Buyer Beware: "My Son and the Afterlife"

This is an old thread, but I need to state some things. I am a mother who lost her son earlier this year. Initially because of my grief I was drawn to this "Channeling Erik" blog. In the beginning I bought into it because I was in so much pain and wanted answers. But things started to seem false. Interviews with JFK, Ted Bundy, Bob Hope, and yes even Jesus. The list goes on. Apparently all Erik's mom (Elisa Medhus) has to do is ask Erik and he will bring in everybody. From Mother Earth to Little Grey Aliens. Then there are the times when Erik takes over Jamie Butler's body and she begins to ACT like Erik. It is so ridiculous. All of them are making a lot of money off grieving parents. Now they are trying to get a reality tv show out of it, and of course Elisa Medhus is going to write another book. So many facts wrong in these celebrity interviews. I think now Jamie Butler is charging $650 for a medium session. She also does 7 minute phone sessions, and group sessions, can you see the amount of money she is raking in? So many people now on the facebook blog think they are really powerful mediums too. Everyone is having Erik signs, and pranks, and out of body experiences. Everyone is an expert. And if you question anything, because it seems impossible, Elisa Medhus will freak out. How dare you question her a "grieving mom." So nobody ever does. Elisa Medhus also asks everyone to like her page, her videos, any interviews, votes on blogger awards, etc. I believed at first that she was just a grieving mom, and not at fault. Then one night I woke up like BAMM! And you know what hit me? She is false too. Why? Because I know that as a mom, who knows her son, if someone like Jamie Butler was connected with him, and his words were coming out of her mouth, I would know in an instant if it was my son talking. No doubt. The interviews through Jamie/Erik/Elisa are so weird. Both mom and son have foul language. But it's not even that. It is the way his mom giggles and posts her questions. It is so hard to believe she is even a doctor due to her immaturity. I really feel that this site is taking advantage of grieving people. I feel it to the core. I just hope that someday what I feel will be proven. And I do have beliefs in the afterlife. Just not with these people. The best mediums in the world could not do what Jamie Butler claims. At least none I know about. If you investigate like I did, please post your thoughts.

I also like to add that I find the channeling of celebrities while entertaining are also concerning to me. God's first and foremost law is the "Law Of Freewill". God won't violate our free will nor we will violate his. Only dark forces, dark beings, demons and discarnate souls will steal our light through deception and manipulation of our own free will for our energy because these beings have decided they are greater than god and thus are now separate from God. Good channeling from any medium should be intended for growth of all human beings. And since the Universe is infinitely larger and is always moving and transcending, the channeling messages should also be new and refreshing to allow us to grow. What I found from the site were information that has already been revealed. It may be new to the spiritual newbies, but to a more experienced spiritual seeker who had walked this path long we know what's new and what's re-used. The site had a lot of re-used materials from various sources.

Secondly, Jesus Christ had always said that "My father's house has many mansions", which means that there are other entities with various state of consciousness living in the ether. Some are extremely well versed in what Jesus and all the ascended beings are doing and representing. They are so well versed that they can pretend to be Jesus and all and I know that most of these channelling out there from other websites are fake or being spoon fed by these dark beings for stage appreciation. It seemed to be this place is like that; a rock star of spirits with the naive mediums and channellers acting as the innocent conduit and spreading troubling messages to the masses.

There are hidden messages in some of their channeling materials that promote dualism, despite Erik's repeated call for no separation and being in oneness. A very classic dark forces tactic of being an impostor of higher level beings while being incessantly needy or on the borderline insecure by being a prankster to force the mediums to continue to run this gong show. Albeit at the distress of his mother who is stricken with grief and truly belief that his son is some messiah, a god's messenger. Maybe he is or maybe he is not, but I have never found a medium who are willing to do this for so so long because it takes so much energy just to channel before the medium is drained and need to recoup. If you are truly higher level beings, you will not only be feeling refreshed and energized full of light after channeling because you allow the unconditional will and love of god to flow through to all living beings on earth, but also received profound teachings to improve and accelerate humanity's growth. This is self-less service. This site is fun entertainment as long as you ground yourself and understand the desperate ploy from the dark beings.

