Claire Broad, Psychic Mediumship and Science |427|

This was a beautiful interview. I liked the whole thing and found myself agreeing with everything said.

I particularly liked the discussion on light v dark and spiritual ascension. Yes! Taking what you find yourself/people you find yourself with in and elevating it = spiritual ascension. Perfect!

Of course there are those who do the opposite for whatever twisted reason - but yeah, as long as you are spiritually aware and strong, they can't hurt you - at least not spiritually. They always go after the lost and the weak.

Claire also seemed to point toward one of my favorite realizations - you are as important as anyone/anything else and your perception is just as legit. You are a god like being and you make your own world into a paradise. You count as much as a so called ascended master. Don't look to others to show you the way. Take hints and clues where helpful, but do it yourself. At the end of the day, your path is your path and you can't substitute in anyone else's if you really want to realize the soul. I think Claire was alluding to that.

Thanks again Alex and Claire.
Hi! Thank you so much for listening to our conversation. You’ve put into words perfectly my understanding. We must own our own power and our own paths. I love Paulo Coelho’s quote from The Light Warrior “]In order to have faith in his own path, he does not need to prove that someone else's path is wrong.”

Last edited:
Alex,

That was the best interview for some time. I'd like to start with your question,

Science probably won't ask any interesting questions of mediums if it can avoid it, but I think it would be interesting to know:

a) What is it all for - after perfecting ourselves over many incarnations, what do we do then? Is there a big picture?

b) When we die, what is 'life' like out there? Jurgen Ziewe would tell us life up there has some similarity with life down here - so much so that some people are dead for a while before they realise what has happened. Is this the general opinion of mediums?

c) Do people out there study anything such as Maths. Ramanujan claimed to receive 'downloads' of maths ideas from an Indian Goddess. Are there entities like that out there that might do that?

d) Is the physicist Henry Stapp's (Quantum Mechanical) theory of the link between consciousness and matter correct?

I do hope Claire will join the forum for a while and give us her answers to those questions, and others that people will surely think of!

I think many people would find Alex's approach to quality assuring a medium rather daunting. I wonder what sort of confirmatory questions it would be reasonable to ask, for example:

Is it fair to ask for the year of passing of the person the medium is in contact with?

Is it fair to demand some physical identifying feature of the person while alive?

I guess I'd also love to ask whether she encountered any evidence of a timeless realm - which is discussed by some people reporting their NDE's.

David
Hi David
Thank you so much for inviting me here to the forum and for your kind words about the interview.
As a practising medium, the biggest problem I can foresee with mediumship, is that mediums can only ever interpret the information they receive through the filter of an already limited and programmed brain. For those in higher dimensions of intelligence, it must be rather like humans trying to communicate to monkeys. There is only so much we are capable of comprehending. This is why I try to keep an open mind about everything, as I’m sure my own ideas are painfully simplistic.

With regards to question a) I have come to believe that reality is infinite. There most likely isn’t an end, but rather an eternal recycling. I believe just as the universe is expanding, consciousness as part of that reality is too. The purpose for me then is that reality or perhaps you could say quantum consciousness is ever evolving and expanding. It reaches higher and higher expressions of itself through each individual expression of life. We are all contributing to that tapestry. Do we know we perfect ourselves through each life time and incarnation? I’m not sure we do, given I apparently had access to knowledge in the past life I was told about, that I have lost now. I’m not sure perfection is the aim of the game. How boring would life be if one day we reached a point of euphoria where we sat on a cloud, plucking a harp in a heavenly state of perfection for eternity? Wouldn’t that at some point become less than heavenly? From the connections I have experienced with spirit, it seems love is the name of the game and we don’t need to be perfect to experience that. Experience in all its guises seems to me to make more sense.

