Big idea: You will transform your own biology

Theories of evolution and genetics have long taught that genetic mutation is entirely random. However, genetics has been gradually stepping into a new era of “self-directed biological transformation.”

This means that control is being given back to each person; we are no longer seen as puppets of our DNA. The human genome is set to be the stage for future evolution that we ourselves direct, making choice an integral part of genetics.

The speed and extent of change at the genetic level would astonish researchers even a few years ago. Yoga and meditation, for example, can trigger almost immediate responses in genetic activity.

As emphasized in their recent book, Super Brain, they believe there is also a better approach to understanding the brain. Your neural networks are being reshaped with every thought, feeling word, and act. This process is intimately tied to genetic activity. Today you will casually perform some very mysterious actions: As an aware being you will imbue your desires with intention ("I'll have the tuna salad"), direct your attention to specific objects and aspects of the world ("Just look at that sunset!"), and experience the shifting landscape of your inner world ("This movie is boring") as you navigate the terrain of your mind.

However, no research has been able to define the scientific basis of these actions. There is no explanation for how the firing of action potentials in trillions of synapses made by billions of nerve cells actually produces an experience. This is a perfect example of how the map isn't the territory. The wiring of your brain is ever-changing, depending on your thoughts, feelings, beliefs, and habits. Many millions of dollars are being spent on the connectome, a complete mapping of the brain. But this will not explain how genes and neural circuits work together to bring us consciousness. Brain and genome maps must be aligned with the fullness of human experience, since what you think, say, and do today shapes your genetic future. Nothing less than the equivalent of a “consciousomeproject” will suffice to serve this loftiest of scientific endeavours.

This article discusses one big idea which will shape 2014.

Your thoughts?

http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/...idea-2014-you-will-transform-your-own-biology

Last edited:
Great article, thanks.

One of the thing I noticed missing in the article is that the environment is not just what we think and how we interact with the world but also the actual state of the physical environment itself. Air, water, food etc...

Where I live there has been some quality research on how toxicity from the environment is affecting the epigenome at super fast rates. It doesn't require thousands of years to cause health disasters as we may have though just 1-2 decades ago. Heavy metals, toxins, processed food and pollution at large are causing major damage to the genetic expression, increasing the amount of degenerative/chronic illnesses, neurological disorders etc... We're headed to a 50% chance of getting cancer in our lifetime.

Healthy life style and healthy thinking certainly constitute tools for maintaining good health. It's a great message, the one Chopra is delivering, but we need to put our "Super Brains" to the massive pollution issue as well, before it's too late. I don't think meditation and yoga alone will be enough.

Cheers

Great article, thanks.

One of the thing I noticed missing in the article is that the environment is not just what we think and how we interact with the world but also the actual state of the physical environment itself. Air, water, food etc...

Where I live there has been some quality research on how toxicity from the environment is affecting the epigenome at super fast rates. It doesn't require thousands of years to cause health disasters as we may have though just 1-2 decades ago. Heavy metals, toxins, processed food and pollution at large are causing major damage to the genetic expression, increasing the amount of degenerative/chronic illnesses, neurological disorders etc... We're headed to a 50% chance of getting cancer in our lifetime.

Healthy life style and healthy thinking certainly constitute tools for maintaining good health. It's a great message, the one Chopra is delivering, but we need to put our "Super Brains" to the massive pollution issue as well, before it's too late. I don't think meditation and yoga alone will be enough.

Cheers
Agree. Declining male fertility is another example.

Not "missing." You hold the perspective that your reality consists of an actual independent singular physical construct that you inhabit. However others -including myself- hold the perspective that's all part of the "illusion." By illusion I don't mean that -in any moment - there aren't defined physical manifestations there. I mean that they are multiple, abstractions, variable and - most importantly - expressions of.

Not "missing." You hold the perspective that your reality consists of an actual independent singular physical construct that you inhabit. However others -including myself- hold the perspective that's all part of the "illusion." By illusion I don't mean that -in any moment - there aren't defined physical manifestations there. I mean that they are multiple, abstractions, variable and - most importantly - expressions of.
We come into the discussion with different ideas about ontogeny but we still need a common language framework for discussion. Whether there is an actual physical world where we are connected in ways we don't understand or a world 'in mind' where we are connected, is less important than the fact that we are connected (in my view). Whether you view our response to pollutants a physical impact on our DNA or an experience in mind, is in my view less important than the manifestation. If we have an understanding that a materialist world view is inaccurate and that consciousness has a scope we haven't mapped yet then where we are on the philosophical continuum matters less.

