Book Recommendation

RHC

New
I just read a great book that I wanted to pass along. Actually Chris Carter mentioned it to Alex in their first interview, which is how I first heard about it.

"Extraordinary Knowing: Science, Skepticism and the Inexplicable Powers of the Human Mind" - Elizabeth Lloyd Mayer Ph.D.

Its the story of a prominent academic California psychoanalyst who has the proverbial "What the F_! experience everyone here is familiar with, and rather than retreating into denial, dives into topics near and dear to our hearts in a big way.

What sets the book apart is the high level of analysis she brings to the topic and the uniqueness of her perspective. Also and most refreshingly, she remains a true, (as opposed to dogma defender) skeptic.".
If most so called skeptics had her attitude, the world would be a better place.

I found her interactions with other researchers and thoughts on theoretical models fascinating. Plus she supplies plenty of great anecdotes provided to her by colleagues and other medical professionals that sought her out after talks and published papers (boy haven't heard that anywhere else before :) ), so there is something for everyone in this book.

Unfortunately for us, Ms. Mayer died right as her book was published. If you read it I think you will agree that her death was a truly major loss for the good guys. Though I am confident she has moved on to better things, I really felt bad about her death, finding out in her slipcase bio just as I finished the book.

Bob

Back