COLLECTIVE CONSCIOUSNESS APP to be released

Collective Consciousness is a mobile phone app to be released in 2014. It utilizes a totally new kind of technology that will let you explore how your mind might directly interact with the world around you. Users can participate in a large-scale experiment into the concept of "collective consciousness," to help answer one of the biggest questions humanity has ever asked: are we all connected?Our IndieGoGo campaign will launch in January 2014, and we plan to make the app available in the spring. Follow us on Facebook or Twitter for updates.

A little background

The app is based on several decades of laboratory investigations into the relationship between consciousness and the physical world, which is generally called "mind-matter interaction." In the simplest sense, labs have produced good evidence that conscious intention or attention can influence random physical systems, such as random number generators. Although not predicted or explained by most scientific theories, these effects are nonetheless statistically significant and generally repeatable. Check out our Consciousness Research section for more about that.The implication is that there's some deep connection between the mind and physical reality. In principle, this suggests that individual minds may be able to "connect" to other minds as well, perhaps through a small but measurable mutual influence on the physical world. Very few studies have looked into the question of collective consciousness. This is partly due to the historical inability to test for such things. But now, with the popularity of smartphones, we can actually start to formulate some specific hypotheses related to the concept, and test them in well-defined experiments.For example, does the shared practice of group meditation result in some influence on the physical environment, in a way that can be measured by this app? If so, are the effects different for groups versus individual meditators? What would that suggest about the efficacy of meditation?This project is a tiny step in the search for deeper answers about what consciousness is, and our relationship with ourselves, each other, and the world. It's an extremely difficult and challenging search—one that will require us to separate good evidence from faulty, to navigate insightful skepticism from reactionary debunking. But we believe in the value of asking these big questions. And so do millions of others!

People

Adam M. Curry- founder
Dean Radin, PhD- lead scientist at the Institute of Noetic Sciences
Roger Nelson, PhD- founder of the Global Consciousness Project
Larry Dossey, MD- author and past alternative medicine advisor to the NIH
Robert Jahn, PhD- Dean Emeritus, Princeton University School of Engineering
Brenda Dunne- ICRL President and former PEAR lab manager
Michael Mazzola- creative advisor

The app

These are some preliminary features we're building into the app. They model the experimental designs of PEAR, IONS, and the GCP, as well as technology we built at Psyleron in 2010.

ME SCREEN
The Me screen is a live graph of the what the random number generator (RNG) on your phone is doing. Research has shown that RNG output can correlate to aspects of consciousness (such as intention, attention, moments of heightened emotion, etc). So in other words, this can let you track how your consciousness might be affecting your environment in real time. This raw data will be uploaded periodically to our servers, as part of the collective consciousness research experiment.

COLLECTIVE SCREEN
The Collective screen lets you explore local and regional "consciousness spikes," on a scalable map. (The spikes are statistical aberrations in aggregate data collected from users around the world.) This gives you a live visual picture of what "collective consciousness" might be doing at that moment.

http://m.facebook.com/l.php?u=http://www.consciousness-app.com/&h=CAQGn3G3A&s=1&enc=AZMtxRtzrI-ZfUuPIHLcq9ak5ROgNG7PYEK_Z2V8l4KeKU2xMVzY3cv1TF2L9iVr9gI

Last edited:
Thanks for posting: interesting project. I have to admit it's not entirely clear to me how this is supposed to work. Given that we don't really know how consciousness is supposed to alter the randomness of the number generators, I am not sure how they can find a causal link between the deviations and our minds, especially in a "localized form".

I guess the main issue is how to blind an experiment. If a group of people does a focused meditation and a significant deviation is found, how do they establish the causal link? Do they monitor at different ranges of distance to see if the phenomenon is detected at decreasing levels as one moves away from the "epicentre"?

I don't remember exactly the details of the global consciousness project right now. Did they find that deviation during the events of 9/11 was stronger in random generators that were physically closer to New York? (AFAIK I don't recall having read that)

Given the evidence for consciousness to be non-local, it seems pretty difficult to shield an experiment from possible strong non-local conscious events.

I am very curious to see how this will work out.

Thanks for posting: interesting project. I have to admit it's not entirely clear to me how this is supposed to work. Given that we don't really know how consciousness is supposed to alter the randomness of the number generators, I am not sure how they can find a causal link between the deviations and our minds, especially in a "localized form".

I guess the main issue is how to blind an experiment. If a group of people does a focused meditation and a significant deviation is found, how do they establish the causal link? Do they monitor at different ranges of distance to see if the phenomenon is detected at decreasing levels as one moves away from the "epicentre"?

I don't remember exactly the details of the global consciousness project right now. Did they find that deviation during the events of 9/11 was stronger in random generators that were physically closer to New York? (AFAIK I don't recall having read that)

Given the evidence for consciousness to be non-local, it seems pretty difficult to shield an experiment from possible strong non-local conscious events.

I am very curious to see how this will work out.
Interesting questions Bucky and I have no answers. I'm sure the presumption is that consciousness is non local but we will have to see how its fleshed out. There is a LinkedIn connection offered for the designer of the software so you could contact him and ask those questions. I would be interested...

My "big event" happened when our nation was intensely focused on the opening night of the rugby world cup in NZ - a national obsession. In fact the timing was almost exact to when people would have been turning on their TVs to tune in. So I wonder if the devices can pick up regional events and look at correlations...dunno. No doubt we will find out more.

I saw an early version of this app at SSE and was impressed. Adam and his advisors certainly have the credentials (and patent) to pull this off. I'm really looking forward to it.