Do they really read each other's stuff?

Sorry, but I'd take the authority of a scientist over experiencers. The problem with experience is that it is very open to confabulation. You can never be 100 percent certain that you are accurately recalling said experience.

This is a problem for me. Scientists are human with the same cognitive ability and problems of non-scientists. Their own prejudices can easily play a role in their judgements, often they are unaware they are doing so.

This is a problem for me. Scientists are human with the same cognitive ability and problems of non-scientists. Their own prejudices can easily play a role in their judgements, often they are unaware they are doing so.

That I don't deny, hence some of the rather unjustified scathing attitude towards parapsychology research.

Does science trump your experiences too, or just those of others? You don't have to wait for validation from the laboratory. Just listen to people without being too autistic and use your head.

Sometimes people look to science for approval...it's like some twisted codependent relationship. I was beaten with the science cudgel in school for years...none of it ever seemed organic to me. I'm not saying it's without value, because that's not the case. I'm speaking of things that science often deflects or treats in a very unscientific way.

Does science trump your experiences too, or just those of others? You don't have to wait for validation from the laboratory. Just listen to people without being too autistic and use your head.
Absolutely trumps my experiences. For example, I have much less faith in my own memory than I used to. This is also due to a couple of experiences of learning that closely-held memories were wrong.

~~ Paul

That I don't deny, hence some of the rather unjustified scathing attitude towards parapsychology research.

People don't know about the good stuff because its tucked away in fringe journals. Every so often you end up with a Bem paper in a mainstream journal that gets torn apart, and you basically never hear about the MRI/EEG studies. Yet, the latter seem an order of magnitude more interesting.

I'd just say, don't admit to any progressive senility. It'll be used against you.
I had one particular incorrect memory for decades. It involves a woman at college getting her hair wrapped around the drive shaft of an IBM Selectric typewriter. When I verified the memory with another woman, I had everything right except for the actual woman. It was the one I was verifying it with, not the woman I remembered. Fairly good memory with one human substitution.

~~ Paul

I had one particular incorrect memory for decades. It involves a woman at college getting her hair wrapped around the drive shaft of an IBM Selectric typewriter. When I verified the memory with another woman, I had everything right except for the actual woman. It was the one I was verifying it with, not the woman I remembered. Fairly good memory with one human substitution.

~~ Paul
Unless she had misremembered...

Who are the smartest people one should be reading?
Experiencers with expertise like Eben Alexander or Joe McMoneagle, not scientists.

Psychiatrist and psychoanalist Carl Jung also had an NDE and believed it was a real phenomenon and that consciousness continues to have existence beyond space and time.
https://sites.google.com/site/chs4o8pt/eminent_researchers#researchers_jung

Neurosurgeon Eben Alexander, Psychiatrist and psychoanalist Carl Jung, and military remoteviewer Joe McMoneagle, all had NDEs and all have some qualification or expertise that gives authority to their opinion. They all thought NDEs are caused by out-of-the-body consciousness. Alexander and McMoneagle say the NDE is proof of the afterlife, Jung said that consciousness continues to have an existence beyond space and time.
http://ncu9nc.blogspot.com/2014/04/notable-near-death-experiencers-prove.html

Carl Jung seemed to have had a number of paranormal experiences in his life.

IIRC his mother claimed to see spirits as well?

Psychiatrist and psychoanalist Carl Jung also had an NDE and believed it was a real phenomenon and that consciousness continues to have existence beyond space and time.
https://sites.google.com/site/chs4o8pt/eminent_researchers#researchers_jung

Neurosurgeon Eben Alexander, Psychiatrist and psychoanalist Carl Jung, and military remoteviewer Joe McMoneagle, all had NDEs and all have some qualification or expertise that gives authority to their opinion. They all thought NDEs are caused by out-of-the-body consciousness. Alexander and McMoneagle say the NDE is proof of the afterlife, Jung said that consciousness continues to have an existence beyond space and time.
http://ncu9nc.blogspot.com/2014/04/notable-near-death-experiencers-prove.html

No you don't understand. It's all fraud and hallucination. If there is a veridical element it's misremembered or retrofitted. The very fact that the experiences are so 'real' simply underlines the fact that they are not real. By the power of Pythagoras' theorem and the average square root of a binomial sequence I declare them null and void. Now recite Ohm's law backwards and ask for forgiveness.

Back