Last edited:
This is an old thread, but I need to state some things. I am a mother who lost her son earlier this year. Initially because of my grief I was drawn to this "Channeling Erik" blog. In the beginning I bought into it because I was in so much pain and wanted answers. But things started to seem false. Interviews with JFK, Ted Bundy, Bob Hope, and yes even Jesus. The list goes on. Apparently all Erik's mom (Elisa Medhus) has to do is ask Erik and he will bring in everybody. From Mother Earth to Little Grey Aliens. Then there are the times when Erik takes over Jamie Butler's body and she begins to ACT like Erik. It is so ridiculous. All of them are making a lot of money off grieving parents. Now they are trying to get a reality tv show out of it, and of course Elisa Medhus is going to write another book. So many facts wrong in these celebrity interviews. I think now Jamie Butler is charging $650 for a medium session. She also does 7 minute phone sessions, and group sessions, can you see the amount of money she is raking in? So many people now on the facebook blog think they are really powerful mediums too. Everyone is having Erik signs, and pranks, and out of body experiences. Everyone is an expert. And if you question anything, because it seems impossible, Elisa Medhus will freak out. How dare you question her a "grieving mom." So nobody ever does. Elisa Medhus also asks everyone to like her page, her videos, any interviews, votes on blogger awards, etc. I believed at first that she was just a grieving mom, and not at fault. Then one night I woke up like BAMM! And you know what hit me? She is false too. Why? Because I know that as a mom, who knows her son, if someone like Jamie Butler was connected with him, and his words were coming out of her mouth, I would know in an instant if it was my son talking. No doubt. The interviews through Jamie/Erik/Elisa are so weird. Both mom and son have foul language. But it's not even that. It is the way his mom giggles and posts her questions. It is so hard to believe she is even a doctor due to her immaturity. I really feel that this site is taking advantage of grieving people. I feel it to the core. I just hope that someday what I feel will be proven. And I do have beliefs in the afterlife. Just not with these people. The best mediums in the world could not do what Jamie Butler claims. At least none I know about. If you investigate like I did, please post your thoughts.

I totally agree with what you posted here. It has been my experience also and then some! I have to say, I basically loved the messages from "Erik"
but ended losing trust an contradictory intent of the messengers. Elisa and Jamie have another agenda in mind and it is very self serving. I find them repulsive really.

I came across this website when I was trying to find some answers about the credibility of Jamie Butler. Like some of you, I m baffled as to how so many seemingly intelligent people have been pulled in by this. I am not a skeptic however this woman shows no credibility to me. The mother of Erik asks the most generic questions sometimes that makes me feel even she is not genuine. "Erik' answers some extremely in depth questions, very similar in language to all the other dead celebrities Jamie has called up. And it sticks out like a sore thumb that when these dead celebrities are asked specific questions they do not give direct answers, just more new age babble. Amelia Earhart was able to answer all the mysteries of the afterlife but could not tell us where her plane and body came to crash as she deemed this unimportant. Jack the ripper told Jamie his name, however since that interview with Jack in the afterlife, DNA has proven the identity of the ripper, and you guessed it.... not the same person. Much of what she channels is contradictory to her previous 'interviews' with the dead. Robyn Williams was asked what his favourite film was, and up until this point he wouldn't stop talking.... all of a sudden he disappears. Jamie clearly didn't want to bluff that one as its easily proved by a quick Google search. It kind of makes me sad, especially when these people are clearly making huge money from the grief of others.

Well I guess like most things it depends on which media source you read, but yes the general theory by DNA evidence is that it was a polish immigrant by the name of Aaron. Jamies guess of the name John was a good one based on luck as John was a very popular mens name in that time period. Also during this 'interview' with the ripper she claims that she doesn't understand some of the words he is using, but why would that stop her from saying them? You don't have to understand a word to say it. Channeling is meant to be about using the exact words of the deceased, providing even more proof that the process is real. Strangely most of her spirits have very similar words, wording and theories on life. Which really do lead me to think they are her words, thoughts and opinions, not a deceased person. Like I said, I am a believer in the afterlife but I'm not easily fooled.

I've not studied all the competing arguments regarding the DNA, however we know from modern legal cases that these things are not always easily pinned down.

As for the primary topic of this thread, I will say that the whole thing seems to have turned into somewhat of a commercial/entertainment activity rather than anything which can be taken seriously. Possibly there may have been something rather more level-headed at the outset.

Last edited:
Another erroneous detail from one of their celebrity interviews:

During the Jeffrey Dahmer interview (it is available on their YouTube channel), Elisa asks Jamie how Dahmer died. Jamie physically tenses up and after some hesitation, claims that Dahmer said he was 'put to death' by the prison. However, in actuality, he was murdered by another inmate.

Jamie works to change the subject quickly after the 'put to death' comment, and claims that Jeffrey Dahmer (who apparently will only refer to himself as 'J.D.', to provide a distance from his past self) will not comment any further on the matter.

Authentic channelling with put your heart at ease which allows you to spiritually grow. Words are the container for the feelings dispensed by the spirit being channelled. The idea is when you interpret the words into feelings you haven't experienced, then the experience itself will transform you.

