Co-incidence or ESP?

I wondered whether "logical deduction" might have been a more apt description than coincidence. But still, unless you were in that woman's shoes, it's almost impossible to comment on what she felt and how meaningful it was. And perhaps we shouldn't even try to comment, not everything in life is a laboratory experiment.

Hi Psiclops,

I read the tagline for this article (on another website), and thought this seems interesting, and something I wouldn't be surprised by if true, really.

However, after reading the details behind the sensationalist headline, I was personally quite disappointed by it, even though I'm sure it meant a great deal & had a lot of meaning for the woman herself.

If it happened to me personally, I wouldn't attach any significance whatsoever to "guessing" the guy had her son's heart. It was at a organ donator conference (or whatever), she knew the guy's name was the same, he would have been around the same age, and perhaps numerous other subtler clues such as location, type of organ transplant etc etc which, I believe, would make almost ALL people at the very, very least CONSIDER that this was the person who got her son's heart, no? "Psychic" is simply not a word I would choose to describe it, personally.

On the other hand, the "meaningfullness" of her meeting this person by "co-incidence" (even if it was at a organ donators conference), I don't believe is something that we can judge or interpret. It was a unique experience for here alone. "Co-incidence" may just be the tool that "soul" (whatever or however we intrpret that) uses to impart meaning to our lives, how could we possibly know otherwise?

Regarding "coincidence", the word is sometimes used in somewhat of a debunking context. However personally I regard it as a neutral term, there may be both meaningful and meaningless instances.

Back