My answer to Question b) is as follows. My experiences with the deceased give me reason to believe that ‘as above, so below’ is probably an accurate description. We do not appear to become instant perfection with our transformation into spirit. I have asked the spirit intelligences that have reached out to me what it’s like, I’m told there are many dimensions of reality based on the thoughts we hold, and our level of awareness. I have been shown realms of reality that look just like our own and then I’ve received flashes on insight I can’t even describe or comprehend. Realms of beautiful light and colour that seem to hum with sound and which house crystalline like structures inhabiting intelligence. It defies explanation. I think the purpose is to show me that I haven’t really got a clue what ultimate reality is. Deceased loved ones however, often communicate their experience of life now is more real than it ever was in their human body. No longer limited by its form and sensual restrictions, reality seems absolutely vivid and thrumming with energy, emotion, colour and light in spirit form.

Answer to question c) and d). Yes, definitely. Learning appears to continue in the next phase of life as far as I can glean. I’m told many times about the continued learning spirit people are choosing to take part in post their deaths. There are most definitely higher intelligences interested in physics and maths. I’m sure they try to download information to our minds and perhaps this goes some way to explaining eureka moments. I often ponder on the idea that if a brain existed here in a medium in our world, that was both capable of computing genius level maths and also capable of expanding and attuning to higher intelligence, what information could we get through mediumship? Einstein and Tesla seem to be the closest we’ve come to intuitive genius. The fact is, in order to develop mediumship, people must learn to go beyond thinking. As a rule, Intellectual people tend to be rather stuck in their analytical thoughts and so, the two don’t often come together. Moreover, many mediums are simple folk for good reason. They make clearer channels. The proficient ones are able to let go of all thought, in order to move into expanded awareness. It’s not that equations can’t come through mediumship, it seems to require conducive circumstances. Medium, Eileen Garrett is said to have done it and I personally know a channeller who says they received an equation they couldn’t understand. They took it to an astro-physicist who confirmed it was an anti-gravitational equation. The problem I believe, is we are not ready as a species to use such information wisely. With regards to deceased loved ones of course, they couldn’t give a monkey’s uncle about delivering equations like this. They are only interested in one thing - love. I’m aware this answer might seem convenient to some, but I can only speak from what I’ve personally experienced.

Finally, with regards to mediumship vetting. I would suggest it is not helpful to ask any medium for information during a reading. It places their mind under suggestion and renders them prone to ‘colouring’ communication with their own thoughts. A better way forward is an accreditation scheme. A medium can be assessed over time and prove themself capable of providing specifics. Then the public have some trust that this medium has proven they can work to high standards and with integrity. I personally always describe the look of the spirit people communicating with me but the problem with this is, many choose to take the form in spirit of a younger version of themselves and their loved ones here don’t always remember what their grandmother looked like for example, back in the day. It’s also not helpful to demand the year the person died. Time is mostly felt, not heard or seen by mediums so often is experienced as an approximate. Plus, in spirit we hold no concept of time anyway. Mediums can learn in training to try to develop skills in perceiving dates, names and addresses. I try to give them myself if I can but interestingly, my clients get nervous when I give too many details of this manner, They say they would believe i’d researched them online if I gave more than one or two facts. It seems, better evidence for people these days is the stuff that can’t be found online, personality of a loved one, private moments shared, expressions they used, private conversations had or even descriptions of tattoos etc, are more believable. It’s all food for thought in the debate of what constitutes evidence of survival and as always, I’m open to chewing over the fat.

Interesting show. I was very much in tune with Claire's take on things. But i think she misunderstands the nature of hierarchy in this context. It is not an organisational one based on ego - but one of relative competence or refinement.
Thank you for listening. I’d go along with that interpretation too :) Thank you for expanding on this. I’m not sure I am comfort with hierarchy at all in spirit. We all play our part in the great tapestry of life and none of us are more or less important. Variety is the spice of life.

I am part way through Clear's book, "What the dead are trying to teach us" and it looks really good. Unlike any other book I have read,
she describes her own psychic experiences, the scientific research that has been done, and her work as a medium.

I must admit, I have bought a few books from Alex's Interviewees, and given up on them because they are frustratingly lightweight and naive - but I think this book is well worth everyone reading.

One tiny criticism I would make, is that when she describes the science done by the many investigators 'on our side' such as Ian Stephenson, she maybe fails to explain that these people's work is ignored by the bulk of science - which might mislead some people. That will not confuse anyone here.

