Doubts about the moon landings

That's fine TES, you go with that. Like I said in my take I consider it as denial. Simple as that. You seem upset. That is a symptom of cognitive dissonance.

Cognitive dissonance refers to a situation involving 'conflicting attitudes, beliefs or behaviors'. I possess no such conflict. 100% of me concludes that this video series is a hustle...

...it is scientifically incompetent,

...it preys upon the ignorant, and the vulnerable,

and in doing so, at its heart it is malevolent in such intent. It does not bear the integrity of a true scientific discourse or simple disagreement.

Last edited:
I have analysed the footage.

There is no indication of any slow down at all over 36 oscillations.

All oscillations fall within the range of 31 to 38 frames.

It is not possible to cheat because counting short will extend the next oscillation and over counting will shorten the next oscillation. The errors are not cumulative.

It is not acting as a pendulum. It is subject to a external force. Validating my premise previously mentioned.

It is interesting how perception is altered depending on belief.

What should slow down the bag in a vacuum?

OK, so, let's examine that. Let's start with the pendulum (bag) being at the highest point of its arc. It has no momentum, only a certain amount (P1) of potential energy due to gravitation relative to the lowest point of its arc. Now, it begins swinging, converting - due to the force of gravity - that potential energy into kinetic energy, and, as it reaches the lowest point of its arc, it attains its maximum amount (K) of kinetic energy. It then moves against the force of gravity, and its kinetic energy is converted again into potential energy, reaching a maximum amount (P2) at the highest point of its arc on the other side.

Note well: P1 = K = P2.

The total energy of the system is constant. In the absence of any other forces which actually deprive it of energy (air resistance; friction, to which Bart alludes), all that is happening is an endless (perpetual) transfer of potential energy into kinetic energy and then back into potential energy. Gravity is not having any effect on the energy in the system, only on the proportion in which that energy is split between potential and kinetic.

No, gravity does not slow a pendulum down, it is the motor of the pendulum.

An ideal pendulum would go on for ever. A number of loss factors make an ideal pendulum impossible, of course. What do you think they are?

So a pendulum in a vacuum goes forever. Hmmm... interesting :)

OK, so, let's examine that. Let's start with the pendulum (bag) being at the highest point of its arc. It has no momentum, only a certain amount (P1) of potential energy due to gravitation relative to the lowest point of its arc. Now, it begins swinging, converting - due to the force of gravity - that potential energy into kinetic energy, and, as it reaches the lowest point of its arc, it attains its maximum amount (K) of kinetic energy. It then moves against the force of gravity, and its kinetic energy is converted again into potential energy, reaching a maximum amount (P2) at the highest point of its arc on the other side.

Note well: P1 = K = P2.

The total energy of the system is constant. In the absence of any other forces which actually deprive it of energy (air resistance; friction, to which Bart alludes), all that is happening is an endless (perpetual) transfer of potential energy into kinetic energy and then back into potential energy. Gravity is not having any effect on the energy in the system, only on the proportion in which that energy is split between potential and kinetic.

Same question. So a pendulum a vacuum goes forever?

All oscillations fall within the range of 31 to 38 frames.

That's as expected. The amount of energy loss, again, is roughly 1% that which it would be on Earth. It's very small. We're very probably not going to be able to detect it in the video.

I have to go out and have fun now. I hope others get involved in this thought experiment.

We might be able to solve the energy crisis with these Einsteins. :)

I have analysed the footage.

OK, but the question is, should we see a slow down at such a short time?

Again what do you think slows the pendulum down in a vacuum at 1/6 G?
It is interesting how perception is altered depending on belief.
As you demonstrate here.

OK, but the question is, should we see a slow down at such a short time?

Again what do you think slows the pendulum down in a vacuum at 1/6 G?

As you demonstrate here.

one more before ducking out.

Oscillation is not a measure of time.

Here is another question which is the same as the last.

Does a bouncing ball bounce forever in a vacuum?

Here is another question which is the same as the last.

Does a bouncing ball bounce forever in a vacuum?

It's not quite the same question, although they are closely related. The answer is that if the ball did not lose energy in some way, then, yes, it would bounce forever in a vacuum - gravity would, again, simply transfer potential energy into kinetic energy and back again. However, just as the pendulum loses energy via friction at its pivot point, the bouncing ball loses energy upon impact with the ground, mostly in the form of heat and sound: see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouncing_ball#Impact

Note: I am simplifying by assuming that the ball is not rotating.

So a pendulum in a vacuum goes forever. Hmmm... interesting :)
No, that is not what i said, i said an ideal pendulum would go for ever.
An ideal pendulum is impossible, as i said before.
It would mean a friction-less pivot point a mass-less string, operate in a vacuum, and all mass at the lowest point of the pendulum. In these conditions it would go on forever.

But lower friction because of lower gravity, and no aerodynamic drag, significantly reduce the loss of energy per oscillation cycle of the pendulum.
Let us say we lose about 1% of the energy we would lose on earth.

Lower gravity means a longer period, by a factor of about 2,5 in case of 1/6 G.

So reduced energy loss per cycle by a factor of hundred, and two and a half less cycles for the same time, results in the bag possibly swinging 250 times longer on the moon!

That means that for the short time we observe the bag, we probably would not see an reduction in speed at all.

Last edited:
Back