Coding for Kids

malf

I frequently hear educators and business leaders encouraging kids to get into computer coding, yet schools (where I live) appear to be delivering very little content at all.

I sense there is some expertise in this area on this forum, so I'm asking the question: How to we introduce kids to coding in an interesting and useful way?

(Perhaps there are different answers for Under 10s and over 10s?)

Thinking back to when I was a kid (10ish, self taught), what got me in to coding was games and the ability to make my homework easier (keeping in mind that this was (ahem) quite a while ago - before PCs and video games, but after punch cards).

Recently, my nephew took some summer camps on app design which he was very excited about. When I pressed him about it afterwards, it wasn't coding per se. It was using a program to select from predetermined choices as to the form the app (a game) would eventually take. But...he was excited about his contributions to the end product, so I think that he would have found it interesting and relevant to go back one step in the process and learn about some of the programming.

Linda

I frequently hear educators and business leaders encouraging kids to get into computer coding, yet schools (where I live) appear to be delivering very little content at all.

I sense there is some expertise in this area on this forum, so I'm asking the question: How to we introduce kids to coding in an interesting and useful way?

My kids started with Scratch - an excellent (and free) educational intro into programming from MIT for kids between 8 and 16 yrs.

https://scratch.mit.edu/

If a kid plays Minecraft, and it seems like most of them do these days, then there are a lot of coding oppurtunities. My kid plays, but he is too young for coding, but I have read about how many kids branch into coding to mod Minecraft. Google minecraft code modding.

If I had a kid (and I thought he was worth a damn) and I wanted to engender in him a productive hobby... Seriously, you should consider something like this, malf. It's got the hands-on aspect as well, which I'd imagine would be more enjoyable for a little person--

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoStarterKit

There are many books and software for doing that. Like all things it's most effective when one uses a method that taps into some of the kid(s) interest. The good thing is that there's an approach for just about any interest.

Last edited:
That's not coding per se. More like basic electronics. Good for the type of kid who's curious about the innards of a computer. Think a young Miles O'Brien.

This is more of a coding focused approach: https://www.tynker.com/courses/

One thing I've checked out that I like is Scratch: https://scratch.mit.edu/about/
Building hardware components with the Arduino or Raspberry Pi usually does require some coding. You need to instruct the microprocessor. Obviously it can be really simple if you are just cycling a LED. But if you are doing something complex then the coding is much more involved.

Building hardware components with the Arduino or Raspberry Pi usually does require some coding.

Sheesh. Is there some reason you ignored the"per se"? If no coding was involved it wouldn't have been posted. My point remains. Not everyone enjoys putting components together so IMO it's best for kids who have a strong interest in tinkering.

You clearly know nothing about open source hardware.
Lol. So you have no point and resort to posting some silly comment that has nothing to do with what I stated. I guess you really hate to be off the mark.

To sum up - coding is coding. Some kids are interested in tinkering and a hardware inclusive approach would be great for them. Other kids have no interest in tinkering and a software-only approach would be more suitable. And since the coding is the relevant part here and is part of both approaches, if one has to cater to a group the software-only approach makes more sense . What about that do you find strange, inaccurate or difficult to understand?

Lol. So you have no point and resort to posting some silly comment that has nothing to do with what I stated. I guess you really hate to be off the mark.

To sum up - coding is coding. Some kids are interested in tinkering and a hardware inclusive approach would be great for them. Other kids have no interest in tinkering and a software-only approach would be more suitable. And since the coding is the relevant part here and is part of both approaches, if one has to cater to a group the software-only approach makes more sense . What about that do you find strange, inaccurate or difficult to understand?
You just bring out the asshole in me I guess because you are a dick every time you fucking post.

Back