He Awoke Speaking an Unknown Language

Psiclops

I have a friend who wakened himself from a vivid dream in which he knew he was speaking a language he had never heard.

He grabbed his iPhone and recorded himself. I have this recording and will try to upload it here.

Is there any software available that can identify language – if it is indeed a language – from a recording like this?

Or do I have to search for a linguistic expert who might be able to ID the language by listening to it?

And where please would I find such a willing expert?

Of course it could be simply glossolalia in the fashion of ecstatic murmurings of the Pentecostals and many shamanic peoples found not to be actual languages.

But my friend and I would really like to know especially as a medium had told him a few days before that 'spirit' wanted very much to 'work' with him.

Thanks
PS For some reason I can't upload it at present but will keep trying.

It won't allow the upload because it says it does not have an approved extension? It is an mp3 file.
I believe uploads here are limited to a max of 1MB in size. You could try adding the MP3 to a .ZIP file, which I think is permitted. Otherwise, you'll have to upload it elsewhere and post a link.

I have a friend who wakened himself from a vivid dream in which he knew he was speaking a language he had never heard.
Interesting. Psiclops, is your friend anglophone, and is English the only language he knows? Sounds Eastern Europeanish to my ears.

This site has audio from many, many different languages and dialects to sample.

I think it would be very hard to figure out what that language is, if it is one, unless you're a linguist.

Last edited:
Sounds pretty interesting. Reminds of something Native American, or Black African perhaps. But not "Eastern Europeanish" (I am an Eastern European myself).

There must be some soft for analysing acoustic signals. Some of the same sort as the one used by scientists to prove that dolphins have real language - not just a mere mash of sounds. Pity that I know nothing exact about such soft but one could explore a bit...

Thanks all for the links and comments which I am exploring.
He tells me he speaks Portuguese fluently and can get by in French, Italian and Spanish. He also speaks a little German, Dutch and Japanese...
But obviously his recording doesn't match any of these or he wouldn't be puzzled.

Thanks all for the links and comments which I am exploring.
He tells me he speaks Portuguese fluently and can get by in French, Italian and Spanish. He also speaks a little German, Dutch and Japanese...
But obviously his recording doesn't match any of these or he wouldn't be puzzled.

Maybe he's pulling a joke on you. Have you tried playing the recording backwards?

Sounds pretty interesting. Reminds of something Native American, or Black African perhaps. But not "Eastern Europeanish" (I am an Eastern European myself).

Couldn't help being reminded of "Murders in the Rue Morgue" by that comment ...

Back