Eben Alexander and Graham Nicholls interview

Hi all,

Those of you who have enjoyed the NDE and OBE threads on Skeptiko may enjoy the recent interview involving Eben Alexander, Graham Nicholls and sceptical scientist Jane Aspel, Its on the Unbelievable podcast which is on Premier Christian Radio. Don't let that put you off the host allows debate to happen and there isn't any real overt mention of Christianity in the programme. Heres the link:

http://www.premierchristianradio.co...xander-near-death-and-out-of-body-experiences

Enjoy

An interesting listen (also a little longer that I'd expected).

I thought Graham Nicholls came across as quite level-headed, and was able to clearly discuss the AWARE study as well as other evidence. Jane Aspell seemed rather desperate to dismiss any evidence at every opportunity, and then claim there was no evidence. She desperately clung to the "extraordinary claims" mantra rather like a vampire hunter clutching a bunch of garlic and a wooden stake. Eben was ok, but he did seem to respond rather too often by recommending people to read his book, rather than just state his case clearly.

Last edited:
I agree I don't think Dr Alexander came over to well at points. His explanation of why he timed his NDE was clear as mud....and he made it sound like mainstream neuroscience was moving to a field model of consciousness, when as Jane Aspel pointed out, this is not a dominant view or paradigm in the field. Still it was a good discussion and Nicholls did a good job. Would have been nice to see Aspel challenged a little bit more strongly regarding the difference between what science knows and what it assumes by virtue of methodological naturalism which she didn't quite seem to grasp.

Eben was ok, but he did seem to respond rather too often by recommending people to read his book, rather than just state his case clearly.
I haven't listened to the podcast and that's my point. Some people prefer, and do better with, audio communication. Others prefer and are much clearer with the written word. I don't know but Eben may be in the latter. IMO because interviews and debates are on-the-spot things they do not always lend themselves to the details.

Frankly, if you haven't listened, you don't have a point. Anything else is pure speculation.
:eek:I hope you have more comprehension about other things you post about.

My point is valid. It may be misplaced but only if what you posted about Eben is completely incorrect. If your assessment of his performance is at least somewhat accurate, then my point is properly targeted.