ESP Techniques

I am starting a thread where we can discuss methods that may correlate with better ESP results, or better ESP ability. It seems to me science is very constrained when doing formal trials. They have to use a lot of protocols and it is a very slow process. This is very much the way it should be. But I think there is also some merit in just sloppily trying everything you can think of, kinda like a psi brainstorming session.
upload_2016-4-19_12-35-49.png
I downloaded a simple app called "esp trainer" promoted by Russel Targ. It is nothing more than a 4 card guessing game, very simple. What intrigues me is that you can train yourself or try different techniques to improve over time. I have had some very interesting results that show the following techniques as aides of ESP:

1. Quiet Mind - this is one that we all know about. You must keep your mind as blank as possible and let information come in. This has a small positive effect for me, and it seems there is a tiny sweet spot in time where I can sense the correct answer. This is also very difficult. My mind can get pretty quiet, but one bias that keeps entering is the idea that there must be some pattern. For example, if I pick a card once, I always want to not pick it a second time. This is a type of sloppy analytical thinking and it's very hard for me to get rid of it. Nevertheless, with this method I can consistently get 30% when chance would be 25%

2. Belief - I want this one to be true. The idea is that true, unquestioning belief will change the reality to conform with your expectations. I tested this one by picking a card and trying to "believe" that this was the correct choice, rather than using intuition or information gathering. This one had inconsistent results, but seemed to help a but when combined with the "quiet mind" technique.

3. Right-Brain Use - This is the one that blew my mind. I closed my right eye, and held the phone to my left so that I had to look left to view it. The idea was to use more of my right brain when doing this task. Immediately, three trials in a row I got 46% three times in a row, when 25% is chance. This is really an unbelievable result if you think about it. Obviously, with 3 tests, there is nothing scientific here but it is very interesting. I definitely felt a more obvious (yet still very subtle) intuitive sweet spot when using this method.

Would love to get some feedback for ideas or experiences in this area.

4. Emotion or meaning
Since psi seems to work most strongly around emotional or meaningful things I wonder if you could make some sort of associations with the colors that would help.. But maybe this would just add bias since you are the one creating the associations. I don't know.

I am starting a thread where we can discuss methods that may correlate with better ESP results, or better ESP ability. It seems to me science is very constrained when doing formal trials. They have to use a lot of protocols and it is a very slow process. This is very much the way it should be. But I think there is also some merit in just sloppily trying everything you can think of, kinda like a psi brainstorming session.
View attachment 728
I downloaded a simple app called "esp trainer" promoted by Russel Targ. It is nothing more than a 4 card guessing game, very simple. What intrigues me is that you can train yourself or try different techniques to improve over time. I have had some very interesting results that show the following techniques as aides of ESP:

1. Quiet Mind - this is one that we all know about. You must keep your mind as blank as possible and let information come in. This has a small positive effect for me, and it seems there is a tiny sweet spot in time where I can sense the correct answer. This is also very difficult. My mind can get pretty quiet, but one bias that keeps entering is the idea that there must be some pattern. For example, if I pick a card once, I always want to not pick it a second time. This is a type of sloppy analytical thinking and it's very hard for me to get rid of it. Nevertheless, with this method I can consistently get 30% when chance would be 25%

2. Belief - I want this one to be true. The idea is that true, unquestioning belief will change the reality to conform with your expectations. I tested this one by picking a card and trying to "believe" that this was the correct choice, rather than using intuition or information gathering. This one had inconsistent results, but seemed to help a but when combined with the "quiet mind" technique.

3. Right-Brain Use - This is the one that blew my mind. I closed my right eye, and held the phone to my left so that I had to look left to view it. The idea was to use more of my right brain when doing this task. Immediately, three trials in a row I got 46% three times in a row, when 25% is chance. This is really an unbelievable result if you think about it. Obviously, with 3 tests, there is nothing scientific here but it is very interesting. I definitely felt a more obvious (yet still very subtle) intuitive sweet spot when using this method.

Would love to get some feedback for ideas or experiences in this area.
'Flow', when driving the car is one of the most interesting to me... ( I don't know if it's s real effect or not). Choices are highly restricted by road layout, signage, and other road users etc... all one has to do is relax, and 'feel' whether one wants to go faster/slower by pressing/depressing accelerator... purely binary choice.

One seems to have to learn to let go of what one wants to happen (ego?), and instead go with the flow of what 'feels' right... one gets better at letting go, and separating ego, from feelings. I generally found myself arriving at my destination more relaxed, and in touch...

It gets a bit weird when you start slowing down, or speeding up for turnings, where you no longer have to come to a halt because it seems like you are predicting the traffic far better using just faster/slower. But when things get hectic or unexpected 'learning' kicks back in, and flow disappears.

The Sony protocols seem interesting, particularly if one opens a window, whilst feeling the correct flow (from practicing the driving flow above), and a good/happy calm sense of wellbeing.

Ouija looks interesting, even if it's just yes/no use by utilising something similar to UBC's Ouija study.

Finally... start inventing things in a little niche... this is the idea of creating genuinely new patterns. It's hard work. My belief being that new patterns are like blank canvases. There is so little blurring (interference) because the pattern is new and unknown, that coherence with like-patterns is better, with less averaging/blurring interference.

Stop watching, reading, listening to media, I suspect you get forced into accessing patterns that are not your own, and that clouds ones ability to 'flow', and prevents one from developing/creating ones owns patterns.

Ultimately, I think achieving a degree of freedom to create ones own patterns is the main goal. I suspect that even though sharing patterns has been crucial to our development, it has probably gone a little too far, and freedom to create ones own patterns has become too restricted.