David
I’m so happy you’re enjoying the book. Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback. I shall certainly take on board all you have said for future books. Thank you

Many thanks for joining us here! I'd always assumed that Alex encouraged every guest to come on here!

With regards to question a) I have come to believe that reality is infinite. There most likely isn’t an end, but rather an eternal recycling. I believe just as the universe is expanding, consciousness as part of that reality is too. The purpose for me then is that reality or perhaps you could say quantum consciousness is ever evolving and expanding. It reaches higher and higher expressions of itself through each individual expression of life. We are all contributing to that tapestry. Do we know we perfect ourselves through each life time and incarnation? I’m not sure we do, given I apparently had access to knowledge in the past life I was told about, that I have lost now. I’m not sure perfection is the aim of the game. How boring would life be if one day we reached a point of euphoria where we sat on a cloud, plucking a harp in a heavenly state of perfection for eternity? Wouldn’t that at some point become less than heavenly?
Indeed - I think five minutes of harp plucking might satisfy me! Assuming the history of the earth and universe is approximately correct, there was a time when only animal life existed, so I wonder if the 'evolution of life on earth isn't some sort of reflection of that development in general.

However, I am intrigued at those places where institutional science is going astray. One of those seems to be in its unequivocal backing of the theory of evolution by natural selection. Some of the people at the Discovery Institute are biochemists are focused on the science of this, and contrary to popular belief not all are even Christians. See here:
http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/threads/behes-argument-in-darwin-devolved.4317/
This would imply there were some very powerful minds working way back on the design of life on earth, and on the design of at least some individual species!

Regarding Quantum Consciousness, I think a lot of psychics open themselves to ridicule by using expressions like this, that they can't possibly expand on. I have seen Richard Dawkins interview a healer who for all I know was effective in helping people, but because she used the word DNA in a rather inappropriate way, he used it against her in his commentary after he had left her (i.e. not face to face).

On the other hand, like a lot of others here, I suspect that Quantum Mechanics is involved somehow in consciousness, and several physicists have built it into actual theories - in particular, Stapp and Penrose. However these theories are definitely tentative.
From the connections I have experienced with spirit, it seems love is the name of the game and we don’t need to be perfect to experience that.
I know, but the only trouble is that love seems hard to imagine in a vacuum, if you know what I mean.
Experience in all its guises seems to me to make more sense.

My answer to Question b) is as follows. My experiences with the deceased give me reason to believe that ‘as above, so below’ is probably an accurate description. We do not appear to become instant perfection with our transformation into spirit. I have asked the spirit intelligences that have reached out to me what it’s like, I’m told there are many dimensions of reality based on the thoughts we hold, and our level of awareness. I have been shown realms of reality that look just like our own and then I’ve received flashes on insight I can’t even describe or comprehend. Realms of beautiful light and colour that seem to hum with sound and which house crystalline like structures inhabiting intelligence. It defies explanation. I think the purpose is to show me that I haven’t really got a clue what ultimate reality is. Deceased loved ones however, often communicate their experience of life now is more real than it ever was in their human body. No longer limited by its form and sensual restrictions, reality seems absolutely vivid and thrumming with energy, emotion, colour and light in spirit form.
This description sounds rather similar to the descriptions that Jurgen Ziewe reports from extensive Out of Body Experiences.
Answer to question c) and d). Yes, definitely. Learning appears to continue in the next phase of life as far as I can glean. I’m told many times about the continued learning spirit people are choosing to take part in post their deaths. There are most definitely higher intelligences interested in physics and maths. I’m sure they try to download information to our minds and perhaps this goes some way to explaining eureka moments. I often ponder on the idea that if a brain existed here in a medium in our world, that was both capable of computing genius level maths and also capable of expanding and attuning to higher intelligence, what information could we get through mediumship? Einstein and Tesla seem to be the closest we’ve come to intuitive genius.
Possibly the best example of this was an Indian mathematician called Ramanujan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srinivasa_Ramanujan

