Dogs Have ESP When They Poop and Pee

Kay

New
Well, "magnetism extra sensory something", apparently:

(H/T, Ig Nobel awards)

Full text!
http://www.frontiersinzoology.com/content/10/1/80

Several mammalian species spontaneously align their body axis with respect to the Earth’s magnetic field (MF) lines in diverse behavioral contexts.

Results
Dogs preferred to excrete with the body being aligned along the North–South axis under calm MF conditions.

If this is replicated, it will honestly be extremely cool.

Check out the pic from the full text!

http://www.frontiersinzoology.com/content/10/1/80/figure/F5

1742-9994-10-80-5.jpeg

Last edited:
I read this too awhile back. I don't recall any of my dogs orienting themselves like this. I'll have to observe them more closely.
Good to see you're still here, Kay.

Reactions: Kay
It boggles the mind why a dog feel the need to face north while taking a dump.
YxX6kYH.gif

Is there some form of mental relaxation in their brain when they align with a magnetic field, that eases the "delivery", or what?
Either way, it's interesting though.

Remember the theory/study about Inuits being able to find their way home in a total blizzard, just by "feeling" their way through it, "knowing" where north and south was. Not so sure if they looked into this any further, or if it was deemed false or inconclusive, or what? Someone else here maybe?

There was a lovely study on cows in the UK a few years ago. From memory, the cows were believed to prefer to orientate themselves in a certain north south alignment when lying down and digesting food IIRC. The mechanism the researchers thought the cows might use to do this, they believed might use the earths magnetic field.

To test this, they used high resolution satellite imagery, comparing cows orientation near national grid power lines, in comparison to those not near power lines.

They found a very strong effect. Cows near power lines orientated themselves in very random alignments, which indicated the power lines were affecting the mechanism which allowed the cows to orientate themselves.

There was a lovely study on cows in the UK a few years ago. From memory, the cows were believed to prefer to orientate themselves in a certain north south alignment when lying down and digesting food IIRC. The mechanism the researchers thought the cows might use to do this, they believed might use the earths magnetic field.

To test this, they used high resolution satellite imagery, comparing cows orientation near national grid power lines, in comparison to those not near power lines.

They found a very strong effect. Cows near power lines orientated themselves in very random alignments, which indicated the power lines were affecting the mechanism which allowed the cows to orientate themselves.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=101945271

Reactions: Kay
There is all kinds of weird stuff going on in the animal kingdom. Wasn't there a certain species/sort of dung-beetles, or caterpillars, who held track and navigated their way around, by observing the movement of the milky way?
I thought they were just following the smell of sh*t - but apparently not. They are supposedly astronomers instead.

Last edited:
There is all kinds of weird stuff going on in the animal kingdom. Wasn't there a certain species/sort of dung-beetles, or caterpillars, who held track and navigated their way around, by observing the movement of the milky way? I thought they were just followed the smell of sh*t - but apparently not. They are supposedly astronomers instead.
I think they use polarized light of the Milkyway.

There is all kinds of weird stuff going on in the animal kingdom. Wasn't there a certain species/sort of dung-beetles, or caterpillars, who held track and navigated their way around, by observing the movement of the milky way?
I thought they were just following the smell of sh*t - but apparently not. They are supposedly astronomers instead.

They where beetles indeed. Probably we know this right now because everyone thought the end of the story was just sh*t ( literaly), and nobody ever though of searching for a more interesting answer so far (http://newswatch.nationalgeographic...te-via-the-milky-way-an-animal-kingdom-first/). It has something to it, that a little insect follows the light of huge massess of highly pressured gas that probably burn out millions of years ago.

Much of feng shui deals with polar direction. Maybe dogs are more hooked into the qi energies than we are. Maybe that's why we're so fucked up, because we don't know feng shit. But, of course, some skeptics believe these things ought not be investigated. I bet they shit to the west.

Anyway, humans do not shit properly. The proper way to shit is to squat, not sit. The squatting posture compresses, squeezes (the colon) and forces the shit out of your butthole.

Another strange thing - with (many) dogs taking a shit - is that they look extremely focused and intense while doing it - like they were trying to solve a difficult math-problem, or something. And after they "delivered", they turn around and look equally amazed and intrigued of their "achievement" - like it was the first time they ever seen shit, and try to come to terms with how it could suddenly "appear" like that.

I'm not in the habit of watching different dogs taking a shit. But living in areas where many people have dogs, one is bound to run into the "situation" from time to time, while outside walking.

Well, I don't say that all dogs act like this - certainly not. But I've seen it enough times to see a pattern. Maybe it's just the particular feeble-minded dogs who acts like this, 'cause shit isn't really that interesting

Another strange thing - with (many) dogs taking a shit - is that they look extremely focused and intense while doing it - like they were trying to solve a difficult math-problem, or something. And after they "delivered", they turn around and look equally amazed and intrigued of their "achievement" - like it was the first time they ever seen shit, and try to come to terms with how it could suddenly "appear" like that.

I'm not in the habit of watching different dogs taking a shit. But living in areas where many people have dogs, one is bound to run into the "situation" from time to time, while outside walking.

Well, I don't say that all dogs act like this - certainly not. But I've seen it enough times to see a pattern. Maybe it's just the particular feeble-minded dogs who acts like this, 'cause shit isn't really that interesting
You're vulnerable when laying cable. Open to attack.

I really think dogs might have some senses we don't have. Just tonight (a couple of hours ago), my puppy, who is not skittish at all in general but is scared of thunderstorms, jumped into my lap shivering with fear. There was no storm at that time, but 5 minutes later the wind started blowing. 10 minutes later there was a storm with tornadoes and the sirens were going off. How did she know, or was it a goofy coincidence?

I also had a dog who was a "seizure dog" (I'm epileptic.) He would paw at me a few minutes before I'd have a seizure. I'd be like "Do you need to go out? Do you need food, water?" and go check those things, but he was insistent that it was something else wrong. Every. Time. I'd have a seizure within 5 minutes. Did he smell it? Or was it just a wild version of "confirmation bias"?

Back