Probably makes little sense, but there you are... :)

4. Emotion or meaning
Since psi seems to work most strongly around emotional or meaningful things I wonder if you could make some sort of associations with the colors that would help.. But maybe this would just add bias since you are the one creating the associations. I don't know.
Good addition! I recall some study where emotional significance had a large effect on retro-causality, which can be conceived as a form of ESP.

'Flow', when driving the car is one of the most interesting to me... ( I don't know if it's s real effect or not). Choices are highly restricted by road layout, signage, and other road users etc... all one has to do is relax, and 'feel' whether one wants to go faster/slower by pressing/depressing accelerator... purely binary choice.

One seems to have to learn to let go of what one wants to happen (ego?), and instead go with the flow of what 'feels' right... one gets better at letting go, and separating ego, from feelings. I generally found myself arriving at my destination more relaxed, and in touch...

It gets a bit weird when you start slowing down, or speeding up for turnings, where you no longer have to come to a halt because it seems like you are predicting the traffic far better using just faster/slower. But when things get hectic or unexpected 'learning' kicks back in, and flow disappears.
Totally. I'm a very anxious individual, so I'm a little surprised that I got any results on these tests. I have a really hard time relaxing, much less entering a trance state. But driving definitely induces a very strong trance state even in me. So I think you are onto something here.

Ouija looks interesting, even if it's just yes/no use by utilising something similar to UBC's Ouija study.
Ouija is the kind of thing that makes me wonder if belief is the fundamental driving force. It's just hard for me to understand how a board could act as a mediumistic tool. Historically, there are many, many such tools that come and go. Dowsing rods come to mind. It would be interesting to be able to measure "belief" in any particular tool, and it's effect on the results. After all, many of these objects do seem to work, and then after much debunking and skepticism, they start not working. The Sheep-Goat effect is very relevant here. And the Placebo Effect is another rich vein of evidence for the power of belief. That leaves us with a very practical question. How to we induce strong belief at will, so that we can test these effects properly?

Stop watching, reading, listening to media, I suspect you get forced into accessing patterns that are not your own, and that clouds ones ability to 'flow', and prevents one from developing/creating ones owns patterns.
Probably makes little sense, but there you are... :)
Excellent advice. The media is very powerful at shaping individual and collective reality, and generally not in a direction we would prefer.

Another possibility I'm exploring is synthetic telepathy, which probably ties into quantum non-locality somehow. I recently discovered this project by the eminent Michael Persinger, the same guy who gave us what the media labeled "the God helmet".
http://excesscorrelation.net/

I just realized there is another thread about this.
And I thought I was cutting edge lol. Still worth mentioning again:
http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/threads/the-excess-correlation-project.2786/

Although the project aims are obscured by some jargon and math, they make it quite clear that they have observed some non-local effects using this technology. It is not a huge leap from there to being able to test ESP using this setup. In fact, they are asking you and me to try the experiment and tell them about our "experiences". This shows clearly that they think there is more to this than mathematical abstraction and theory.

It's pretty amazing how democratic science is becoming, as long as you know where to look. I think universities are somewhat overwhelmed with information, so at times a project will be democratized long before it's commercialized. Google has done this by putting it's machine learning code out on the net, called "TensorFlow". There is a gentleman out there who has developed a cheap kit for people to learn and experiment with CRISPR. And there are many more examples which I find very inspiring.

Anyway, I'm building the excess correlation device as we speak (it's not that difficult), and would encourage anyone else here to try as well. Also, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it, especially how it might be used to test for ESP. :D

Last edited:
Another possibility I'm exploring is synthetic telepathy, which probably ties into quantum non-locality somehow. I recently discovered this project by the eminent Michael Persinger, the same guy who gave us what the media labeled "the God helmet".
http://excesscorrelation.net/

I just realized there is another thread about this.
And I thought I was cutting edge lol. Still worth mentioning again:
http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/threads/the-excess-correlation-project.2786/

Although the project aims are obscured by some jargon and math, they make it quite clear that they have observed some non-local effects using this technology. It is not a huge leap from there to being able to test ESP using this setup. In fact, they are asking you and me to try the experiment and tell them about our "experiences". This shows clearly that they think there is more to this than mathematical abstraction and theory.

It's pretty amazing how democratic science is becoming, as long as you know where to look. I think universities are somewhat overwhelmed with information, so at times a project will be democratized long before it's commercialized. Google has done this by putting it's machine learning code out on the net, called "TensorFlow". There is a gentleman out there who has developed a cheap kit for people to learn and experiment with CRISPR. And there are many more examples which I find very inspiring.

Anyway, I'm building the excess correlation device as we speak (it's not that difficult), and would encourage anyone else here to try as well. Also, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it, especially how it might be used to test for ESP. :D
I don't think it's possible to get any anomolous effect from reusing the same patterns (coloured squares, cards etc). I think you can get apparently significant effects (spiky) at the start, but they just fall to average after lots of trials. If they don't, it's because there is something objective going on, and not an anomolous effect.

If you just reuse the same patterns, all your going to get is a blur, a smearing, and averaging.

According to my ideas, matter is the past summed to the present. It shouldn't be possible to overturn the past in an objective (shared) way.

Where you're going to see effects is in new/unique patterns. That's what we seem to see in the Sony protocols, you can increase the chance of real stuff happening when it's tied up with unique patterns.

Ouija board wise, people are convinced that they are not moving the puck... people need a method to release control to what we might call the unconscious. That method might be God, faith, hypnotism, dowsing, praying etc. However you get there... you need to truely believe it's 'summat else'. For me, these all look very similar to going into 'flow', releasing control, releasing the ego.

As we understand it now, we can get patterns out in the external world (space-like), in the brain (spatio temporal), in feelings, memory (time-like). All work together in a feedback loop, and you need to think carefully how patterns move around that system.