Dr. Dana Sawyer’s Biography of Spiritual Giant Houston Smith |335|

Discussion in 'Skeptiko Shows' started by Alex, Dec 6, 2016.

1. I've come around to the side that's amused by this idea that religion is an endangered species whose fate we'll be deciding on any time soon.

The very fact that religious populations are likely to rise in all but the Western world might suggest that even the West will return to being more religious than not over time. When all the Western kids' e-friends who are also Taylor Swift or Zayn Malik fans from other parts of the world are religious you might expect some give & take each way toward some kind of middle.

Steve likes this.
  2. http://www.pewforum.org/2015/04/02/religious-projections-2010-2050/

The Future of World Religions: Population Growth Projections, 2010-2050
    • Atheists, agnostics and other people who do not affiliate with any religion – though increasing in countries such as the United States and France – will make up a declining share of the world’s total population.
    [​IMG]

http://www.conservapedia.com/Essay:_10_reasons_why_American_atheism_will_see_a_significant_decline
    Essay: 10 reasons why American atheism will see a significant decline

Sciborg_S_Patel likes this.
  3. Steve

Steve Member

Maybe it'll be a more enlightened type of religion. I am a true believer in thinking in a spiritual way, but I am well aware of the traps. It's complicated.

Sciborg_S_Patel likes this.
  4. Ah I wasn't trying to necessarily say it was good or bad, just pointing out that the stark reality is that the question "Is atheism worth preserving?" would be better inline with the actual future rather than the exaggerated claims of religions' demise.

Steve and Jim_Smith like this.
  5. Ian Gordon

Ian Gordon Ninshub Member

Huston Smith passed away last Friday.

tim and Stephen Wright like this.
  6. Alex

Alex New

thx for letting us know. awesome guy. rest in peace.

tim and Ian Gordon like this.
  7. K9!

K9! New

Ian Gordon and tim like this.