Checklist 4 Lucid Dreaming

Pollux

New
"Here’s How You Can Perfectly Control Your Dreams Every Night"

"People are always trying to control their dreams, and it’s probably a lot easier than you think. The below infographic ventures deep into the phenomenon of lucid dreaming and shows us how it’s done.

It helps the process along to know each of the cycles of sleep, what happens during them, whether or not you’re dreaming, and what is actually occurring in your brain.

Lucid dreaming can truly transform the way we experience our dreams, as well as how we look at our waking lives. You’ll be able to see specific things in your dreams that could be telling of something much larger in your life, as well as recall your dreams perfectly.

Good luck!"
http://higherperspective.com/2015/02/control-dreams.html

Last edited:
I remember we talked about lucid dreaming a lot on the other forum, and I wrote about those few times I have had a lucid dream.

This self-confirmation technique that one can use, to be fully aware that you have a lucid dream, actually occurred to me before I've ever read about it. For me the first time was when I was looking at a digital clock, in a room I was in, in the dream. I was wondering what time it was so I looked at the clock and registered the time and then looked away. But as soon I looked away I found that I had forgotten what time I registered. So I looked back at it again and thought to myself; how could I have forgotten that? And then, suddenly, it kinda snapped in my mind somehow, and I knew I was dreaming.

What I read later on was almost the same thing I experienced; "-When you find yourself in that transit state before you get full control and you feel a bit uneasy and indecisive, try to find something in the dream that is written on, or even better, find something with numbers on it. (like a digital clock or some paper with dates on it).

When you look at the numbers and try to focus and comprehend the digits on them they garble up. You find that you are unable to sort the numbers
(with some training they can become a bit clearer).
Then try to memorize the number sequence and look away and try to remember them. It's quite impossible - at least for me, and also for many other people it seems.

Anyway, at this point you become quite aware that this is a dream you´re in, and in this knowing you get more confident and become able to control it to some extent. I have never been able to control the scenery and change that, but I am able to control my movement and direction to go etc. But it is an awesome feeling when you become aware of the lucid dream. :)

The first time I had a semi-lucid dream I didn't know what was happening. I wasn't able to control much of anything, but it was a lucid dream in that sense that I felt things more vividly. And also, when I woke up I felt immediately that this was something extra than just a normal dream.

Anyway, in this dream I happened to be in the bathroom of my old childhood home (our family don't own that house any more). I felt like I was just a kid again and I was leaning over the toilet urinating, with one hand against the wall, when I suddenly sensed a small tug upwards in my lumbar.

At that point I became somewhat lucid in my dreams. I somehow knew I was dreaming and the tug in my back came again. (It wasn't as vivid as lucid dream I have had later on, but it was real enough, so to speak).
Anyway, it was quite a surreal feeling.of this tugging upward by my lumbar. I have never been lifted in a harness of some kind in real life, so this feeling was quite new for me.

The tug became more of a gentle lifting after a while when I was comfortable with it, And slowly I was suspended in the air, and my body was levelled out with my back to the ground and my face against the ceiling.

Then suddenly I was moving through the air with my feet first. I was lowered down a bit so I could pass through the doorway and out in to the hall.I was looking around wondering what/who was doing this since I didn't command it myself.

I was floating in to our living room where we have four big windows and I was approaching them. Since I couldn't stop the movement I was preparing for the inevitable crash of glass when my feet broke the window.
But, this did not happen. Instead I experienced a feeling and sense which can not be properly explained since I have no real reference to it.
But I'm going to try to explain it with a mix of other feeling to describe it. However, they would not be a match to the proper feeling I had though.

I was passing through the glass, but not without feeling anything. Instead it was something that could only be described as a mix of a coarse liquid, cold, tingling, electric feeling.

I was feeling the cold from the outside air on my feet before the rest of my body was passing through the glass. I became very anxious before my torso and head was passing through. I thought my body, and especially my head was not going to deal with this passage very well.

The will to stop the dream was coming over me, but the curiosity was stronger, and since this was some kind of semi-lucid dream (I was aware that I was dreaming but I wasnt in control fully over the actions but felt I was able to stop it all) I decided to go through with it.

The passing of my torso through the glass felt like going in to a electric,ice cold, bath, and it took my breath away almost. The passing of my head was feeling what could be described as a gentle brain-stroke, a sort of numbness and a mental crunch of some sort.

When I was through I began to move over the landscape, feet first, floating.
I began picking up speed and the feeling was a mix of fear, anxiety, excitement and serenity.