You hold the perspective that your reality consists of an actual independent singular physical construct that you inhabit.
I don't seem to be able to find where I wrote that :)
If you don't think that the progressive degeneration of our physical environment has any influence on the state of our health we can discuss that, although it's a bit of a lost cause.

By illusion I don't mean that -in any moment - there aren't defined physical manifestations there. I mean that they are multiple, abstractions, variable and - most importantly - expressions of.
Good, then I guess we agree more than what you hastily assumed.

cheers

We come into the discussion with different ideas about ontogeny but we still need a common language framework for discussion. Whether there is an actual physical world where we are connected in ways we don't understand or a world 'in mind' where we are connected, is less important than the fact that we are connected (in my view). Whether you view our response to pollutants a physical impact on our DNA or an experience in mind, is in my view less important than the manifestation. If we have an understanding that a materialist world view is inaccurate and that consciousness has a scope we haven't mapped yet then where we are on the philosophical continuum matters less.
I don't get your point. Well other than you sharing your views. The things is that your views and my views diverge. The things you consider "not as important" are what I see as key points.

I don't seem to be able to find where I wrote that :)
If you don't think that the progressive degeneration of our physical environment has any influence on the state of our health we can discuss that, although it's a bit of a lost cause.
You don't see where you wrote that and yet you follow up by writing it again? "Think" has nothing to do with what I'm expressing. Like i said . .you believe that there is an actual independent singular physical construct that you inhabit. Things like "our physical environment" and concepts like "progressive" only have any meaning within that perspective. And given that you see any other perspective as a "lost cause" it's clear that you hold strongly to that perspective. I'm stating that said perspective is not what is actually going on. Any and everything physical (including the perception of linear time) is an abstract expression of primary consciousness.

You don't see where you wrote that and yet you follow up by writing it again? "Think" has nothing to do with what I'm expressing. Like i said . .you believe that there is an actual independent singular physical construct that you inhabit. Things like "our physical environment" and concepts like "progressive" only have any meaning within that perspective. And given that you see any other perspective as a "lost cause" it's clear that you hold strongly to that perspective. I'm stating that said perspective is not what is actually going on. Any and everything physical (including the perception of linear time) is an abstract expression of primary consciousness.
I don't have problems with what you are saying, besides the fact that you make it sound massively simplistic. From the formless realms of pure consciousness to where we are and operate there are "a couple" of extra layers of "Maya" that make things impressively more complex, organized and subject to specific laws.

It's all good and dandy that we're "an abstract expression of primary consciousness" but from where we operate we still need to work within the limits of our "plane of existence". Right? If you still want to inhabit your mortal body you'll have to prepare dinner and eat it or you'll soon join the higher spheres :)

For the same reason we should respect our physical environment, because physical health is inextricably linked to it. As well as all the other equally important things that people like Chopra indicates in his book. It goes without saying that the poisoning of the planet comes from "spiritual choices" such as giving higher priorities to exploiting resources, looking for quick profits and making short sighted choices with horrible consequences.

Back to my original point I was just emphasizing that our epigenome is affected by both our spiritual and physical choices. That those are the same thing when you zoom back up to the "10th dimension" is kind of irrelevant for us down here :)

Last edited:
I think it would be helpful if you focused on describing your own viewpoint rather than other people's. The repeated 'You' statements sound a little combative.

:eek:Since my post wasn't to you . . . what you think about it is irrelevant.
Not really. If you want to have a private conversation, there are facilities for doing that. But a forum thread is open for discussion, and telling another member their opinion is irrelevant is frankly disrespectful.

I don't have problems with what you are saying, besides the fact that you make it sound massively simplistic. From the formless realms of pure consciousness to where we are and operate there are "a couple" of extra layers of "Maya" that make things impressively more complex, organized and subject to specific laws.