Has it transform you as an individual to become MORE than you are right now? Your life is your mirror. If you are attracted to this messenger and has many issues you dislike about this messenger, then those issues you dislike with her are in you as well. That's how the Universe works. It shows to us what we are so oblivious to ourselves and is reflected by other people who are our teachers; teaching us that we need to grow and transcend the issues you dislike about her.

This is an old thread, but I need to state some things. I am a mother who lost her son earlier this year. Initially because of my grief I was drawn to this "Channeling Erik" blog. In the beginning I bought into it because I was in so much pain and wanted answers. But things started to seem false. Interviews with JFK, Ted Bundy, Bob Hope, and yes even Jesus. The list goes on. Apparently all Erik's mom (Elisa Medhus) has to do is ask Erik and he will bring in everybody. From Mother Earth to Little Grey Aliens. Then there are the times when Erik takes over Jamie Butler's body and she begins to ACT like Erik. It is so ridiculous. All of them are making a lot of money off grieving parents. Now they are trying to get a reality tv show out of it, and of course Elisa Medhus is going to write another book. So many facts wrong in these celebrity interviews. I think now Jamie Butler is charging $650 for a medium session. She also does 7 minute phone sessions, and group sessions, can you see the amount of money she is raking in? So many people now on the facebook blog think they are really powerful mediums too. Everyone is having Erik signs, and pranks, and out of body experiences. Everyone is an expert. And if you question anything, because it seems impossible, Elisa Medhus will freak out. How dare you question her a "grieving mom." So nobody ever does. Elisa Medhus also asks everyone to like her page, her videos, any interviews, votes on blogger awards, etc. I believed at first that she was just a grieving mom, and not at fault. Then one night I woke up like BAMM! And you know what hit me? She is false too. Why? Because I know that as a mom, who knows her son, if someone like Jamie Butler was connected with him, and his words were coming out of her mouth, I would know in an instant if it was my son talking. No doubt. The interviews through Jamie/Erik/Elisa are so weird. Both mom and son have foul language. But it's not even that. It is the way his mom giggles and posts her questions. It is so hard to believe she is even a doctor due to her immaturity. I really feel that this site is taking advantage of grieving people. I feel it to the core. I just hope that someday what I feel will be proven. And I do have beliefs in the afterlife. Just not with these people. The best mediums in the world could not do what Jamie Butler claims. At least none I know about. If you investigate like I did, please post your thoughts.[/quot
Authentic channelling with put your heart at ease which allows you to spiritually grow. Words are the container for the feelings dispensed by the spirit being channelled. The idea is when you interpret the words into feelings you haven't experienced, then the experience itself will transform you.

Has it transform you as an individual to become MORE than you are right now? Your life is your mirror. If you are attracted to this messenger and has many issues you dislike about this messenger, then those issues you dislike with her are in you as well. That's how the Universe works. It shows to us what we are so oblivious to ourselves and is reflected by other people who are our teachers; teaching us that we need to grow and transcend the issues you dislike about her.
I think you need to read the blog and the celebrity interviews PROPERLY eg Walt Disney didn't say he grew up in Ireland this life they asked him which past life influenced him the most and he said the one in which he grew up as a dwarf in Ireland, also Erik isn't a medium so how would you know whether he can gcelrbritues

Celebrities to get through, Jamie has said this countless times, she is also creating the LLC as a non profit organisation and Dr Medhus pays for a lit of bloggers to have a session she also states she doesn't accept monetary gifts and is writing the book for the blog so it can eventually help everyone to have a reading and get bereavement counseling if needed, this maybe the reason so many of your peers rate this site

Well I guess like most things it depends on which media source you read, but yes the general theory by DNA evidence is that it was a polish immigrant by the name of Aaron. Jamies guess of the name John was a good one based on luck as John was a very popular mens name in that time period. Also during this 'interview' with the ripper she claims that she doesn't understand some of the words he is using, but why would that stop her from saying them? You don't have to understand a word to say it. Channeling is meant to be about using the exact words of the deceased, providing even more proof that the process is real. Strangely most of her spirits have very similar words, wording and theories on life. Which really do lead me to think they are her words, thoughts and opinions, not a deceased person. Like I said, I am a believer in the afterlife but I'm not easily fooled.
Aaron? In Victorian England? V unlikely indeed the words used are for us as humans we need words to describe things to understand it's hard to describe energetic feelings and emotions in words helloooo people wake up! read Quantum Physics and the afterlife

Aaron? In Victorian England? V unlikely indeed the words used are for us as humans we need words to describe things to understand it's hard to describe energetic feelings and emotions in words helloooo people wake up! read Quantum Physics and the afterlife
Google The Independent it explains that the Scientist made a huge error I thought this was a site for intelligent people?

