Death bed visions

I've had a few major experiences, although rare, that have made me question whether or not there is life after death.

One was my father's "visitation" by a man who my father told me would stand at the foot of his bed and ask my dad to 'go with him.' My dad was recovering from pneumonia at home after a hospital stay of about five days. He was doing well and we thought he was on the mend when he started talking about seeing this man.

I was in the room a couple of times when the man was apparently with us. My dad was very weak and bed-ridden, so I had to bring him his meals in his room. The first time he told me about the man and said he was right at the foot of the bed, I asked "what does he look like?" My dad said, "he's standing right there." Like, hello, are you blind? I just said yes, I see him. I didn't want to frighten my dad, even though I wanted to get more information on who or what he was seeing. He told me that the man kept asking him to go with him, and he (my dad) didn't know what to do. He asked me what he should do, and I was at a loss. I said it was up to him, but that if he didn't really want to go he didn't have to.

The second time he saw him while I was in the room, he told me he was showing him a beautiful city. He had a look of awe on his face and was looking to the right of the bed, and asked me to look at it too but all I saw was the wall and closet. He kept saying how beautiful it was, and looked positively dazzled by it.

My dad then had a relapse and had to be hospitalized again with pneumonia. He seemed to recover a second time, then had another relapse, and his doctor said he was so weak that he most likely wouldn't survive this time. He had him on a very low dose of morphine just to keep him comfortable, but things weren't looking good.

I had been living with my parents but moved out by the second bout with pneumonia and was going to school, so I wasn't caring for my dad regularly like I had before. His last days he was really foggy and not very communicative, so I have no idea if he was still getting these visitations.

He died four days after Father's Day.

This incident really shook me to the core. It was incredibly beautiful and comforting to know that my father wasn't afraid in his last days. You hear about these things second-hand occasionally, but when it happens to you it is really mind-blowing, to say the least.

So I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience...?

Selina

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I've no first-hand experience of such things, however, it sounds very much like the experiences described by Dr Peter Fenwick. For example he talks about people receiving visitations in the period leading up to their death, and describing it in the language of going on a journey. It would certainly appear from Dr Fenwick's work that these experiences are common.

Here's a video, it is quite long but I do think it well worth watching if you haven't already seen it:

I've had a few major experiences, although rare, that have made me question whether or not there is life after death.

One was my father's "visitation" by a man who my father told me would stand at the foot of his bed and ask my dad to 'go with him.' My dad was recovering from pneumonia at home after a hospital stay of about five days. He was doing well and we thought he was on the mend when he started talking about seeing this man.

I was in the room a couple of times when the man was apparently with us. My dad was very weak and bed-ridden, so I had to bring him his meals in his room. The first time he told me about the man and said he was right at the foot of the bed, I asked "what does he look like?" My dad said, "he's standing right there." Like, hello, are you blind? I just said yes, I see him. I didn't want to frighten my dad, even though I wanted to get more information on who or what he was seeing. He told me that the man kept asking him to go with him, and he (my dad) didn't know what to do. He asked me what he should do, and I was at a loss. I said it was up to him, but that if he didn't really want to go he didn't have to.

The second time he saw him while I was in the room, he told me he was showing him a beautiful city. He had a look of awe on his face and was looking to the right of the bed, and asked me to look at it too but all I saw was the wall and closet. He kept saying how beautiful it was, and looked positively dazzled by it.

My dad then had a relapse and had to be hospitalized again with pneumonia. He seemed to recover a second time, then had another relapse, and his doctor said he was so weak that he most likely wouldn't survive this time. He had him on a very low dose of morphine just to keep him comfortable, but things weren't looking good.

I had been living with my parents but moved out by the second bout with pneumonia and was going to school, so I wasn't caring for my dad regularly like I had before. His last days he was really foggy and not very communicative, so I have no idea if he was still getting these visitations.

This incident really shook me to the core. It was incredibly beautiful and comforting to know that my father wasn't afraid in his last days. You hear about these things second-hand occasionally, but when it happens to you it is really mind-blowing, to say the least.