It's all good and dandy that we're "an abstract expression of primary consciousness" but from where we operate we still need to work within the limits of our "plane of existence". Right? If you still want to inhabit your mortal body you'll have to prepare dinner and eat it or you'll soon join the higher spheres :)

For the same reason we should respect our physical environment, because physical health is inextricably linked to it. As well as all the other equally important things that people like Chopra indicates in his book. It goes without saying that the poisoning of the planet comes from "spiritual choices" such as giving higher priorities to exploiting resources, looking for quick profits and making short sighted choices with horrible consequences.

Back to my original point I was just emphasizing that our epigenome is affected by both our spiritual and physical choices. That those are the same thing when you zoom back up to the "10th dimension" is kind of irrelevant for us down here :)
- It can be fairly simple - though it can be difficult to engage.
- There are very few specific "laws" if by law you mean things that cannot be altered.

Beyond that you keep repeating the same things. And . so do I. I keep telling you that you hold one perspective so tightly that you see it as "the way it is" It isn't. Sure you can look at the appearances and keep thinking that's where the action is. That's the defacto MO for most people. And if you think that the primary action is irrelevant while the manifestations of that action are relevant . .then hey . carry on. BTW There is no "up there" or "down here", no physical as opposed to spiritual.

Not really. If you want to have a private conversation, there are facilities for doing that. But a forum thread is open for discussion, and telling another member their opinion is irrelevant is frankly disrespectful.
Telling someone their opinion about the content of a post or the subject matter is irrelevant would be one thing. I'd agree with you on that.

Telling someone that their styling of words in my post as "combative" when I'm not in discourse with then is irrelevant is perfectly legit. That type of styling is a common plot device to turn the focus from what is being discussed and try to make things into a personal battle.

- It can be fairly simple - though it can be difficult to engage.
- There are very few specific "laws" if by law you mean things that cannot be altered.

Beyond that you keep repeating the same things. And . so do I. I keep telling you that you hold one perspective so tightly that you see it as "the way it is" It isn't. Sure you can look at the appearances and keep thinking that's where the action is. That's the defacto MO for most people. And if you think that the primary action is irrelevant while the manifestations of that action are relevant . .then hey . carry on. BTW There is no "up there" or "down here", no physical as opposed to spiritual.
Right, so how does that helps, for example, people whose immune system has been shut down by extensive exposure to nuclear radiation? Such as in Japan or Russia? Congenital malformations, tumors, premature deaths, genetic damager, the whole lot...

Thanks

p.s. = It would help the conversation a lot if you could loose the presumptuous tone. It's not a competition, just a discussion.

It looks like DNA has more surprises for us...

Scientists discover double meaning in genetic code

http://www.washington.edu/news/2013/12/12/scientists-discover-double-meaning-in-genetic-code/

“For over 40 years we have assumed that DNA changes affecting the genetic code solely impact how proteins are made,” said Stamatoyannopoulos. “Now we know that this basic assumption about reading the human genome missed half of the picture. These new findings highlight that DNA is an incredibly powerful information storage device, which nature has fully exploited in unexpected ways.”
cheers

Another source which may be useful is the book you recommended Bucky - Cell Level Healing: The Bridge from Soul to Cell by Joyce Whiteley Hawkes, PhD. My copy has arrived but I haven't started reading it yet.

After a shattering near-death experience, Joyce Whiteley Hawkes left her career as a biophysicist and embarked on an intensive exploration of indigenous healing practices. Living and working with priests and shamans in the Philippines, South India, and Bali. she explored the previously uncharted territories that divide biology from spirituality - discovering that emotional,mental and spiritual feelings can have a powerful effect on our bodies at the cellular level.

http://www.celllevelhealing.com/book.html

and here she is:

and more:

After a near-death experience, scientist Dr. Joyce Whiteley Hawkes changed her life dramatically. "I started meditating, started working with a healer, [and] all of the sudden I experienced this amazing feeling of energy moving through my body and to other people," she says.

Dr. Whiteley Hawkes talks with Dr. Oz about changing her career path from purely scientific research to researching the healing power of meditation and alternative therapies on the body's cells. "There are days when I feel like I am walking a line stretched out in front of me and my right foot is in the material world and the world of science and my left foot is in the world of spirit," she says. "So, I try to walk close to the middle line to dance between the two…both work and both are important to human life."

Read more: http://www.oprah.com/oprahradio/Cell-Level-Healing#ixzz2onlknGTQ