Community Suggestion Box

tried, but xenforo really sucks w/ emojis/smileys.

try [win] + . if yr on windows
The Paracast and Alien Hub also use XenForo, and they have all kinds of emojis. I actually prefer XenForo to the others. It's one of the reasons I tend to post here rather than over on ATS or a couple of others.

1659179576209.png

Last edited:
yeah, i think i did find how to add them with Xenforo... it was a time sync, but kinda fun.

Let me know if you know how these guys did it... and how to size the Emojis. I'm trying to avoid JavaScript in bbcode :)

Hello Alex and Skeptiko world!
A few times on recent shows you've had deep dives / 'level 3' conversations, which are great, yet they're always tagged with 'level 1~2' caveats during the show to ease some folks in ("let's go back for some listeners and just explain the basics of 'X").
Sometimes though I notice Alex is just saying 'sorry, if you're lost go and read~check out ref "X" to get up to speed' etc; why such mixing and messing?

I thought to suggest that you could start putting out shows that are clearly marked 'L3' conversations and even add some warning and background reading links for anyone a bit lost with the conversation.

I'm just being totally selfish here, and the Sk. forum probably is going to have a sKewed view on this (maybe you have some independent listener data on this), but I think we're at the stage now where L3+ conversations without any hand holding are needed.
Often I come to a new subject and encounter things I'm not familiar with, so I go off and check it out a little on my own time, I hate to think I'm bringing the group down to my level just to keep me feeling comfortable! And with this show, it's even easier because you just go back through the episode archive!!

I think you'd get a lot more out of the guests that way, the short time we have on the episodes can be more fruitful and hopefully it inspires any newbies to get a sense of how far the topic goes.
For me at least, when one is pushed to check into something myself and come to find conclusions, they tend to stick rather than a talking head saying 'it is so'.

It's how I came to the position on why 'materialism is dead', folks like yourself and on Rune Soup, AEWCH podcasts etc saying the same thing but never holding my hand to really explain why, it lead me off on a road that has me arrived at ..well, here :)

Thanks and apologies if this was posted elsewhere (ironically? I didn't find it lol;) !

Hello Alex and Skeptiko world!
A few times on recent shows you've had deep dives / 'level 3' conversations, which are great, yet they're always tagged with 'level 1~2' caveats during the show to ease some folks in ("let's go back for some listeners and just explain the basics of 'X").
Sometimes though I notice Alex is just saying 'sorry, if you're lost go and read~check out ref "X" to get up to speed' etc; why such mixing and messing?

I thought to suggest that you could start putting out shows that are clearly marked 'L3' conversations and even add some warning and background reading links for anyone a bit lost with the conversation.

I'm just being totally selfish here, and the Sk. forum probably is going to have a sKewed view on this (maybe you have some independent listener data on this), but I think we're at the stage now where L3+ conversations without any hand holding are needed.
Often I come to a new subject and encounter things I'm not familiar with, so I go off and check it out a little on my own time, I hate to think I'm bringing the group down to my level just to keep me feeling comfortable! And with this show, it's even easier because you just go back through the episode archive!!

I think you'd get a lot more out of the guests that way, the short time we have on the episodes can be more fruitful and hopefully it inspires any newbies to get a sense of how far the topic goes.
For me at least, when one is pushed to check into something myself and come to find conclusions, they tend to stick rather than a talking head saying 'it is so'.

It's how I came to the position on why 'materialism is dead', folks like yourself and on Rune Soup, AEWCH podcasts etc saying the same thing but never holding my hand to really explain why, it lead me off on a road that has me arrived at ..well, here :)

Thanks and apologies if this was posted elsewhere (ironically? I didn't find it lol;) !
Thanks for this post. I definitely get your point. I imagine myself as a Skeptiko listener and I think it would have been hard for me to sort some of this stuff out a few years ago.

I'm also glad you're here in the Skeptiko forum because this is what I always imagined would be the solve for this problem. so, I welcome any questions you have about previous episodes and your desire for more information about the guest / topic. just post something in the show thread... and it doesn't matter if it's two or three years old I'll still try get to it... if I don't just send me an email.

Hope this helps.

The 10 principles discussed in his book The Light After Death are:
1. Be authentic - Let go of your different personas you take on in different situations. Learn to accept your real self, you won't believe anyone else can love you if you don't love yourself.
2. The purpose of life (is to learn and develop).
3. Love everyone
4. Listen to your inner voice
5. Use technology responsibly (don't use it it drag yourself into negativity or negative places)
6. Release prejudice
7. The power of creation (Fill your mind with positive thoughts because you create what you think of. If you want to fix something, think of what you want to replace it with.)
8. Avoid negative influences (The news media and political parties are a big source of negativity.)
9. The purpose of evil - is to strengthen our spirit (like weights strengthen our muscles)
10. We are all one

Last edited:

The 10 principles discussed in his book The Light After Death are:
1. Be authentic - Let go of your different personas you take on in different situations. Learn to accept your real self, you won't believe anyone else can love you if you don't love yourself.
2. The purpose of life (is to learn and develop).
3. Love everyone
4. Listen to your inner voice
5. Use technology responsibly (don't use it it drag yourself into negativity or negative places)
6. Release prejudice
7. The power of creation (Fill your mind with positive thoughts because you create what you think of. If you want to fix something, think of what you want to replace it with.)
8. Avoid negative influences (The news media and political parties are a big source of negativity.)
9. The purpose of evil - is to strengthen our spirit (like weights strengthen our muscles)
10. We are all one

I think it's interesting that there is a connection between this type of Spiritualist philosophy and Buddhist philosophy. The purpose of Buddhist meditation and mindfulness practices is to end personal suffering. The original word, "dukkha" that gets translated into "suffering" can also means stress or unsatisfactoriness. Ultimately, for practical purposes, I think dukkha is the same negativity of "low vibrations". Letting go of attachments and aversions which ends suffering according to Buddhism is the same as letting go of negativity or raising one's vibrations.

Spiritualism tells us to raise our vibrations and avoid negative influences, Buddhist meditation and mindfulness practices tell us how to do that. In Buddhist philosophy, ending suffering also ends rebirth which is similar to the Spiritualist goal of developing the soul to move beyond incarnations on earth.

The method I've found that is most effective in letting go of negativity (letting go of unpleasant emotions) involves relaxing meditation exercises:

https://ncu9nc.blogspot.com/2020/08/preparing-for-meditation-with.html

Last edited:
headshots has especially dedicated a quantified part of my life and in my MO. On the weekends someone could locate me possessing a thirty five milimeter huge camera in my posession snapping headshots of my friends and family gatherings, and the green scenery making up the smallish ocean town in the Maryland Bay where my sister and I through elementary school and college. The thing my childhood friend taught me morphed into a dedicated money making hobby that I gave up everything else for, studying newspaper portraiture and outdoor photography in the latter part of my life. Afterwards, I started paving a important advertising career in which beautiful influences and character building energies had already started to take root and shine out within my wedding photo jobs. Now I am forever a full-time in demand and award winning Destination Headshot popular photographer and service all Seattle as well as all of Washington. I am also a sought out Washington state business Photographer. Please skip over to my blog to discover some more about my work: [color=#000_url]Barn at Willow Brook Wedding[/color]

Back