BOOKS you'd recommend?

Steve

I'm sorry if there's a similar thread somewhere else - I looked ?

Books you've maybe just finished reading, or in your all time favourites ? Here's a couple I read recently :-

' From Science to God - A physicist's Journey into the Mystery of Consciousness '
Peter Russell

' Wisdon of Near Death Experiences - How Understanding NDE's can help us live more fully '
Dr Penny Sartori

' Glimpses of Eternity - An Investigation into Shared Death Experiences '
Dr Raymond Moody

' Quantum Enigma '
Bruce Rosenblum & Fred Kuttner

The tome that is 'Irreducible Mind' is very good, heavy on the academic stuff, which is to be expected, but good nonetheless.
Ian Stevenson's books are very good from what I'm told
Dean Radin's books (although I shudder at his association with Chopra)

These have all had an impact on me over the last 7 years or so...

Apparitions

by Celia Green

The Departed Among The Living

by Erlendur Haraldsson

The Black Hole War

by Leonard Susskind

The Truth in the Light

by Peter Fenwick

The Art of Dying

by Peter & Elizabeth Fenwick

Return from Tomorrow

by George Ritchie

The Lady in the Van
by Alan Bennett

"Is There An Afterlife?" - David Fontana
"Voices in the Dark" - Leslie Flint
"Healing Hands" - J Bernard Hutton
"Psychic Adventures in New York" - Nevill Whymant
"On The Edge Of The etheric" - Arthur Findlay
"Mediumship And Survival" - Alan Gauld

any of Chris Carter's books;

Now reading Ian Stevenson's Cases of the Reincarnation Type, Vol. I: Ten Cases in India. (1975). Some good ones in there, but I've heard it say there are even better ones in the next tome, Sri Lanka. Strictly from a reading perspective, though, the manner of presentation can get a little repetitive, but the scientific process requires it I guess.

Going back to Stevenson, I've taken a short break from my recently started UFO journey, focusing on the nults and bolts perspective. Keith Chester's Strange Company (2007) is a pretty good book on the foo fighter phenomena during WWII, including a lot of lesser known solid craft sightings, not just luminous light phenomena. Before that, I REALLY enjoyed the classic The UFO Evidence (1964), by Richard Hall/NICAP (National Investigations Committee on Aerial Phenomena). If you want tons and tons of data on the best of sightings from the mid-1940s to the early 60s, selecting the very best cases from the very best witnesses, and engaging in really fun (but serious stuff) like pattern analysis, the various UFO waves that occurred, in North America and around the world. Strictly empirical, but awesome if you're into data, or if your favorite bedtime reading is reading the phone book - just kidding. This is one of the books that people like Stanton Friedman consistently bring out that Skeptics don't bother to read. All that stuff documented in Leslie Kean's book (strong cases by strong witnesses), it was already there, and in spades.

You can read it online if you look around, but I found it easier reading through a used 1997 reprint of the original (which had been sent to all members of Congress). For many years until '97. this stuff was on the black market, and hard to get:
http://www.amazon.com/UFO-Evidence-Richard-Hall/dp/0760706271/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1396246268&sr=1-1&keywords=The UFO Evidence

I fully agree with this Amazon reviewer:
Some folks are carping about this book because it is not a narrative account of the UFO phenomenon per se, but rather a catalog of sightings compiled by NICAP spanning the early years of the phenomenon - 1947 thru 1962. Now, there are some short narrative accounts and clippings of news articles and the like in reference to the summary catalog accounts, but for the most part it is this catalog of what the folks at NICAP and the editor Richard Hall deemed to be some of the more interesting and better substantiated reports that came into their offices during those years - a lot of it from the Blue Book archives. I really like having it in this format because as you read through the different reports and categories - just the sheer volume of high quality reports - you start to get the sense of just how big a deal all this really was in the early days. There really was a flying saucer craze sweeping the nation and for good reason. Even the government was deep into it back in the day. Today you might hear something interesting once every six months, but back in the 40's, 50's & 60's this was clearly a phenomenon that was making waves on a daily, weekly and monthly basis. People were aware of UFO's - and judging by many of the reports and who they were made by it is clear why that was the case. It also became clear - from the Air Force and government's point of view why they had to get themselves out of the business of investigating and reporting UFO's - because it is hard to debunk a phenomenon if hundreds of your best pilots, officers and scientists (military and civilian) are filing reports of high strangeness on a weekly basis. I found it to be a very compelling body of evidence and a window into the world from when this phenomenon exploded into the public's consciousness.

My all time favorites:

Reincarnation and Biology: a Contribution to the Etiology of Birthmarks and Birth Defects Volume 1: Birthmarks by Ian Stevenson

Reincarnation and Biology: a Contribution to the Etiology of Birthmarks and Birth Defects Volume 2: Birth Defects by Ian Stevenson

Life Before Life: Children's Memories of Previous Lives by Jim B. Tucker

Return to Life: Extraordinary Cases of Children Who Remember Past Lives by Jim B. Tucker

The Departed Among The Living: An Investigative Study of Afterlife Encounters by Erlendur Haraldsson

Randi's Prize: What Sceptics Say About the Paranormal, Why They Are Wrong & Why It Matters by Robert McLuhan

At the Hour of Death: A New Look at Evidence For Life After Death by Erlendur Haraldsson and Karlis Osis

The Art of Dying by Peter Fenwick and Elizabeth Fenwick

Science and the Afterlife Experience: Evidence for the Immortality of Consciousness by Chris Carter

The Secret of the Soul: Using Out-of-Body Experiences to Understand Our True Nature by William Buhlman

This House is Haunted by Guy Lyon Playfair

Glimpses of Eternity by Raymond Moody

Return From Heaven by Carol Bowman

Thinking Fast and Slow, by Daniel Kahneman

Godel, Escher, Bach, by Douglas Hofstadter

The Psychology of the Psychic, by Marks and Kammann

Chaos, by James Gleick

The Drunkard's Walk, by Leonard Moldinow

A Different Universe, by Robert Laughlin

Phantoms in the Brain, by Ramachandran

The Universe and the Teacup, by K. C. Cole

The Hero With a Thousand Faces, by Joseph Campbell