Brain Game show and paranormal

The scientific conspiracy as explanation for lack of interest from neuroscience is cop out IMO. My guess is that NDE's, although they are interesting, are simply very hard to study. The whole motivation for there even being a field of NDE research is search for an afterlife.

That is a good question, makes me wonder why NDE researchers are not more interested in investigating other states of minimal consciousness.

But when has something been uninteresting to scientists because it's hard to study? The brain is hard to study, yet we have neuroscience as an entire field dedicated to researching it. As far as motivation goes, doesn't that vary on each individual in the field? I'd sure like to meet the guy who said, "when I was 5, I decided at that moment that I wanted to be a urologist." XD

You raise a good point about researching minimal conscious states, know anyone who's on that? Their research would be interesting for discussion.

You misunderstand, I said this in the context of our discussion about the NDE being an evolved function.
Full disclosure prompts me to admit that I think it is the most probable explanation in the broader context to, but there is always a possibility for new and better evidence there.

Oh, my bad then. Actually, I think most, if not all, NDE researchers agree it's an evolved function, the question is why and how... and maybe who.

Oh, my bad then. Actually, I think most, if not all, NDE researchers agree it's an evolved function, the question is why and how... and maybe who.
You mean it's a function of the brain? Or are we talking about evolved spirits? I'm not sure you'd get a consensus of NDE researchers to support either of those.

You mean it's a function of the brain? Or are we talking about evolved spirits? I'm not sure you'd get a consensus of NDE researchers to support either of those.

Yes, I walked into that quicksand, didn't I? Oh, see, this is why I can never be a politician. My understanding is that the human body evolved to make it easier for spirits to navigate in the physical world, with the brain as the filter valve for consciousness to reside. So, somehow the brain appears to be involved in the NDE, and appears to be tied into evolution, but you're right, I can't claim that there's a consensus among researchers regarding its role in that, namely because of the Hard Problem.

Anyway, I'm going to bow out now, before my foot gets shoved further into my mouth...

But when has something been uninteresting to scientists because it's hard to study? The brain is hard to study, yet we have neuroscience as an entire field dedicated to researching it. As far as motivation goes, doesn't that vary on each individual in the field? I'd sure like to meet the guy who said, "when I was 5, I decided at that moment that I wanted to be a urologist." XD
It is not so that the subject is not interesting, it is the unpredictable nature of NDE's that makes them very hard to study. We can not induce them in any safe way, so it is very hard to do real prospective work on them. Just look at the aware study, it was a lot of work for very little result. The instruments used to gather physiological data at the time of cardiac arrest are not designed as research instruments, they are optimized to save lives.
You raise a good point about researching minimal conscious states, know anyone who's on that? Their research would be interesting for discussion.
This guy comes to mind, though there must be others, he has done work on NDE also, but he is definitely not on the survivalist Side of the discussion.
I simply can not see how an event that happens in the process of dying has an evolutionary advantage. Remember that most people will have a DE in the same circumstances. I still can only see it as an artifact of the dying process.

I simply can not see how an event that happens in the process of dying has an evolutionary advantage. Remember that most people will have a DE in the same circumstances. I still can only see it as an artifact of the dying process.

Yeah, I mentioned this in some earlier thread on the proposed evolutionary trait of NDE´s;

"If one would go all Dawkins on the matter of NDE, the evolutionary advantages of NDE is totally lacking.
What would be the purpose? Would it be natures way of saying -"Thanks for playing the "game" of life, I leave you with this little treat before light goes out" ?

If the NDE would be a total agony of visual attacks, it might serve a purpose for the body/person to fight to the bitter end, in the struggle to get out and survive at all cost, even if it in many cases was futile.
I know that there is these hellish-NDE´s, but if this were a evolutionary trigger ALL NDE´s would be hellish and agonising to serve the purpose of fighting for survival at all cost.

Does anyone have a suggestion in what way a NDE would have evolutionary advantages?

Back