Felix Circle Papers

I am a member of SSE and have access to their papers. But I cannot find anything new related to the felixcircle. So maybe something will be published in the near future.

An abstract mentioning the medium from the Felix Circle was in the last PA convention book of abstracts:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/270839255/Book-of-Abstracts-2015-PA-SPR-Joint-Convention

METHODOLOGICAL ISSUES OF RESEARCH IN THE FIELD OF PHYSICAL MEDIUMISM — GENERAL CONSIDERATIONS TRIGGERED BY THE CASE OF KAI MUEGGE [SPR]
Peter Mulacz
Austrian Society for Parapsychology and Border Areas of Science Vienna, Austria

ABSTRACT
The history of Physical Mediumism is – to an overwhelming extent – the history of fraud by cheating mediums. However, it is not the role of the parapsychologist to explain how a medium has possibly faked phenomena, yet the task of the parapsychologist is to study ‘genuine’ phenomena and in order to be able to do so should undertake all possible state-of-the-art measures to secure the investigation against cheating and fraud. To do so, it is necessary that all arrangements are in the hands of the parapsychological researcher. Otherwise the parapsychologist is automatically restricted to the role of a passive observer because he cannot actively impose the control conditions he considers necessary and, even worse, his investigation will be obstructed by the conditions imposed on them by the medium or the circle leader as the medium’s mouthpiece. The loss of control on the side of the investigators puts an end to any approach claiming to be a scientific one. This is the core problem in a setting where all arrangements are in the hands of individuals allegedly on ‘the other side’, which means in practice that they are dictated by the medium. Permitting friendly ties between the investigators and the medium (fraternisation) aggravates this problem: it becomes difficult to tighten the control conditions as much as necessary. Particularly attending séances at home circles has but little value; scientific séances must occur under laboratory conditions where the investigators are in control . State-of-the-art is video-taping under infra-red illumination permitting séances to be held in the dark. Yet this is not a regimen curing everything and there are many details to be observed. A continuous dimmed red light illumination should be used with the emphasis on ‘continuous’ (as opposed to Mügge who decides when to switch the red light on and off.) Schrenck-Notzing was able to have his mediums get accustomed to the red light hence there is no reason why a medium nowadays should refuse it. Moreover, there is an abundance of ideas, hints, and instructions in the older parapsychological literature as to how to prevent mediums from cheating. A cane chair should be used, the sounds of which would give the medium away if he moves around (Grunewald). Schrenck-Notzing, in his experiments with Stanislawa Popielska, used a special ‘séance garment’, a one-piece jumpsuit with gloves sewn onto the sleeves and a mesh hood covering the head. The mesh keeps regurgitated mock ectoplasm within the hood, while genuine ectoplasm is thought to be able to penetrate the mesh and appear outside of the hood. Karl Krall invented an electrical control apparatus, which was used in Schrenck-Notzing’s laboratory and is similar to the apparatus built by Amereller for Harry Price. These are only a few examples. In case a medium does not display any sign of preparedness to cooperate and to accept strict control conditions (which in case of a fraudulent medium is only understandable from his point of view) it is necessary to abort the investigation. Finally, one needs to distinguish between deliberate fraud that is planned well in advance on one hand and ‘unconscious’ fraud during trance, so-called ‘mixed mediumship’, on the other. An example of the latter is Eusapia Palladino, who clearly stated that during her trance the urge to produce the phenomena was so strong that unless her extremities were controlled by the sitters she would rather use them instead of the obviously more demanding production of ectoplasmatic limbs. Mügge’s case is quite different from that of Palladino; like the historic case of the ‘flower medium’ Anna Rothe, he features pre-meditated action undertaken prior to presenting ‘phenomena’ later during the séance. Rothe was observed buying flowers from the market that would later ‘rain’ from the ceiling as apports during the séance. Subsequently, she was put on trial and convicted of fraud. In Mügge’s case, we have the fake cobwebs. Where conscious and deliberate fraud occurs it is absurd to speculate whether some of the ostensible phenomena might perhaps be genuinely paranormal (although the desire of some disappointed observers ‘to save what can be saved’ is psychologically understandable) and it is a waste of resources – time as well as money – to continue investigations of such pseudo-mediums.

The Felix Circle medium was caught cheating with his ectoplasm trick. Following this Stephen Braude wanted to tighten the controls on the remaining phenomenas like table levitation. Not surprisingly the Felix Circle has not been forthcoming on this request. Judgement of the genuineness of the phenomenas is up to you.