Selina
Fenwicks book The Art of Dying is good, I bought it for both of my elderly parents (divorced), they both enjoyed it. And I thought it was a comforting way of raising the subject of their death.

No first hand experience, but some from my mother, my ex, and a colleague at work who's wife works in a care home.

Fascinating experiences...

Selina
My maternal grandmother passed some years ago. After she had already passed my mom and her sister were in her room at the nursing home. They lit a candle for her were saying a prayer for her. At that moment the candle went out. No breeze or anything. It's a very small thing but was of great importance to them.

My medium friend told me this account of her father's deathbed experiences, I am sure it is factual because several family witnesses confirmed the events, and the medium is truthful and honest.

"Jo’s father had suffered from leukemia, and had showed much courage throughout his illness. The family found it an agony to watch him suffer so much, unable to take his pain away from him. Her father was an atheist, he absolutely refused to accept there was any form of afterlife, believing that once you’re dead, you’re dead, that’s it, black hole, absolute nothing. That was OK for Jo. She knew differently!

As her father lay unconscious in his last few days, she did begin to worry that his rejection of any belief would cause him difficulty. All sorts of things went through her mind, even thinking, at one point, that he might refuse to go where he had to go, rejecting a loved one who was there to collect him. Jo absolutely knew of the afterlife, so why these thoughts went through her head, she had no idea. However, their family was to receive ultimate proof that her worries were unfounded.

Two days before her father passed, at about 1am in the morning, Jo was called to her father’s bedside. Her younger sister and two of her brothers, along with her mother, were there. Her father had suffered a stroke, and after a while her mother retired to bed, with a promise that she would be awakened if there was any change with Dad.
They had been quietly sitting along the length of the bed for about 30 minutes, none of them saying a word to each other, when to Jo’s left, a lady’s voice called out, “'Ray”. Jo’s sister looked at Jo in total surprise, and said, “ I have just heard a woman”. Jo said, “ Yes, I did too”.

A brother, who was sat between them, acknowledged her also, then the voice came again, this time from Jo’s right. She called his name again. The youngest brother, who was sitting near Dad’s feet, went a horrid colour of grey. He was muttering under his breath, that although he had some belief in an afterlife, he really didn’t want to experience anything and would they please stop!

Again the voice came, from in front of them. Jo’s sister asked if she could see the woman. At first she couldn’t, but then the woman appeared to her floating above her Dad, her face very close to his. Jo knew who it was instantly, although she appeared a lot younger than she had previously seen her on the earth plane. It was his mother. A moment later she called to her son again, this time using his full name, “'Raymond'”, but also asked him to go with her. They were all transfixed. The feeling of love in the room was intoxicating. Their Dad, who had been unconscious for over 24 hours at this point, slowly opened his eyes, and after a few seconds his eyes widened almost in astonishment, before he slowly closed them again.
His mother was not going to be defeated. She moved to his side, and started calling him again, speaking into his right ear. Six times in all she spoke, clearly audible to all in the room. Jo’s older brother encouraged her father to go with her, reassuring him it was OK to leave.

Jo had to return home the following day, to continue preparations for her daughter’s wedding, which was only four days away. During the early hours of the following morning, her mother, and her two youngest sisters, were at his bedside. Dad opened his eyes when Mum was gently kissing his forehead. He uttered two words to her, “Crossing over”, before smiling, and taking his last breath. Jo believed that he wanted her Mum to know, that he knew there was an afterlife, after all."

Thank you everyone for your responses and links and thank you Lightlover and BotchCat for sharing your experiences.

A few years before my dad died, I had an uncle who died in the ICU after getting a bad infection. His daughter was with him and before he died he said he saw his mom sitting in one of the chairs in his room and she was smiling at him. (His mom died when he was a little boy.)

I never really shared my dad's story, only my immediate family knew about it. I decided to share it with extended family members and was surprised to find out they had similar experiences. A cousin on my dad's side told me that both her dad and her aunt had death bed visions before they died. And a cousin on my mom's side told me that an uncle who had a heart attack and survived said he went to a wonderful, peaceful place during his heart attack and that he was no longer afraid of dying.

It's important to not be afraid to share these stories because you find out that it's really not as rare or unusual as you might think.

Selina