He claimed to receive his best mathematical insights from an Indian goddess in his dreams. Even though he died in 1920, mathematicians are still working on decoding the contents of his various notebooks!
The fact is, in order to develop mediumship, people must learn to go beyond thinking. As a rule, Intellectual people tend to be rather stuck in their analytical thoughts and so, the two don’t often come together.
Again this relates to Ramanujan, who seemed to sit astride that gulf.
Moreover, many mediums are simple folk for good reason. They make clearer channels. The proficient ones are able to let go of all thought, in order to move into expanded awareness. It’s not that equations can’t come through mediumship, it seems to require conducive circumstances. Medium, Eileen Garrett is said to have done it and I personally know a channeller who says they received an equation they couldn’t understand. They took it to an astro-physicist who confirmed it was an anti-gravitational equation. The problem I believe, is we are not ready as a species to use such information wisely. With regards to deceased loved ones of course, they couldn’t give a monkey’s uncle about delivering equations like this. They are only interested in one thing - love. I’m aware this answer might seem convenient to some, but I can only speak from what I’ve personally experienced.
I can readily imagine that dictating equations via a medium would be very hard indeed!

Thanks again for joining us here.

David

Thank you Claire for joining us here.

This is an area in which I am observing and learning. Skeptic means 'to go look' - so, I joined Skeptiko as one of the avenues/means of going and looking. There are some things I do have significant experience inside, however, in matters which pertain to the placeholder domain many of us call 'spirit' I am only an observer for the most part.

Any contribution you can offer the forum is most welcome.

TES

Many thanks for joining us here! I'd always assumed that Alex encouraged every guest to come on here!

Indeed - I think five minutes of harp plucking might satisfy me! Assuming the history of the earth and universe is approximately correct, there was a time when only animal life existed, so I wonder if the 'evolution of life on earth isn't some sort of reflection of that development in general.

However, I am intrigued at those places where institutional science is going astray. One of those seems to be in its unequivocal backing of the theory of evolution by natural selection. Some of the people at the Discovery Institute are biochemists are focused on the science of this, and contrary to popular belief not all are even Christians. See here:
http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/threads/behes-argument-in-darwin-devolved.4317/
This would imply there were some very powerful minds working way back on the design of life on earth, and on the design of at least some individual species!

Regarding Quantum Consciousness, I think a lot of psychics open themselves to ridicule by using expressions like this, that they can't possibly expand on. I have seen Richard Dawkins interview a healer who for all I know was effective in helping people, but because she used the word DNA in a rather inappropriate way, he used it against her in his commentary after he had left her (i.e. not face to face).

On the other hand, like a lot of others here, I suspect that Quantum Mechanics is involved somehow in consciousness, and several physicists have built it into actual theories - in particular, Stapp and Penrose. However these theories are definitely tentative.

I know, but the only trouble is that love seems hard to imagine in a vacuum, if you know what I mean.

This description sounds rather similar to the descriptions that Jurgen Ziewe reports from extensive Out of Body Experiences.

Possibly the best example of this was an Indian mathematician called Ramanujan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srinivasa_Ramanujan

He claimed to receive his best mathematical insights from an Indian goddess in his dreams. Even though he died in 1920, mathematicians are still working on decoding the contents of his various notebooks!

Again this relates to Ramanujan, who seemed to sit astride that gulf.

I can readily imagine that dictating equations via a medium would be very hard indeed!

Thanks again for joining us here.

David

I hear you. From a purely spiritual perspective and nothing scientific at all, when I read ancient scriptures it seems to me that knowledge of powerful minds influencing life back in antiquity was taken as a given. I’m open to all theories at this time, particularly as survival of the fittest doesn’t seem to fully resonate with me as truth. I am sure if I saw a disabled or elderly person about to burn in a fire, instinct would more likely make me want to rush to help rather than just turn the opposite way and run a mile to save my own life.

Point taken about quantum consciousness. I merely mentioned as a question, not a fact because I’ve looked into the work of Sir Roger Penrose et al myself. You’re right, this is the sort of language that tangles knickers in a twist . Richard Dawkins holds no credible voice for me any longer as he does not include consciousness at all in his studies. He appears to me as fanatical as the evangelical faith leaders, which in my thinking renders him incapable of avoiding confirmation bias. To my limited understanding, reality cannot be experienced without consciousness. It makes sense to me that it must exist throughout at all levels of reality including the quantum but perhaps the double slit experiment is causing too many of us to jump the gun in this respect?

