Dean Radin's Bizarre Story

I like the idea of people dreaming each other, reminds me of Borge's The Circular Ruins.

The purpose which guided him was not impossible, though supernatural. He wanted to dream a man; he wanted to dream him in minute entirety and impose him on reality. This magic project had exhausted the entire expanse of his mind; if someone had asked him his name or to relate some event of his former life, he would not have been able to give an answer. This uninhabited, ruined temple suited him, for it is contained a minimum of visible world; the proximity of the workmen also suited him, for they took it upon themselves to provide for his frugal needs. The rice and fruit they brought him were nourishment enough for his body, which was consecrated to the sole task of sleeping and dreaming.

At first, his dreams were chaotic; then in a short while they became dialectic in nature. The stranger dreamed that he was in the center of a circular amphitheater which was more or less the burnt temple; clouds of taciturn students filled the tiers of seats; the faces of the farthest ones hung at a distance of many centuries and as high as the stars, but their features were completely precise. The man lectured his pupils on anatomy, cosmography, and magic: the faces listened anxiously and tried to answer understandingly, as if they guessed the importance of that examination which would redeem one of them from his condition of empty illusion and interpolate him into the real world. Asleep or awake, the man thought over the answers of his phantoms, did not allow himself to be deceived by imposters, and in certain perplexities he sensed a growing intelligence. He was seeking a soul worthy of participating in the universe.

I like the idea of people dreaming each other, reminds me of Borge's The Circular Ruins.

I dunno Sci. I hear stories like Dean's, and I'm left feeling as if a new idea is moving towards it's existence, or we're moving towards the new idea. Probably the same, just different perspectives. And some of us are picking up different bits and bobs of what is to come, and trying to understand them, and see how they might fit together.

I dunno Sci. I hear stories like Dean's, and I'm left feeling as if a new idea is moving towards it's existence, or we're moving towards the new idea. Probably the same, just different perspectives. And some of us are picking up different bits and bobs of what is to come, and trying to understand them, and see how they might fit together.

Oh, I wasn't trying to say Dean is just writing fiction - I actually think Borges used his fiction to muse about a lot of the philosophical meat we chew on around here.

I actually agree with you. I think our notions of time and space are very naive.

I'm not sure Radin does his reputation as a serious researcher any favours with this sort of thing. Even the music underneath seems manipulative... :) It leaves him open to accusations of having too much skin in the game.

I'm not sure Radin does his reputation as a serious researcher any favours with this sort of thing. Even the music underneath seems manipulative... :) It leaves him open to accusations of having too much skin in the game.

It's just a story, and he himself said throughout the video that it could be nothing, just coincidence, I don't know what it was.

Who the hell cares? Do you think he's telling a true story or making it up to "manipulate" non-believers? The guy's been at this long enough to have earned the right to form an opinion, and to feel free to share his own personal and interesting anecdotes.

Cheers,
Bill

Back