Climate Change podcast discussion

I see steve001 posted in the recent thread about the Climate Change episode, and was told not to post again there. I had been wondering whether those of us who don't believe in the paranormal would be allowed to post in that one, since it's unrelated to the paranormal, but I got my answer through steve001. So I thought I would start a thread over here.

I was surprised that Alex so thoroughly bought into the idea that the "Climategate" emails from East Anglia showed some kind of scandalous misbehavior on the part of the scientists. The only thing scandalous about that was that the people who hacked/leaked the private emails of others were not punished. The content of the emails showed no wrongdoing.

Also, was Alex really saying that he buys into the Cold Fusion stuff? I would have thought that the only people left who think there's anything to that would be the folks who completely unable to function. He mentioned it a couple of times, and I was unsure about his opinion of it.

As for cold fusion, that's an area where there is still ongoing and active research, so I think it's a little premature to read out its obituary notice at this stage.

Cold fusion is an active area of research, as in "it sure would be nice if we found a way to get fusion energy at a reasonable temperature and pressure!"

We have clearly not found that way, and there's no path that's the least bit promising. So what was Alex trying to say?

I see steve001 posted in the recent thread about the Climate Change episode, and was told not to post again there. I had been wondering whether those of us who don't believe in the paranormal would be allowed to post in that one, since it's unrelated to the paranormal, but I got my answer through steve001. So I thought I would start a thread over here.

You have to wonder about the level of censorship in the Climate Change thread when climate deniers are allowed to insult other posters' honest inquiries, and critics such as Steve001 are not even allowed to post. Let them talk to the crickets.

It's a pleasure to be of service:).
It is funny that as long as you believe in the PSI hypothesis you can post, nada if you don't.

It's a pleasure to be of service:).
It is funny that as long as you believe in the PSI hypothesis you can post, nada if you don't.

Try as I might, I don't see what Psi has to do with climate change.
(Other than the fact that the debate amounts to a lot of people disagreeing with each other - with varying degrees of politeness).

Cold fusion is an active area of research, as in "The ECAT 1MW plant is now available on the market".
http://ecat.com/ecat-products/ecat-1-mw
I'm not sure if you're being serious about that link or not, but in case you are serious, you need to be less gullible.

Order one of those units and let me know when you get it producing more energy than any chemical reactions would account for.

The Internet has no shortage of free-energy scams, and this is just one of a long line of examples.

Cold fusion is an active area of research, as in "The ECAT 1MW plant is now available on the market".
http://ecat.com/ecat-products/ecat-1-mw

According to ECAT World ( http://www.e-catworld.com/2013/11/on-the-1-mw-plant-page-at-ecat-com/ ) this is old - the page has been on Rossi's ECAT website for over a year now, and no one yet outside Rossi's inner circle has been able to purchase one of the units. If they really worked and were really available, private and military customers would have been lined up around the block and purchased hundreds by now. It looks like just more media hype and phony baloney.

Try as I might, I don't see what Psi has to do with climate change.
(Other than the fact that the debate amounts to a lot of people disagreeing with each other - with varying degrees of politeness).
Hmm... I read it as a novel, if somewhat contrived, way of ignoring climate change.

Edit: Having just re-read that, it sounds dismissive. I enjoyed the podcast, and mostly ignore climate change issues myself....

Last edited:
According to ECAT World ( http://www.e-catworld.com/2013/11/on-the-1-mw-plant-page-at-ecat-com/ ) this is old - the page has been on Rossi's ECAT website for over a year now, and no one yet outside Rossi's inner circle has been able to purchase one of the units. If they really worked and were really available, private and military customers would have been lined up around the block and purchased hundreds by now. It looks like just more media hype and phony baloney.
Who knows - I certainly don't. But I imagine there has to be sufficiently broad customer commitment in order to commence production. But if you or I were potential customers, would we want to be the first? Given the lack of previous experience, the issues may be more down to economics and psychology rather than the science or technology.

"The ECAT 1MW plant is now available on the market".
No it's not, you can get on a three month waiting list, but you still can not get an E-cat.
we discussed this at length in the old forum, i C&Pted a post i wrote about that :

This thread was posted about five times "three months" ago
Italian Cold Fusion device to be sold to public in 3 months
Then there was this one
LENR Confirmed by Mainstream Scientists
And, of course, this one
NASA confirms LENR (Cold Fusion). Will JREF offer $1 million prize challenge?
Also, not forgetting, this one
Transition to Cold Fusion "Will be hell" for US & Europe?

Has anything changed since all of these?

Seems the answer is "no"

interestingly these "three months" will be turned into three years somewhere in february.
still think it is a scam.

Anyone want to bet on this?

I suspect Red understands the situation perfectly, and was commenting on the dimwittedness of having a podcast forum where some listeners are unable to comment on the podcast episode.

It's for the benefit of Red, malf, who apparently is new and wondering what's going on.

If he really was wondering what was going on, your post and link may not have helped, and may have confused him more... Unless he can detect the apparent insecurities and frailties that lay behind that decision.

I was surprised that Alex so thoroughly bought into the idea that the "Climategate" emails from East Anglia showed some kind of scandalous misbehavior on the part of the scientists. The only thing scandalous about that was that the people who hacked/leaked the private emails of others were not punished. The content of the emails showed no wrongdoing.

Also, was Alex really saying that he buys into the Cold Fusion stuff? I would have thought that the only people left who think there's anything to that would be the folks who completely unable to function. He mentioned it a couple of times, and I was unsure about his opinion of it.
Nobel laureate Brian Josephson supports it.

That's not much of an endorsement.

For one, the statements of his that I saw were from three or four years ago. If this thing is real, why are they not in every house by now?

Next, Nobel laureates have developed a reputation for going off into the weeds when they wander out of their fields of expertise.

Thirdly, Brian Josephson in particular has already shown himself to have bought into other silly ideas. As a matter of fact, Pauling, Shockley, and Josephson are three of the prominent ones that come to mind when you talk about Nobel laureates who have been downright hard-headedly wrong outside of their fields.

I'm not saying that cold fusion is theoretically impossible, I'm saying that we haven't seen it yet. However the field is full of cranks and charlatans. If someone points out one more device that seems to have the same characteristics as any in a long line of scams, then I'm going to think this is another scam until we have good data to show otherwise. And there is no good data at this time.

I have no Opinion about Cold Fusion as its not my expertise but Josephson has shown himself to be clued up in areas which are my expertise. Just thought I would put it forward.....

A well know poster said this on the other anti climate change thread:
After all, if we can be open-minded enough to consider the evidence for psi, can't we do the same with data that disputes CAGW? Or are we one-trick ponies that decide when we'll pay attention to the data and when we will ignore it?
Ironically, it seems the very same people whom are so open minded to any idea supporting their prejudices aren't so open minded to ideas contrary. Are they one trick ponies? It certainly seems so.

Back