Brad Warner teaches his Zen students ancient wisdom — Don’t be a jerk |311|

Discussion in 'Skeptiko Shows' started by Alex, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Small Dog

Small Dog New

Absolutely. It's only the closest I can come up with.

Edit: I my defence I did not claim this to be the Truth and said this is where I THINK we belong.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  2. Typoz

Typoz Member

Regarding the nature of reincarnation. I don't hold much to what is said in any tradition such as Buddhism or Hinduism. The only test for me is whether it matches my own experience. Here's how I tried to express it in another thread:
    My apologies for spamming this thread with unrelated posts of my own. I guess my real point is that I think we have to trust our own intuition, not blindly follow what anyone else has said, no matter how esteemed they may be.

3. Not to mention that there's the reality of historical injustice like the caste system, of egos of the gurus, of the possible confusion between revelation of truth and subjective "revelation" that corresponds to someone's personal preferences and historical conditioning.

And, AFAIK, Buddha never actually wrote anything down himself? Everything in the teachings is claimed to be his words?

"Jesus was a Rabbi, Siddartha a prince.

Both learned, literate men. Yet they never wrote anything down.

Why?

Because they were spell breakers, not spell binders."
    -A.A. Attanasio

Steve likes this.
  4. Daniel Day

Daniel Day Member

Bruce Goldberg wrote numerous books on the subject of reincarnation. The lesson I learned from those books, don't hold grudges, they last for lifetimes. To me, that was my moment of zen.

As for being a jerk, but sometimes you just gotta be the Assholes.

5. Small Dog

Small Dog New

Can someone explain the logistics of reincarnation to me? If you compare deaths versus births, the former is less than the latter. This is why there is net population growth. This year it has been 26 million, give or take. How does it work? Obviously, there aren't enough souls to be recycled into the newly born bodies, so where do new souls - or whatever entity is supposed to reincarnate - come from.

The population growth number comes from here: http://www.worldometers.info/

6. Typoz

Typoz Member

A common enough question. Once before I attempted a response when it was asked by someone and later it was alluded to as hand-waving. That is to say, it may be that no answer would be acceptable.

So I will give no answer. All I would say for now is that I don't think planet Earth and its human beings are the centre of the universe, not now any more than it was in Ptolemy's time. There's a bigger picture. We have difficulty enough in accounting for physical descriptions of the universe, having to invent both dark matter and dark energy in order to make our equations work. Attempting similar mathematical accounting of how the non-physical universe might work seems a stretch into the ludicrous at this stage, given how little our knowledge of these matters is. There has been research into reincarnation, but it really hasn't reached the stage where we can apply mathematical modelling to it.

Sciborg_S_Patel, tim and Steve like this.
  7. Steve

Steve Member

Who can do that?

I can only say that maybe there are many more souls or spirits or conscious entities existing than we can ever know. A few billion may only be a tiny fraction of those involved, earth being one of many options available as 'growth vehicles'.

8. Daniel Day

Daniel Day Member

Here's a question, why are you assuming that only humans have souls? Also If you want a better answer to your question, I recommend that you give a listen to Whitley Strieber's Dreamland episode for March 23, 2016. It should have the answers you are looking for:
    2 Dreamland Regulars Report a Powerful Experience with Anne Strieber

Read the original source: http://www.unknowncountry.com/dream...werful-experience-anne-strieber#ixzz47B1pS0sk

Please remember you'll need a subscription to listen to this episode.

Sciborg_S_Patel likes this.
  9. Typoz

Typoz Member

Did you mean "some possible answers", as opposed to "the answers"?

Sciborg_S_Patel likes this.
  10. Alex

Alex New

thx. this looks great. have queued up.

11. Alex

Alex New

seems like semantics issue. Zen seems like a pretty structured and purposeful endeavor... looks like truth seeking to me.

hypermagda likes this.
  12. Small Dog

Small Dog New

From Warner's blog:

Is There Life After Death?

The main point that is missed by a lot people is that any point of view is a thought, a very unreliable and almost always one-sided instrument, never mind if you're a proponent of mainstream or a skeptic. Getting past thinking process may be another way to understand reality, consciousness and other intangible and important things.