eath-experiences-bachrach-neurology-booktalk/

I just been reading Judy Bachrach's book. It's quite good and there is some new information on the Pam Reynolds case. It's absolutely clear that the surgeon/s don't have an explanation for it.

Is her book a re-hash of a lot of topics we've discussed the forum? Like Pam Reynolds, but with some new information? I've been buying up books like crazy and can always add another one to the never-ending pile.

I think it's going to be underwhelming, no matter what happens. It sounds like there's an indication of cortical activity a little bit longer than medics supposed. Other than this, without any psi-tight information, it's frankly difficult to see what the study can really show about the question of survival of consciousness.

By survival do you mean ones personality? Because I'm a little confused over the definition.

it's frankly difficult to see what the study can really show about the question of survival of consciousness.[/quote]

Really, so if a patient in 3 -5 minuets of cardiac arrest can accurately describe what is going on in the room around his comatose body, that doesn't tell us anything ?

Well, of course, survival of personality and survival of consciousness aren't necessarily the same thing. But I'm finding it hard to wrap my mind around how this study could provide evidence for either...except by proxy, if targets were sighted (i.e. evidence for psi), which I doubt they have been

I read an article recently with Judy Bachrach here, http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...eath-experiences-bachrach-neurology-booktalk/

Is her book a re-hash of a lot of topics we've discussed the forum? Like Pam Reynolds, but with some new information? I've been buying up books like crazy and can always add another one to the never-ending pile.

It's mostly information that is already out there but it's a reasonable book even so. Don't buy it yet anyway, it's not come down in price.

Really, so if a patient in 3 -5 minuets of cardiac arrest can accurately describe what is going on in the room around his comatose body, that doesn't tell us anything ?

I understand the frustration Tim. I'm not sure that tells us anything much about survival, no, unless targets are sighted, and that would be an interesting case for psi, but even there only a prima facie case for survival, as psi doesn't necessarily mean survival. But, I will be surprised indeed if any targets have been sighted.

I think Psi being performed by a comatose body would make me lean in favor of the survival hypothesis.

It's not air tight, but if Psi is stronger and more focused when the brain is down...

Thanks, Ethan,

Goodness me it's taken a long time, I wonder why. Parnia has said that he's been able to demonstrate something along the lines of consciousness continues in the first period after death....but he confuses me by then adding that it's like a switch. it just switches off and then comes back on again
so it's not annihilated. However to me, that enables the materialists to say that the brain is just re-booting, doesn't it.

I hope it's not all going to be a big anti-climax, I did actually think that the research would be thrown out of peer review as being too controversial.

I'm not expecting too much myself, just for the simple reason that it seems like there wasn't enough time between his book and the paper submission for it to be likely that something major happened

Well, they've certainly been able to demonstrate something, it's just that nobody seems to know what that is:) This juicy veridical OBE they have will be attacked by the "evil gang of seven" like a pig in a piranha lake.
"will be"? Or already has been?

Back