I think that Dr. Nahm made a good case when discussing the possibility of fraud. I am personally convinced that this is nothing more than smoke and mirrors.

The Felix Circle medium was caught cheating with his ectoplasm trick.
This is incorrect. Kai Muegge has never been caught acting in a fraudulent manner. Nahm "The Wolf" (Nahm's description of himself) put together information that he believes suggest fraud. So be that, it is his choice.

Simply, all one has to do is to attend a Muegge seance and make judgment for themselves. Few choose to do so nut they are allowed their opinion regardless of the underlying lack of credibility that opinion obviously has.

There was no evidence presented, nor has there ever been, that Kai Muegge is fraudulent during the dozens of Nahm/Braude attended seances. Or any other seances incliding the numerous ones I have attended, People may speculate this or that, it is their privilege and their worthy contribution but it does not change the reality as I have stated above.

There was no evidence presented, nor has there ever been, that Kai Muegge is fraudulent during the dozens of Nahm/Braude attended seances. Or any other seances incliding the numerous ones I have attended, People may speculate this or that, it is their privilege and their worthy contribution but it does not change the reality as I have stated above.
Nahm visited the seances I believe and reported evidence of fraud. It's at least strongly circumstantial evidence IMHO. Short of actually catching him with his hand in the till it looks like fraud to me. I have seen no reasonable rebuttal of Nahm's observations.

Nahm visited the seances I believe and reported evidence of fraud. It's at least strongly circumstantial evidence IMHO. Short of actually catching him with his hand in the till it looks like fraud to me. I have seen no reasonable rebuttal of Nahm's observations.
I agree. I know that one of the investigators had felt that some of the phenomenon might be real and worth continued study under better controls (although Kai was never very agreeable to adequate controls), but even that investigator knew that some of the effects had clearly been faked. Nahm takes a much harder stand on the case because there was intentional fraud on the part of the medium.

Last edited:
Given the evidence that you are a fraudulent poster who has been plagiarizing many of his longer posts from the work of David Ash, your statements are not particularly credible.

http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/threads/god-dont-abandon-me.2477/#post-75554

I have been involved in studying Spiritualism for over 40 years. I have personaly attended what must be over 100 physical seances ( yes, I do not exagerate ). I think I know what to look for when fraud is being perpetrated. I have corresonded with Muegge in the past, and I am afraid the Felix Circle likes self publicity as does Muegge. On all the evidence I have seen and read these seances are suspect to say the least and he has been caught cheating.

Nahm visited the seances I believe and reported evidence of fraud.
Again, incorrect, Nahm attended many seances with Stephen Braude and suspected that there was fraud always failing to provide anything except his interpretations of circumstantial events. Braude publicly admitted to changing his report to be more inline with Nahm but also was unable to provide one event during seance that involved fraud. Keep in front, Nahm holds a doctorate in biology with a specialty of Forest Science. lol

From the following. "Speaking with Braude about his “research” report, he told me that he had a relatively positive report with only a small amount of discussion about the obligatory alternative theories. However, Nahm decided at the last minute to submit a pretty much 100% debunking article and Braude felt obligated to modify his report to more agree with Nahm’s." Google to find where this comes from, I cannot post a link.

This I agree as it was the exact same context of the emails I shared with Braude. I have sat in over a dozen Muegge seances with ectoplasm displayed in visible light.

"I'm stumbling here for just a second because there've been some late-breaking developments in that case where we have very good reason, I'd say indisputable reason, for saying that on some occasions, at least in the past, Kai the medium has deployed a magic trick. But the evidence for that doesn't seem to have tainted the work that he did under my supervision. So the summer issue of the Journal of Scientific Exploration will have two papers on the Felix Circle phenomena: one by me and one by one of my co-investigators, Michael Nahm. And we're currently reassessing the case on the basis of the shadow of suspicion that unfortunately now is cast over the case as a whole. But I would say that there are some phenomena which are still very difficult to explain away. So let me describe some of what they are:...."

From this forum. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Scientific? School boys at play. If one wishes to convict without substantial evidence that is your choice, character assassination without proper evidence is always available to those with agenda.

One last thought. Braude call the proof for afterlife a hypothesis and will never concur that the afterlife exists. It blows up his materialistic underpinnings and now that we know Braude is a self-reported author of work that was modified for political reasons, whose really, truly completely tainted permanently here?

