brain and 11 dimensions

So, all they did was apply mathematics to a computer simulated brain. I'm very skeptical about this...

From a comment on the article: "What the paper actually talks about is being able to map the connections between neurons to the connections between vertices of higher-dimensional shapes like hypercubes. It has absolutely nothing to do with extra spatial dimensions, and it isn't even particularly surprising or interesting."

So, all they did was apply mathematics to a computer simulated brain. I'm very skeptical about this...

From a comment on the article: "What the paper actually talks about is being able to map the connections between neurons to the connections between vertices of higher-dimensional shapes like hypercubes. It has absolutely nothing to do with extra spatial dimensions, and it isn't even particularly surprising or interesting."
And the article in the New York Post (presenting the study) is a pretty much a complete nonsense.

But hey, the author normally reports on martial arts, sport and bunny musuems, so I guess neuroscience is a bit over his head... (pun intended)
http://nypost.com/author/michael-blaustein/

The article had comments from Kathryn Hess. I know her reputation from my previous studies, definition not some random gibberish talker. I was surprised to see her name in there. But she's not a neuroscientist, this is just the usual people going out of their fields and looking like crackpots.

Oof. These articles are not well written.

~~ Paul
Yes, but I suspect a lot of the blame lies with the researchers. I mean, you make a simulation of the brain - which has to be pretty low resolution because there are something of the order of 10^14 synapses in the real thing, and isn't understood at all well - and study it with topology.

I like the phrase "up to 11 dimensions". What a coincidence that 11 is the number of dimensions of space-time according to M theory - but of course that phrase "up to" could mean 3 dimensions!

David

Yes, but I suspect a lot of the blame lies with the researchers. I mean, you make a simulation of the brain - which has to be pretty low resolution because there are something of the order of 10^14 synapses in the real thing, and isn't understood at all well - and study it with topology.

I like the phrase "up to 11 dimensions". What a coincidence that 11 is the number of dimensions of space-time according to M theory - but of course that phrase "up to" could mean 3 dimensions!

David
The article actual specifies between 7 and 11. it does not say why, or what the difference is.

Thanks for the comments. I always get a perspective on these articles from here that I could not have gotten otherwise.