Eban Alexander's New Book

Is this the Eben Alexander who was terminated/suspended from multiple hospital positions, and has been the subject of several malpractice lawsuits, including at least two involving the alteration of medical records to cover up a medical error?

I understand from the Dunning thread that this sort of information is cromulent...

Last edited:
Is this the Eben Alexander who was terminated/suspended from multiple hospital positions, and had been the subject of several malpractice lawsuits, including at least two involving the alteration of medical records to cover up a medical error?

I understand from the Dunning thread that this sort of information is cromulent...

Yeah, I don't really get why the NDE community still lets Alexander in the door.

Is this the Eben Alexander who was terminated/suspended from multiple hospital positions, and has been the subject of several malpractice lawsuits, including at least two involving the alteration of medical records to cover up a medical error?

Yes, the same one you have a poster of in your bedroom that you idolize each day. You're not fooling us Malf ;-)

What is it about?

His second book was initially purported to be more along the scientific lines, which of course, we were hoping would be something new and enlightening. But sounds like it's probably just a recap of what we already know

Yeah, I don't really get why the NDE community still lets Alexander in the door.

If he can add anything from a scientific perspective, I'd still like to hear it. Regardless of what he did in his past, scientific facts should be able to stand on their own merit in the long run. Unfortunately, from what I read so far, I think it's going to just regurgitate what we already know about NDEs.

If he can add anything from a scientific perspective, I'd still like to hear it. Regardless of what he did in his past, scientific facts should be able to stand on their own merit in the long run. Unfortunately, from what I read so far, I think it's going to just regurgitate what we already know about NDEs.

I guess given the popularity of his first book he does seem to be the best person to open discussion about NDEs, spiritual experiences related to the deceased, and the place of science with regard to such things.

Probably not a book those well-versed in NDE research will find compelling, but it could definitely open the way for better representatives like Bruce Greyson to reach the public ear.

I guess he is having his fifteen minutes of fame. I read a summary of his experience and couldn't see much of evidential value in it tbh. I can see he probably had a transformative experience, the trouble is they often don't travel well.

I guess given the popularity of his first book he does seem to be the best person to open discussion about NDEs, spiritual experiences related to the deceased, and the place of science with regard to such things.

Probably not a book those well-versed in NDE research will find compelling, but it could definitely open the way for better representatives like Bruce Greyson to reach the public ear.

Yeah, no doubt, would much rather hear from a Greyson, etc. That whole Esquire thing definitely took respect and trust away from anything Alexander says. But, Alexander is scientifically trained and the NDE field can use all the input it can get. Just gotta weigh what he says even more heavily now, which is unfortunate. It would, however, fit one of the NDE patterns - semi-ratty personalities getting transformed for the better.

The Esquire article was bunk:
http://ncu9nc.blogspot.com/2013/08/dr-eben-alexander-vindicated-why-you.html
I am saddened by and gravely disappointed by the article recently published in Esquire. The content attributed to me is both out of context and does not accurately portray the events around Dr. Eben Alexander’s hospitalization. I felt my side of the story was misrepresented by the reporter. I believe Dr. Alexander has made every attempt to be factual in his accounting of events. —Dr. Laura Potter

Other criticisms don't stand up when other witnesses are interviewed, witnesses confirm they did see the rainbow, witnesses confirm they did hear Alexander shout for help, and the quote by the Dalai Lama was misconstrued. See the link for details and supporting reference.

The Esquire article was bunk:
http://ncu9nc.blogspot.com/2013/08/dr-eben-alexander-vindicated-why-you.html

Other criticisms don't stand up when other witnesses are interviewed, witnesses confirm they did see the rainbow, witnesses confirm they did hear Alexander shout for help, and the quote by the Dalai Lama was misconstrued. See the link for details and supporting reference.

Jim, I agree the medical part of the esquire article was bunk. I wrote a blog article on that. But, it looks like Esquire was a bit more accurate on the "character assasination" bit they ran on him (like the stuff @malf mentioned). Some of that was bunk too, but enough wasn't to put Alexander in a bad light.

Most of the NDE researchers are not neurosurgeons and have not had an NDE themselves. Alexander is a neurosurgeon so he has a lot to add about what the brain is capable of and isn't capable of (not just book learning but experience with patients), and because he is an experiencer and understands both the experience and the brain he is unique in the field.

And that is why the materialists are gunning for him. The fact that he thought consciousness was produced by the brain before his NDE but changed his mind afterward makes him an intolerable threat and explains why a materialist would lie in order to discredit him.

http://ncu9nc.blogspot.com/2012/10/neurosurgeon-dr-eben-alexander-heaven.html
Coming from a neurosurgeon who, before my coma, thought I was quite certain how the brain and the mind interacted and it was clear to me that there were many things I could do or see done on my patients and it would eliminate consciousness. It was very clear in that realm that the brain gives you consciousness and everything else and when the brain dies there goes consciousness, soul, mind—it’s all gone. And it was clear.

Now, having been through my coma, I can tell you that’s exactly wrong and that in fact the mind and consciousness are independent of the brain. It’s very hard to explain that, certainly if you’re limiting yourself to that reductive materialist view.

Last edited:
Back