Thanks for all the info and in particular on Ramanujan. I am going to look into this now.

Thank you Claire for joining us here.

This is an area in which I am observing and learning. Skeptic means 'to go look' - so, I joined Skeptiko as one of the avenues/means of going and looking. There are some things I do have significant experience inside, however, in matters which pertain to the placeholder domain many of us call 'spirit' I am only an observer for the most part.

Any contribution you can offer the forum is most welcome.

TES
Thank you so much. A true open minded observer. You have my respect. Spirit to me is a word that can be used instead of saying something longer like the inner awareness that exists within us all that goes beyond the purely physical reality. To me it’s interchangeable with psyche or consciousness but given spirit beings seem to present themselves in light form too, I wonder if that also plays its part? ‘Spirit’ as you already point out is simply a word pointing to something none of us truly understand. I too am observing and learning so it’s a pleasure to be here.

Some of the founders of quantum mechanics, including Nobel Prize winners, did not believe quantum mechanics would explain consciousness. They believed it was the other way around, that consciousness explained quantum mechanics.

https://sites.google.com/site/chs4o8pt/eminent_researchers#researchers_plank

Max Planck​
(Nobel Prize for Physics)​
As a man who has devoted his whole life to the most clear headed science, to the study of matter, I can tell you as a result of my research about atoms this much: There is no matter as such. All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particle of an atom to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together. We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent mind. This mind is the matrix of all matter.​
Das Wesen der Materie [The Nature of Matter], speech at Florence, Italy (1944) (from Archiv zur Geschichte der Max-Planck-Gesellschaft, Abt. Va, Rep. 11 Planck, Nr. 1797)​
Erwin Schrödinger​
"Consciousness cannot be accounted for in physical terms. For consciousness is absolutely fundamental. It cannot be accounted for in terms of anything else."​
John von Neumann​
In his treatise The Mathematical Foundations of Quantum Mechanics, John von Neumann deeply analyzed the so-called measurement problem. He concluded that the entire physical universe could be made subject to the Schrödinger equation (the universal wave function). Since something "outside the calculation" was needed to collapse the wave function, von Neumann concluded that the collapse was caused by the consciousness of the experimenter (WIkipedia)​

Last edited:
Some of the founders of quantum mechanics, Nobel Prize winners, did not believe quantum mechanics would explain consciousness. They believed it was the other way around, that consciousness explained quantum mechanics.

https://sites.google.com/site/chs4o8pt/eminent_researchers#researchers_plank

Max Planck​
As a man who has devoted his whole life to the most clear headed science, to the study of matter, I can tell you as a result of my research about atoms this much: There is no matter as such. All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particle of an atom to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together. We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent mind. This mind is the matrix of all matter.​
Das Wesen der Materie [The Nature of Matter], speech at Florence, Italy (1944) (from Archiv zur Geschichte der Max-Planck-Gesellschaft, Abt. Va, Rep. 11 Planck, Nr. 1797)​
Erwin Schrödinger​
"Consciousness cannot be accounted for in physical terms. For consciousness is absolutely fundamental. It cannot be accounted for in terms of anything else."​
Very true! Thank you for reminding me of this fact

Very true! ...

Claire,

I have had a few questions that I have been wondering about for a while, I would be interested in your thoughts on them if you have any.

What it the relationship between the "humanity" that exists in the spirit realm (the spirits of humans) and the "humanity" that exists in biological form on Earth? Does the spirit humanity have any kind of responsibility for the development or condition of the biological humanity? Is part of our job while incarnated to fulfill those responsibilities?

When spirits graduate from the Earth plane and go beyond physical incarnations, or go to incarnate in physical bodies on other planets, do they still have these responsibilities?

Or do any responsibilities apply just to certain "guides of humanity" if there are such beings?

Is there a group karma?

