Benham's Top...

A sort of olive green is all I get. Interestingly though, in one direction that olive color extends outwards from the center. In the other direction, it extends inwards from the outer circumference.

I got brown, green, pale blue and navy blue outwards from the centre, Reversing the disc reversed the colour order for me too.

Same as Kai... but I need to run it at 500 rpms to see an light green/yellow color in the first three inner circles. If I slow it down I can still see the black lines mixed with some greenish color. Cool effect.

Same as Kai... but I need to run it at 500 rpms to see an light green/yellow color in the first three inner circles. If I slow it down I can still see the black lines mixed with some greenish color. Cool effect.

Because it doesn't work as well on a monitor, I built a Benham Top today... (slow at work before Xmas...) ...printing a template off I found online, cutting it out and sticking it to a CD, putting a bolt through the center of the cd, and sticking it into my Hilti drill. Works really well... deep red, deep blue and an olive colour were seen by me and the staff (who think I'm nutty).

"Qualia" without perception?
Eat my shorts.
Music without a musical instrument? Are you saying music is a musical instrument? :)

ETA: as already discussed, by your standards any machine with one or more sensors mounted on is already conscious. Cool! Or is it... ?

Last edited:
Music without a musical instrument? Are you saying music is a musical instrument? :)

ETA: as already discussed, by your standards any machine with one or more sensors mounted on is already conscious. Cool! Or is it... ?
How would one "experience" musical "qualia" without an eighth cranial nerve? Your need to distance "perception" from "qualia" is starting to look bizarrely dogmatic...

Actually music is always a "musical instrument in action" if by such action we mean the ability to produce or discriminate between sound intervals. Can you give an example of when this would NOT be true? I doubt it.

How would one "experience" musical "qualia" without an eighth cranial nerve? Your need to distance "perception" from "qualia" is starting to look bizarrely dogmatic...
Please explain how the microcurrent travelling in the vestibulocochlear nerve produces the internal subjective component of sense perception :)
While you are at it also demonstrate how a webcam connected to your computer produces the same.

Last edited:
Actually music is always a "musical instrument in action" if by such action we mean the ability to produce or discriminate between sound intervals. Can you give an example of when this would NOT be true? I doubt it.
No, you're misrepresenting my argument.

It was an example to point out that perception and qualia cannot be the exact same thing, just like music is not the equivalent of a musical instrument.

Music is scribbles on a piece of paper, the vibrating wood/brass etc... of a musical instruments, sound waves propagating in space, the oscillations of an eardrum, the nerve impulses travelling to a brain, the conscious experience of hearing music, the subjective quality of such experience... And even all that, sometimes, is not music at all, but just cacophony :D

No, you're misrepresenting my argument.

It was an example to point out that perception and qualia cannot be the exact same thing, just like music is not the equivalent of a musical instrument.

Music is scribbles on a piece of paper, the vibrating wood/brass etc... of a musical instruments, sound waves propagating in space, the oscillations of an eardrum, the nerve impulses travelling to a brain, the conscious experience of hearing music, the subjective quality of such experience... And even all that, sometimes, is not music at all, but just cacophony :D

Ah, but music is *not* scribbles on a piece of paper. The scribbles are *signifiers* for music, in the same way that letters on a page are signifiers for human meanings. On the other hand, your brain functions as a musical instrument when you internally rehearse the intervals.

Consciousness is just woo that's all it is. At least that's the Skeptic's "flat earth society" view of it.

Last edited:
Back