Electrocortical activity associated with subjective communication with the deceased

Cool new research from some former Skeptiko guests:
http://www.frontiersin.org/consciousness_research/10.3389/fpsyg.2013.00834/abstract

Each experimental participant performed two tasks with eyes closed. In the first task, the participant was given only the first name of a deceased person and asked 25 questions. After each question, the participant was asked to silently perceive information relevant to the question for 20 s and then respond verbally. Responses were transcribed and then scored for accuracy by individuals who knew the deceased persons. Of the four mediums whose accuracy could be evaluated, three scored significantly above chance (p < 0.03). The correlation between accuracy and brain activity during the 20 s of silent mediumship communication was significant in frontal theta for one participant (p < 0.01).

Absolutely fascinating Alex. This really feels like it may be a significant step forward in trying to begin to unravel what may be occurring during mediumship communications. Fascinating that we may be seeing a unique mental signature peculiar to mediumship communications and distinct from the signatures (in the brain) associated with imagination (creativity), memory or other mental states. This feels like a very important step to really fleshing out a robust method of study, and uncovering some incredibly interesting and informative data in the process. Thanks for posting Alex.

Really interesting. :) From the abstract, the study's findings suggest that the experience of communicating with the deceased may be a distinct mental state that is not consistent with brain activity during ordinary thinking or imagination. This just reminded me of the NDE paper by Prof. Steve Laureys et. al. in PLOS ONE (2013) where they said,
The present study showed that NDE memories contained more characteristics than real event memories and coma memories. Thus, this suggests that they cannot be considered as imagined event memories.
http://www.plosone.org/article/info...0;jsessionid=048AF3B2A969F437C5BE466505A2AB9F

So does this imply that NDE memories also are memories from a "distinct mental state" not to do with "ordinary thinking or imagination"? Does the first quote above fit for NDEs as well?

The "richness" of the NDE memories was important and I guess this is essentially what is being measured, "To our surprise, NDEs were much richer than any imagined event or any real event of these coma survivors", Laureys reported. "The difference was so vast".
Source CNN http://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/09/health/belgium-near-death-experiences/

. This just reminded me of the NDE paper by Prof. Steve Laureys et. al. in PLOS ONE (2013) where they said,
The present study showed that NDE memories contained more characteristics than real event memories and coma memories. Thus, this suggests that they cannot be considered as imagined event memories.
http://www.plosone.org/article/info...0;jsessionid=048AF3B2A969F437C5BE466505A2AB9F
I have an issue with the premises there, but maybe this study should have its own thread?

F

Frank Matera

These differences suggest that the impression of communicating with the deceased may be a distinct mental state distinct from ordinary thinking or imagination.
I'm very excited to see that this is the sort of science they are looking at these days with Mediumship!!

Anyone that has done Mediumship knows this is exactly the sort of "zone" you get into... the less you "think" the more it flows... so it does not surprise me in the least to see that it is a different part of the brain doing it's thing.

I'd actually like to see what chemical changes happen in the brain as well. I know myself... before every single time I get up on a platform or in front of an audience I am a ball of nerves... yet once I make "The connection" you are completely calm and in control. I have a friend who is absolutely petrified of public speaking and turns into a crying mess... yet when she does Mediumship she is the most calm well spoken person you could meet... yet other forms of public speaking she freezes up.

I'll have to keep an eye out on this study.