Flat EEG and Neural activity

Just a general question for now. Have you managed to put your experiences into any sort of intellectual framework, or must they simply be accepted for what they are? Or maybe intellectual understanding is not so important?

I have a framework for understanding my experience.This was a process. I was born into a culture disconnected from its understanding of such experiences. Since the witch-hunts all cultural understanding which is outside the doctrine of the church and then of science has been suppressed. So there is no vocabulary and no constructs from my cultural lexicon on which to hang my experience. Add to this an epiphany which is in itself beyond words. So there is no framework for anyone around me other than dogma, whether that is religious or scientific dogma. Knowing this, I have been extremely protective of the experience and true to it. It belongs to me. But to talk about it I have to borrow vocab from other places to try and give meaning to the experience. It doesn't mean those are my models. I also am rigorous with what I know to be absolutely true and what interpretation makes sense. As well as this my experience continues to unfold and with it my understanding. Some aspects await clarification....like, why me? Parts are so unexpected and so difficult to comprehend in the framework of most people's lived experience in my culture. They are almost impossible to discuss, not just because of a lack of words or concepts but because they are too hard to grasp. If I can't reasonably share knowledge then I presume that I am the only person that knowledge is intended for. It is part of what I need to know to be who I now am. I'm not sure if that makes sense.

I think I could happily, or at least contentedly, live out my life in Kansas. There is so much wonder and mystery in the ordinary world that I feel privileged to be a part of it. But if there's more, if ordinary physical reality is only part of the picture, then so much the better. The bottom line is, I want to know the truth. Big "T" or little "t". I would rather know an unsettling truth than believe a comforting falsehood. Of course, the trick is distinguishing which is which.

Some days I am homesick for Kansas but I would never willingly leave Oz. But my husband is stranded on the yellow brick road between the two.

Last edited:
I have a framework for understanding my experience.This was a process. I was born into a culture disconnected from its understanding of such experiences. Since the witch-hunts all cultural understanding which is outside the doctrine of the church and then of science has been suppressed. So there is no vocabulary and no constructs from my cultural lexicon on which to hang my experience. Add to this an epiphany which is in itself beyond words. So there is no framework for anyone around me other than dogma, whether that is religious or scientific dogma. Knowing this, I have been extremely protective of the experience and true to it. It belongs to me. But to talk about it I have to borrow vocab from other places to try and give meaning to the experience. It doesn't mean those are my models. I also am rigorous with what I know to be absolutely true and what interpretation makes sense. As well as this my experience continues to unfold and with it my understanding. Some aspects await clarification....like, why me? Parts are so unexpected and so difficult to comprehend in the framework of most people's lived experience in my culture. They are almost impossible to discuss, not just because of a lack of words or concepts but because they are too hard to grasp. If I can't reasonably share knowledge then I presume that I am the only person that knowledge is intended for. It is part of what I need to know to be who I now am. I'm not sure if that makes sense.
Yes, it does. Thanks for that.
Some days I am homesick for Kansas but I would never willingly leave Oz. But my husband is stranded on the yellow brick road between the two.
I wish you both the best.

Pat

As someone who devoured all the Oz books, I ask you to please, please stop mangling this metaphor. :)

Linda

Yes of course Linda. Its the metaphor that matters.

I realize you are being sarcastic, and I did put a smiley on my post, so neither of us takes this too seriously. But if one is using a literary device to convey a message, it does make communication a bit confusing when the message conveyed is at odds with the rest of what is said.

Linda

I realize you are being sarcastic, and I did put a smiley on my post, so neither of us takes this too seriously. But if one is using a literary device to convey a message, it does make communication a bit confusing when the message conveyed is at odds with the rest of what is said.

Linda

I take your point and you are right but sometimes when very personal things are being shared it is better to live with the confusion. It places priority on tuning into the person rather than tuning into the message.

Back