Again, incorrect, Nahm attended many seances with Stephen Braude and suspected that there was fraud always failing to provide anything except his interpretations of circumstantial events. Braude publicly admitted to changing his report to be more inline with Nahm but also was unable to provide one event during seance that involved fraud. Keep in front, Nahm holds a doctorate in biology with a specialty of Forest Science. lol

From the following. "Speaking with Braude about his “research” report, he told me that he had a relatively positive report with only a small amount of discussion about the obligatory alternative theories. However, Nahm decided at the last minute to submit a pretty much 100% debunking article and Braude felt obligated to modify his report to more agree with Nahm’s." Google to find where this comes from, I cannot post a link.

This I agree as it was the exact same context of the emails I shared with Braude. I have sat in over a dozen Muegge seances with ectoplasm displayed in visible light.

"I'm stumbling here for just a second because there've been some late-breaking developments in that case where we have very good reason, I'd say indisputable reason, for saying that on some occasions, at least in the past, Kai the medium has deployed a magic trick. But the evidence for that doesn't seem to have tainted the work that he did under my supervision. So the summer issue of the Journal of Scientific Exploration will have two papers on the Felix Circle phenomena: one by me and one by one of my co-investigators, Michael Nahm. And we're currently reassessing the case on the basis of the shadow of suspicion that unfortunately now is cast over the case as a whole. But I would say that there are some phenomena which are still very difficult to explain away. So let me describe some of what they are:...."

From this forum. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Scientific? School boys at play. If one wishes to convict without substantial evidence that is your choice, character assassination without proper evidence is always available to those with agenda.

One last thought. Braude call the proof for afterlife a hypothesis and will never concur that the afterlife exists. It blows up his materialistic underpinnings and now that we know Braude is a self-reported author of work that was modified for political reasons, whose really, truly completely tainted permanently here?
I think there's much more than a mere suspicion of fraud. You seem to be suggesting Nahm is accusing Muegge of fraud without explaining why, which is incorrect. There are others who were also present who report obvious indicators of fraud in detail on the spiritualismlink website along with allegations of threatening behaviour. Now you may well have witnessed genuine phenomena however I have no idea of your bone fides and even if you're right, it doesn't mean that others reporting fraud are wrong or lying. Paladino being a good example.

It is interesting that you discount Braud and Nahm and their research, and seem to expect others to take your own observations seriously.

I think there's much more than a mere suspicion of fraud. You seem to be suggesting Nahm is accusing Muegge of fraud without explaining why, which is incorrect.
I have read all of the available material from Nahm and he has his circumstantial events, which I have posted time and time again, are inconclusive even to Nahm and especially for Braude. Where you get this so-called inaccuracy is curious and appears to be agenda-driven.

March on. Thanks for the co-creation.[/quote]

I have read all of the available material from Nahm and he has his circumstantial events, which I have posted time and time again, are inconclusive even to Nahm and especially for Braude. Where you get this so-called inaccuracy is curious and appears to be agenda-driven.

March on. Thanks for the co-creation.
I have read Nahm's material. I am able to form my own view of his report which is detailed. I am satisfied that based on this and from at least one other regular member of his circle that there are grounds for believing at least some of Muege's demonstrations may not be genuine. I have no personal animosity toward the guy, I do not know him. I'd be delighted to see him proved genuine, even if only in part, as there is an enormous body of evidence that the types of phenomena he claims to produce are genuine. Just not from Kai as far as I can see at the moment. You're not adding any value to the discussion frankly.

Your suggestion that I have some kind of agenda is a disappointing but unsurprising tactic.

Obiwan, the user Punjab is MU, he also uses the name "Waller" or "Waller Joel", he was banned on Jim's spiritualismlink forum (I know you are a member over there). Even his avatar is another man (this is theft).

MU (Punjab) claims he has attended séances with Kai Muegge, but this is false. Kai keeps records of his séance sitters. No person called "Waller Joel" has ever attended séances with Kai. An internet search for Waller Joel Spiritualism brings up a lot of nonsense, even a personal radio interview. It is just another persona of MU. When his fake names become blacklisted on Google, like his previous ones Waller Joel, Tyler Snotgern, Eveshi etc he makes up a new one or impersonates people like Jon Donnis, this time it is "Punjab".