Future Interviews

From my reading of the quotes from Radin which you provided, nowhere does he say anything nearly so definitive as "there is no evidence that memory can persist without a body", his views seem much more open and receptive to me.

Dean Radin wrote:
http://deanradin.blogspot.com/2014/...howComment=1397671552280#c7109696302339332504

But until we find evidence that memory is not brain-centric, and that it too can persist without a body, then the question about precisely *what* survives remains unresolved.

From another post in another thread, these two links to NDE studies:
Characteristics of Near-Death Experiences Memories as Compared to Real and Imagined Events Memories
and
Near-death experiences in non-life-threatening events and coma of different etiologies.

Allex, if you are looking for a guest who is familiar with NDE research, and is skeptical NDE's being evidence for an afterlife, then consider Steven laureys.
He would make an excellent guest to have on this show, his expertise is in the field of minimum states of consciousness.

Last time Coyne visited Skeptiko, the comment section of the podcast was flooded and torn apart by his personal fanboy/troll squad. Alex had to ban comments for the podcast with him in the end - there was not a sign of debate here, just troll attack.

Well, his fanboys just followed the example of Dr. Coyne himself - he is nothing but a troll with academic credentials.

I'd classify Coyne as a philistine in the manner of Neil Degrasse Tyson, given their inability to genuinely comprehend what goes on in the disciplines outside science.

Consider Coyne on Intentionality.

Or rather outside their own disciplines. If you put yourself resolutely in one field, then it is unlikely you'd branch out elsewhere to any significant degree.

Which is fine until they think they can answer questions they don't understand.

@alex.tsakiris

Sciborg mentioned a great potential interview earlier in the Bernardo Kastrup thread:

Josephson! ;-)

Jessica Utts would also make for an interesting interview, especially given how often statistics get brought up around here. Perhaps she could bring clarity to the claims made by skeptics that some of these studies are not as significant as they seem.

Given the release of the big meta analysis confirming his work, would even be nice to hear from Bem again.

Thanks!

Do I CC Alex on the request email?

Or should I just see if Josephson is interested and come back and let Alex know to make the arrangements?

Do I CC Alex on the request email?

Or should I just see if Josephson is interested and come back and let Alex know to make the arrangements?

I'd probably CC. Also, if Alex pings Josephson too, maybe that would make him more likely to come on the show. Hard to say!

Another guy that might be worth getting in a bit is Yale compsci prof David Gelernter, who wrote The Closing of the Scientific Mind.

Many scientists are proud of having booted man off his throne at the center of the universe and reduced him to just one more creature—an especially annoying one—in the great intergalactic zoo. That is their right. But when scientists use this locker-room braggadocio to belittle the human viewpoint, to belittle human life and values and virtues and civilization and moral, spiritual, and religious discoveries, which is all we human beings possess or ever will, they have outrun their own empiricism. They are abusing their cultural standing. Science has become an international bully.

Nowhere is its bullying more outrageous than in its assault on the phenomenon known as subjectivity.

His book Subjectivism: The Mind from Inside will be published by Norton some time this year - would be good to get the interview around then.

Reactions: K9!
I don't think the cognitive scientist Donald Hoffman has been interviewed?

He's an idealist like Bernardo, but comes at it from a different direction. I'd be curious to see what he thinks of phenomenon such as Psi & NDEs.

Here's his Sages & Scientists presentation.

I think Captain Robert Snow would be a very interesting interview. Here is his background from Amazon.

Robert L. Snow served for 38 years at the Indianapolis Police Department, retiring in 2007 with the rank of captain. While at the police department he served in such capacities as Police Department Executive Officer, Captain of Detectives, and Commander of the Homicide Branch.

he wrote a very interesting little book documenting tracking down what was veridical in some past lives regression sessions he went through. The contrast between his police background and his experience is particularly interesting. Fun read.

http://www.amazon.com/Looking-Carro...&sr=1-1&keywords=looking+for+carroll+beckwith

I think Captain Robert Snow would be a very interesting interview. Here is his background from Amazon.

he wrote a very interesting little book documenting tracking down what was veridical in some past lives regression sessions he went through. The contrast between his police background and his experience is particularly interesting. Fun read.

http://www.amazon.com/Looking-Carroll-Beckwith-Stories-Detectives/dp/1579541011/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1411508277&sr=1-1&keywords=looking for carroll beckwith
interesting!

I want to second Sci''s suggestion. I read the article he links to today and after visiting his faculty profile page had the same thought.

Back