Dr. Julie Beischel Clearing Up Myths About Mediums |371|

Discussion in 'Skeptiko Shows' started by Alex, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Alex

Alex New

great topic! seems to be coming up a lot lately. would you be willing to help me co-produce a skeptiko episode on this, Richard?

2. Larry

Larry Member

I think you have to consider that the ultimate nature of inner voices remains a mystery and that our own consciousness has a lot to do with determining their quality
    Take John Macks research with UFO abductees and how The experiencers experience would change over time often from malevolent to at least somewhat benevolent

Richard Cox likes this.
  3. Alex

Alex New

I love this point!!!
    the ultimate nature of inner voices remains a mystery

Richard Cox likes this.
  4. dpdownsouth

dpdownsouth Member

I find this very convincing, Jim!

It reminds me of something I saw on local TV here in South Africa years ago: Gordon ' the psychic barber' Smith was doing medium-ship for people calling in on one of those general interest type talk shows. At one point he stops what he's doing and says that someone is trying to contact a young man who's currently working in the studio next door and has very recently lost his mother. A producer was duly dispatched and soon returned with a very confused looking sound guy who confirmed everything the 'psychic barber' had to say.

Ok, it doesn't rule out superPSY like your experience..... but I still like the story.

Cheers.

Charlie Primero and Jim_Smith like this.
  5. dpdownsouth

dpdownsouth Member

It would make a great T-shirt!

David Bailey likes this.
  6. Charlie Primero

Charlie Primero Member

Just receive the first ever email from the WindBridge Research Center e-mail newsletter.

I didn't even know Skeptiko had a YouTube channel! :)

7. Richard Cox

Richard Cox Member

Thanks for your responses to my post, I fond them really helpful. I listened to a documentary on Joe Fisher's experience which left him feeling deceived by the entity (or entities) he was connecting with.

I also listened to some of the talks of Esther Hicks, famous for channelling a spirit called Abraham. She (or more accurately, he) is sometimes asked about malevolent or deceptive spirits and how to avoid them. He explains it in terms of the 'victim' having made a subtle invitation to the entity and being in resonance with it.

On the point about John Mack's research and how people's experience would change from negative to more positive over time – I know there is a school of thought within the Hearing Voices community that believes the voices are always ultimately positive, no matter malevolent they may at first appear. They change when their message is understood and integrated.

The question remains then, when people contact loved ones through mediums, how can they test/know that it's not the entity equivalent of a telephone scammer? Joe Fisher noted that the entity deceiving him gave highly accurate information about the person he claimed to have been, but got the most basic detail – his own name – wrong. He wondered if something prevented the entity from lying in entirety.

8. Charlie Primero

Charlie Primero Member

Ooosh.

That's a tough one.

My first instinct is that it's not possible.

9. Obiwan

Obiwan Member

I guess you can’t ultimately. Perhaps the question is ‘how likely is it?’ given the particular circumstances, and to what end? As for Joe Fisher he didn’t personally know any of the purported communicator IIRC so had no way at all to validate them even if he could check all the facts. If the ‘wrong name’ refers to the character claiming to be a pilot, there is an explanation in the book as to why the wrong name may have been used deliberately.