Benham's Top...

Isn't consciousness a sort of perception? after all, consciousness is just the perception of being aware.
The dictionary definition of perception is --> awareness of something through the senses

I have read lots of definitions of consciousness, many of which are interesting, none of them feels satisfactory or complete.

The dictionary definition of perception is --> awareness of something through the senses

I have read lots of definitions of consciousness, many of which are interesting, none of them feels satisfactory or complete.
Perhaps that's because it isn't really a single "thing"?

I wouldn't take a dictionary definition on theories of mind in much value. I would rather read the definition of some philosopher or from Plato Stanford philosophy encyclopedia. Anyway, I agree with you that there isn't so far a satisfactory definition of consciousness. I tend to think that it may be one those kind of things that can't be described very well in words.

I wouldn't take a dictionary definition on theories of mind in much value. I would rather read the definition of some philosopher or from Plato Stanford philosophy encyclopedia. Anyway, I agree with you that there isn't so far a satisfactory definition of consciousness. I tend to think that it may be one those kind of things that can't be described very well in words.

It is not important which definition is used in any given discussion. What is important, however, is that the participants make sure they are using the SAME definition in the discussion!

Back