I could feel the mix of lukewarm and cool air against the sole of my feet.
The feeling of just that was so real that I almost began to contemplate if this wasn't the real life and not a dream. In lack of describing the feeling and scenery, have a look at this clip where the view is straight ahead, from the aircraft, blasting over the landscape.

At this point the worry and fear that this might go out of control pulled me out of the dream. I almost bolted out of bed still with the feeling of wind in my hair, and my feet felt cold and stiff.

I know the second that I opened my eyes, that this dream was one I would never forget and the feeling of weightlessness was with me the better part of the morning.

Some things to consider before applying too much energy on lucid dreaming.

1. Use a snore app to determine whether you might be suffering from a sleep disorder like sleep apnea. If you are overweight, there is a good chance that you may have some degree of apnea. Of course that isn't the same as a medical diagnosis, but apnea is pretty easy to recognize. If you have apnea it will really interfere with your REM sleep cycles. Some people of normal weight also suffer from it. It is good to check this out if you are determined to spend the time and energy to lucid dream. No matter how much you work toward lucid dreaming, if you have severe apnea your success will likely be limited. Normal REM sleep cycles are essential to develop extended lucid dreaming sessions.

2. Most resources on lucid dreaming don't talk about awareness and attention, but copious amounts of each will make your efforts at lucid dreaming a lot more fruitful. There are various meditation techniques that focus exclusively on awareness and also on building the power of attention (or concentration.) One way to think about lucid dreaming is simply that you are bringing a greater awareness into the shift of consciousness that is the sleeping (or dreaming) state. The more aware you can become during waking consciousness, the more awareness you can bring to dreaming consciousness. Some people are natural lucid dreamers and I have a suspicion that these folks are likely naturally endowed with the requisite level of awareness and concentration. But others needn't fret--both can be easily increased through regular and disciplined meditational practice. Such practice needn't be considered "spiritual" in any regard.

Some things to consider before applying too much energy on lucid dreaming.

1. Use a snore app to determine whether you might be suffering from a sleep disorder like sleep apnea. If you are overweight, there is a good chance that you may have some degree of apnea. Of course that isn't the same as a medical diagnosis, but apnea is pretty easy to recognize. If you have apnea it will really interfere with your REM sleep cycles. Some people of normal weight also suffer from it. It is good to check this out if you are determined to spend the time and energy to lucid dream. No matter how much you work toward lucid dreaming, if you have severe apnea your success will likely be limited. Normal REM sleep cycles are essential to develop extended lucid dreaming sessions.

2. Most resources on lucid dreaming don't talk about awareness and attention, but copious amounts of each will make your efforts at lucid dreaming a lot more fruitful. There are various meditation techniques that focus exclusively on awareness and also on building the power of attention (or concentration.) One way to think about lucid dreaming is simply that you are bringing a greater awareness into the shift of consciousness that is the sleeping (or dreaming) state. The more aware you can become during waking consciousness, the more awareness you can bring to dreaming consciousness. Some people are natural lucid dreamers and I have a suspicion that these folks are likely naturally endowed with the requisite level of awareness and concentration. But others needn't fret--both can be easily increased through regular and disciplined meditational practice. Such practice needn't be considered "spiritual" in any regard.

Some great advice there.

Which meditation do you recommend for increasing awareness/concentration ? I meditate appx daily but just empty my mind, with no intent or anything else.

For concentration specifically, Google samatha jhana practice. If you can easily glean wheat from chaff these two reddit threads are a great resource. Just disregard the BS and pick out the practical steps that this guy is suggesting. But there are lots of books and stuff on the web also.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Meditation/comments/1u9acp/ama_ive_been_doing_concentration_meditation/
http://www.reddit.com/r/Meditation/...ve_been_doing_concentration_meditation_daily/

Rightfully or not, I kind of divide meditation into two groups--samatha (or concentration) and everything else. I think most any other form of meditation helps to increase daily awareness. There are lots of techniques also like noticing which can be used with any of the senses or thoughts and can also be done anywhere and anytime. I find noticing especially fruitful with hearing. Just sitting for a time noticing every sound no matter how subtle. I'm not a meditation expert. Your milage may vary. In my opinion mixing meditation with "spirituality" complicates things.

It's strange. I have had very few lucid dreams but I always feel as if I am somehow more aware when sleeping than 'should' be. On occasion when I am very tired and fall asleep quickly and don't 'recall' sleeping it is unnerving. I don't even know if my words can accurately describe it...it's definitely hard to quantify.

I lucid dream sometimes.

As a sidenote good infographic. I think there needs to be more afterlife evidence infographics, perhaps that what is needed to convince skeptics. I know I sometimes really get something when I see an infographic.

Back