Is the Earth a school that needs to be imperfect to provide us "challenging" lessons, or is Earth and incarnated humanity in a process of development to a more perfect condition?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Claire,

I have a question related to Jim's (above). We on Skeptiko have often wondered why NDE's vary quite a bit. Some people say they meet Jesus, some meet holy men (mostly men!) from other religions, and the accounts of those with longer NDE's also seem to vary. I have begun to wonder if powerful ideologies that exist on Earth extend into spiritual counterparts out there. What do you think?

David

Predator-prey is really part of a spectrum of relationships between the eater and the eatee. Its not something we can look at as if our POV is the right one. If we accept the proposition that the essence of reality is consciousness, then any packet of consciousness expressed in living form is going to be part of the transfer of energies in some way - as consumer or that which is consumed.

In terms of form there is an inherent 'sacrificial' element in nature - any ecosystem is self-eating and self-nourishing - ideally in balance. We can't edit predator-prey relationships to suit our sentimentalities. True, we can elect to not eat more evolved forms of consciousness [like sheep and pigs] and prefer less evolved forms like carrots and lettuce. But let's not imagine its a moral issue and we don't prey on carrots and lettuce.

Likewise we had better pray the predator-prey dynamic works on and in our own bodies if we want to survive for long.

Lions may lay down with lambs in spirit form, imagined as heaven. And they may do the same here on Earth provided they are well fed with other lambs or suitable substitutes.

We have to stop looking at these things as if our POV is the only valid one.
To echo David Bailey's sentiment, perhaps we are missing something. Something big and important. So big and important we cannot make a good judgement here.

But really?! The beings need energy?! Sorry, but seriously think about it...I can go into detail, but probably will not do so.

But really?! The beings need energy?! Sorry, but seriously think about it...I can go into detail, but probably will not do so.
The behaviour, although this is inductive in its guess, and is only my guess - is the behaviour of those who inveigle (politely shrouded avarice). Inveigle is what a skilled dark practitioner does under a combination of

1. Fear of
2. Hatred of
3. Envy of ...the person

4. Greed (getting something for nothing) for ...a thing or state...

This is the emotion I perceive in the recounts I have read. If I had to place a bet on it - we have something (most or all of) the darker ones desire. They cannot gain access to it, or lost it in some way. And we are hated for it.

Last edited:
Claire,

I have had a few questions that I have been wondering about for a while, I would be interested in your thoughts on them if you have any.

What it the relationship between the "humanity" that exists in the spirit realm (the spirits of humans) and the "humanity" that exists in biological form on Earth? Does the spirit humanity have any kind of responsibility for the development or condition of the biological humanity? Is part of our job while incarnated to fulfill those responsibilities?

When spirits graduate from the Earth plane and go beyond physical incarnations, or go to incarnate in physical bodies on other planets, do they still have these responsibilities?

Or do any responsibilities apply just to certain "guides of humanity" if there are such beings?

Is there a group karma?

Is the Earth a school that needs to be imperfect to provide us "challenging" lessons, or is Earth and incarnated humanity in a process of development to a more perfect condition?

Thanks,

Hi Jim. Thank you for your excellent questions. I shall do my best to answer them based on my own personal experience, and painfully aware though that I don’t hold all the answers and I’m still seeking them myself.

With regards to responsibility of human beings by spirit beings, I believe it is both ways. Definitely, when spirit beings return to their loved ones during readings, they often outline the reason for their return during the sitting and many times it is because they still feel responsible for their loved ones here. They have a greater understanding of how their actions and emotions in their own life rippled out and affected subsequent generations to come. Many have an understanding that the ancestral ties between the spirit world and the Earth world still exist. So too, our actions here on earth, impact on reality in the spirit world. This is because we will one day return home there. It explains why so many people reach out from the other side, to try to give us peace of mind or greater understanding. What we do to another, we do to ourselves as ultimately we are all one. From a practitioner point of you, I can remember in my early days of practice being quite shocked when I realised it was often the spirit beings communicating with me that needed the therapeutic aspect of a reading sometimes even more so than those who were from this world and grieving. We are definitely inter-related and therefore we have a responsibility at some level for all life, whether it be on Earth, on other planets, or in the non-physical dimensions.

