First Object Teleported to Earth's Orbit - done by the Chinese

First Object Teleported from Earth to Orbit

Researchers in China have teleported a photon from the ground to a satellite orbiting more than 500 kilometers above.

Last year, a Long March 2D rocket took off from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Centre in the Gobi Desert carrying a satellite called Micius, named after an ancient Chinese philosopher who died in 391 B.C. The rocket placed Micius in a Sun-synchronous orbit so that it passes over the same point on Earth at the same time each day.

Micius is a highly sensitive photon receiver that can detect the quantum states of single photons fired from the ground. That’s important because it should allow scientists to test the technological building blocks for various quantum feats such as entanglement, cryptography, and teleportation.

Today, the Micius team announced the results of its first experiments. The team created the first satellite-to-ground quantum network, in the process smashing the record for the longest distance over which entanglement has been measured. And they’ve used this quantum network to teleport the first object from the ground to orbit.

The curious thing about entanglement is that this shared existence continues even when the photons are separated by vast distances. So a measurement on one immediately influences the state of the other, regardless of the distance between them.

Back in the 1990s, scientists realized they could use this link to transmit quantum information from one point in the universe to another. The idea is to “download” all the information associated with one photon in one place and transmit it over an entangled link to another photon in another place.

This second photon then takes on the identity of the first. To all intents and purposes, it becomes the first photon. That’s the nature of teleportation and it has been performed many times in labs on Earth.

To perform the experiment, the Chinese team created entangled pairs of photons on the ground at a rate of about 4,000 per second. They then beamed one of these photons to the satellite, which passed overhead every day at midnight. They kept the other photon on the ground.

Finally, they measured the photons on the ground and in orbit to confirm that entanglement was taking place, and that they were able to teleport photons in this way. Over 32 days, they sent millions of photons and found positive results in 911 cases. “We report the first quantum teleportation of independent single-photon qubits from a ground observatory to a low Earth orbit satellite—through an up-link channel— with a distance up to 1400 km,” says the Chinese team.

This is the first time that any object has been teleported from Earth to orbit, and it smashes the record for the longest distance for entanglement.

That’s impressive work that sets the stage for much more ambitious goals in the future. “This work establishes the first ground-to-satellite up-link for faithful and ultra-long-distance quantum teleportation, an essential step toward global-scale quantum internet,” says the team.

It also shows China’s obvious dominance and lead in a field that, until recently, was led by Europe and the U.S.—Micius would surely have been impressed. But an important question now is how the West will respond.

Source

I'd heard somewhere that entanglement might surpass the speed of light but we'd need the facilities much deeper in space to check it, what do you guys think?

The short anwser is no, that's not possible.
The slighlty long answer is here:
https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/15282/quantum-entanglement-faster-than-speed-of-light

Cheers
That's an interesting wording, regarding information travelling, or indeed anything travelling, faster than the speed of light. It is probably key to the nature of entanglement. It is usually considered that it is not possible to transmit information using entanglement as a mechanism.

My own question would be can anything be said to travel between the entangled particles, or is that simply a misleading way of considering the phenomenon? It always seems to me as though entangled particles are not really separated at all, though I'm not sure even I know quite what I mean by that. Perhaps other dimensions are involved?

It always seems to me as though entangled particles are not really separated at all, though I'm not sure even I know quite what I mean by that. Perhaps other dimensions are involved?
I think other dimensions are involved almost by definition.

A dimension could be thought of as a similar difference.... or conceptually the very least amount of difference.

An identity is established based on an arbitrary amount of similarity and an arbitrarily limited amount of difference. From a practical naive realism perspective, the most obvious way to define an identity is to look for smooth transitions in space and time... a.k.a. paths or shapes.

When a smooth path has a stepwise change (or a quantum leap) this is counter to the naive realism perspective we naturally develop, but it doesn't mean that an identity cannot be expanded to include stepwise changes if there are other similarities to hang the identity on.

To maintain the "smoothness of path" requirement for identity necessitated by our naive realism, we can imagine that space or time is folded like a sheet of paper through an additional dimension so that two different locations are in some way touching or identical. This "some way" is a dimension.

When you fold a piece of paper so that distant regions touch, you have two coincident points, but one is flipped 180 degrees. What does it mean to say a point of infinite smallness is flipped? I don't know but I feel like this has to be the metaphor to understand quantum entanglement and why spins of entangled particles flip simultaneously.

Whether we choose to say the two particles are different particles or the same particle is a matter of purpose and practicality, but there does exist a dimension - a similar difference - that allows us to say they are the same particle without the usual "smooth path" requirement.

Edit: I really need to find a different word here for "naive realism" because that doesn't express exactly what I'm meaning and can actually be a pejorative... what I mean is the intuitive concept gained from our natural form of experience.

It's been years and about a dozen articles and videos that I've seen on quantum entanglement and I STILL don't understand it.
I just had to keep immersing myself in a trusted source... I still have to refresh my understand before talking about QM, and I don't understand the math... it's less counter intuitive than it was.