When I read a bit ahead in the book, I noticed "Erik" gets into scientific matters regarding consciousness and science.

For all you Skeptiko science, QM & consciousness nerds out there ;), "Erik" says it's all bout the neutrino:

channelingerik link

Thank you for the link.

The use of terms like 'neutrino' or 'electron' are analogies that make the concepts more understandable. Today, the idea of a vortex is re-emerging.

The Vortex of Energy is an old idea reinvented. As well as in the East the vortex was embraced by philosophers like Epicurus in the West and then the great Victorian scientists. Now it is back and aligned with Albert Einstein rather than against him. It simply refuses to die. Even in its new form it is sure to meet with resistance but that is to be expected because people resist change and, in the words of Einstein: “Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.” :D

The Vortex of Energy is simple enough for any one of average intelligence and a reasonable level of school science to understand. The joy of this theory is that any reader can judge its merit from its content without having to seek ‘expert opinion’. There is no math and in place of equations there are analogies that will appeal even to children because it is the children who will be seeking reconciliation for a better world in which to live.

I am so glad I found this site. I too have been drawn to Channeling Erik after reading both of the books they have out. At first I was so excited. But that quickly subsided as I realized a lot of what you and everyone has posted about the lack of authenticity. I started seeing contradictions in the blog posts and when I read the responses to the blogs at the bottom of the pages I was not the only one. People were writing that they were confused. They saw inconsistencies and they didn't believe what the person coming thru the chanel was saying. One post even talked about Erik being wrong and I have even caught inconsistencies with what he said. Unbelievable! I am sorry to hear about your loss by the way. There are so many parents and loved ones who come to the CE site like you and they are getting duped. So unfair!

I too believe in the afterlife. I read the book The Afterlife of Billy Fingers and really resonated with that. But was confused by that as well because at the end of the book the author loses contact with her brother Billy because he shifts from a soul to Spirit. It leaves the reader thinking that that is their last and final contact because she no longer hears him. Well...the other day I emailed her and asked her if she still talks to Billy and she said yes. A very short response from her. That left me a little confused.

Anyway, I agree with you. I hope that someday the truth will come out. I may write an email to these people and let them know how I feel.

OK, so I was browsing on Amazon and impulsively purchased a relatively new book (2013) called "My Son and the Afterlife: Conversations from the Other Side" by Elisa Medhus MD. It wasn't completely impulsive, because the reason I bought it was the recommendations by Eben Alexander, Thomas Campbell and Craig Hogan, among others. (And I've been reading very old books recently and wanted a nice, easy contemporary read.)

Medhus lost her son to suicide in 2009 or so, she was an atheist and a skeptic, raised by atheist parents, but that loss (and her family getting a lot of after-death communications) made her research psi and decide to open her mind up to possibilities, then she decided to go to channelling mediums, and they related information that convinced her it was her son Erik coming through, and she went about creating a blog that's become very popular, channelingerik.com, and now the book.

I didn't check out the blog. I thought "What the hell, I'll read this, I know it's channeled material, but I'll see what it's about". I just started the book (30 pages), but then shared this with Trancestate, who checked out the site and told me about it. Man, this is BS. The same mediums, from the same "Erik" sessions, are channeling Jesus, Hitler, Buddy Holly, John Lennon, Billie Holliday. Any celebrity you want, Erik just has to call them up, and they show up. And it's just... bad.

It doesn't automatically mean her son Erik isn't communicating or hasn't communicated, but the channeling overlay is something else.

http://www.channelingerik.com/best-of-erik-channeling-adolph-hitler/
http://www.channelingerik.com/channeling-john-lennon-part-one/
http://www.channelingerik.com/channeling-billie-holiday/
http://www.channelingerik.com/channeling-john-f-kennedy-part-one/
http://www.channelingerik.com/channeling-jesus-part-one/
etc.

So... I'm not going to read this book. What got me, over and above the fact that there' s hundreds of 4 and 5 star reviews completely crowding out the bad reviews, is the recommendations by these people that I wouldn't have expected. They must surely not have visited the website.

I should have read this Amazon review:

I also resonate with this one:

Thanks for posting this. See my post reply to Rhain above . I am so upset about all this. I really thought at first their was some legitimacy to what the mother experienced with her son. I still believe that she did have those experiences at home with Erik where things would disappear and reappear etc. He probably does come thru the channeler but if the channeler is not getting the info correctly or is biased and Erik is hearing what she is telling his mom, why cant he stop it. Or find another channeler that can tell his mom that Jaime is off. Or for that matter, that any of the other ones are off. They have so many now! Its totally confusing. I wish we could all do something to get their site taken down. They are harming so many vulnerable people.

Back