I’m not sure there are specific guides for humanity only. I would think these beings help with all intelligent life out there in the universe. This is because ultimately our material form is irrelevant, it’s the conscious intelligence behind it that matters. I’m quite aware when I see spirit guides for example, I am seeing an archetypal form to help me understand the teaching that intelligence brings. There are definitely guides who have lived on Earth before their deaths and so understand the earthly existence, who then choose to help other people who are now incarnate on earth but I’m not sure they’d be exclusive guides to humanity only.

There are higher intelligence is that I can sometimes struggle to reach. I am aware that the frequency goes beyond my own. My own guides tell me that they channel intelligence from even higher spheres of their own, down through themselves and into my own mind. The idea fascinates me that there are mediums in spirit too!

I like Newton’s third law that every action has an equal and opposite reaction. I know this applies to physics, physical matter, but it also helps me understand how karma operates. In this respect, there must be group karma as well as individual karma but my mind gets tangled when I try to understand the implications of it all.

With regards to Earth being a school, I’m uncertain on this one. I absolutely believe we come here to experience a physical life and to learn from it, but spirit beings are learning all the time in The spirit dimensions too, so it can’t be the Earth is purely a school to experience suffering. I don’t buy into that. Most spiritual masters teach that heaven is on Earth if we wish it. I’ve also experienced spirit beings who was still troubled in the spirit world. Therefore the whole earth is a school thing doesn’t seem to make sense to me. I think life is a process of experience and evolution at all levels.

These are my initial thoughts to your questions of which I will no doubt continue to chew over and examine.

Claire,

I have a question related to Jim's (above). We on Skeptiko have often wondered why NDE's vary quite a bit. Some people say they meet Jesus, some meet holy men (mostly men!) from other religions, and the accounts of those with longer NDE's also seem to vary. I have begun to wonder if powerful ideologies that exist on Earth extend into spiritual counterparts out there. What do you think?

David
Yes, I believe they do. I can’t speak for NDE because I haven’t had one, but I can tell you that I have had spontaneous communications where I have been shown deities. I am not religious at all and was ignorant of many faiths growing up, but through mediumship I have bumped up against Indian gods, Mayan gods, Egyptian gods, angelic contact, even Jesus. It forced me to study ancient scriptures each time it happened because I was ignorant of these deities before being shown them. It makes me believe that these archetypes hold great power even in spirit and it does not surprise me that people report seeing them in NDEs. I believe it’s what they represent that counts. We will be shown what we can understand and feel comfortable with.

Thank you for listening. I’d go along with that interpretation too :) Thank you for expanding on this. I’m not sure I am comfort with hierarchy at all in spirit. We all play our part in the great tapestry of life and none of us are more or less important. Variety is the spice of life.

Hi Claire. I have been exposed to 'mediation' rather than 'mediumship'. This may be a matter of terminology, but maybe not - more a case of the resident personality moving to one side and letting the incoming agent have a free reign, once the ability to control the voice mechanism has been attained. In my case the incoming agent was a sophisticated persona I spoke with over a number of years.

The idea of hierarchy is part of a tradition of thought that argues that the more 'spiritually refined' are, by virtue of their attainment, acknowledged - as opposed to our common sense of the word that ranks by attributes other than inherent merit. The hierarchy we see in our world rightly discredits the notion of hierarchy as an implicit reality - if what we experience is evidence of the idea. Social hierarchy that we experience makes the notion of hierarchy as a valid form of ranking ridiculous. Real meritocracies don't exist on Earth. But beyond?

With regards to Earth being a school, I’m uncertain on this one. I absolutely believe we come here to experience a physical life and to learn from it, but spirit beings are learning all the time in The spirit dimensions too, so it can’t be the Earth is purely a school to experience suffering. I don’t buy into that. Most spiritual masters teach that heaven is on Earth if we wish it. I’ve also experienced spirit beings who was still troubled in the spirit world. Therefore the whole earth is a school thing doesn’t seem to make sense to me. I think life is a process of experience and evolution at all levels.

'The Unobstructed Universe' is a book by Stewart Edward White, and American author. It was published in 1940. The book is centred on a communication by a dead person [Betty] with the author and friends. Betty says that reality is consciousness in evolution. So yes, your last sentence seems to nail the matter exactly.

Back